wewt! Very Happy

One of the main reasons why I didn't get a Mac... cause I wasn't going to be able to use Steam!
Quote:
Portal 2 will be Valve's first simultaneous release for Mac and Windows. "Checking in code produces a PC build and Mac build at the same time, automatically, so the two platforms are perfectly in lock-step," said Josh Weier, Portal 2 Project Lead. "We're always playing a native version on the Mac right alongside the PC. This makes it very easy for us and for anyone using Source to do game development for the Mac."

Sounds like a pretty trick build system they've got going on. Kudos Valve - you guys sure know your stuff.
Kllrnohj wrote:
Quote:
Portal 2 will be Valve's first simultaneous release for Mac and Windows. "Checking in code produces a PC build and Mac build at the same time, automatically, so the two platforms are perfectly in lock-step," said Josh Weier, Portal 2 Project Lead. "We're always playing a native version on the Mac right alongside the PC. This makes it very easy for us and for anyone using Source to do game development for the Mac."

Sounds like a pretty trick build system they've got going on. Kudos Valve - you guys sure know your stuff.

Now lets all cross our fingers for a linux release sometime in the near future, if they have it working on Mac hopefully it isn't to far away.
TheStorm wrote:
Kllrnohj wrote:
Quote:

Now lets all cross our fingers for a linux release sometime in the near future, if they have it working on Mac hopefully it isn't to far away.

Given that OSX is just a ripoff of BSD, and that new Macs use Intel processors instead of PowerPC, a Linux port should be easy.
Just cause they can doesn't mean they will, but we can always hope.
The Tari wrote:
Kinda makes me wonder where native Steam on other *nixes is at. Sound and video is perhaps a bit more fragmented on other platforms, but that's nothing a couple harsh decisions can't remedy (say, use just OSS and Mesa).

I am too lazy to actually make my own post so instead I quote people and then don't say anything new.

Sure, it's not a huge jump from one *nix to another, but standards on Linux are much more fragmented than they are anywhere else. Consider sound support. Linux usually has ALSA available, but no other unixes use that. OSS? It doesn't really have a mixer, so the game would have to hijack sound. JACK/aRts/ESD/whatever? Those all depend on another layer of software support which people might not be bothered to set up or have their own personal issues with.

I suppose the best way to approach such an issue would be to use one library to rule them all (such as SDL), but in the end any different libraries for media would likely require additional changes to a codebase they've probably already made extensive changes to in order to run the thing on Mac.

TL;DR version: Linux/BSD/whatever support would be nice, and probably workable, but I don't think they'll do it. Just consider the additional complexity of attempting to support a platform that requires the user to at least think they know what's going on. It wouldn't be pretty.
http://gameinformer.com/mag/portal2.aspx
HHmmm, looks like some good reading Smile
DShiznit wrote:
Good stuff, fascinating read about the origins of Portal and some information about the game's development.
The mag has even more coverage of Portal 2. Spoiler Alert: there's a sexy robot co-op mode.
Here's a Portal update:

It's free!
foamy3 wrote:
Here's a Portal update:

It's free!
Grabbed it last night! I'm looking forward to playing through the game once again, and maybe giving more of the advanced levels a try.
Grabbing it Very Happy
elfprince13 wrote:
Grabbing it Very Happy
Does it look weird to you, elf? I'm getting weird discolourations. I'm going to jump on my PC and see if I get similar results...

Yeah I dl'ed it last night, beat the main game in under 2hrs and now I'm stuck on bonus map 18 advanced.
comicIDIOT wrote:
elfprince13 wrote:
Grabbing it Very Happy
Does it look weird to you, elf? I'm getting weird discolourations. I'm going to jump on my PC and see if I get similar results...

still haven't played it yet, actually. I've been copy-boying
I nabbed it, but I still don't have the SDK in my tools tab like Portal's page said I would... I do however now have all the privileges of a steam account with a game on it...

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 2 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours