Yesterday morning (European time), on #ti, several of us discussed about the possibility of opening new ticalc.org subdomains, for pointing to external, significant projects (and possibly storing some data).
There are multiple goals, starting with increasing the visibility of some significant projects even more, and reinforcing the role of ticalc.org as a link between programmers, users and projects Smile

To summarize and provide a starting point for a wider discussion, before the result of the discussion becomes reality (should it be decided to go ahead), I have created a more detailed topic on UTI, http://www.unitedti.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=9477 .
To reduce the necessity to cross-post across forums, it would be best to post only on UTI, but you can post here too.
Hi Lionel! You indeed mentioned this briefly last night; thanks for posting about it here this morning. Probably needless to say, I have some hesitations on this. Back in the day, I would have been more than overjoyed about the possibility of a ticalc.org subdomain, which would have provided the cachet of the elite of the the calculator coding world. However, over the years I've seen countless people suggest things like ticalc.org discussion boards and user project pages, which ticalc.org (in what is probably a good move to avoid crushing the community sites like Cemetech and Omnimaga and UTI) never did so. My primary concern would of course be decentralizing my project(s) from Cemetech and/or losing traffic to the site. With Doors CS, for example, I have the DCS wiki, the subforum here, and the Projects page for it. Lemme address your points from UTI:

1) It would definitely help with visibility (it being, for example, dcs.ticalc.org)
2) Glad to hear it. Smile
3) I would absolutely be interested in the possibility of a redirect, but because of the amount of time and effort I've taken to build Cemetech, line by line of PHP and pixel by pixel of PNG, I'd be hesitant to build a supplementary presence on ticalc.org and even much more hesitant to replace my presence here with one on ticalc.org
4) In light of (3), static HTML pages and an FTP account would be more that sufficient
5) I would certainly like a place to back up versions...
6) Of course they are!

Do other people have thoughts on this? Would there be a value to having, eg, dcs.ticalc.org or calcnet.ticalc.org or axe.ticalc.org over simply directing people to cemetech.net or dcs.cemetech.net or omnimaga.org ?
Understandably, DJ and you both have the exact same concern about losing traffic to Omnimaga / Cemetech Smile

Say you get a dcs.ticalc.org site. If you choose to fill it with a single placeholder HTML page with a small blurb of text, and links to e.g. the Cemetech root page, the DCS wiki, the subforum, a download link towards Cemetech, etc. - I can't envision Cemetech losing much traffic that way.
Same thing for Axe, by s/Cemetech/Omnimaga/g.
Lionel Debroux wrote:
Understandably, DJ and you both have the exact same concern about losing traffic to Omnimaga / Cemetech Smile

Say you get a dcs.ticalc.org site. If you choose to fill it with a single placeholder HTML page with a small blurb of text, and links to e.g. the Cemetech root page, the DCS wiki, the subforum, a download link towards Cemetech, etc. - I can't envision Cemetech losing much traffic that way.
Same thing for Axe, by s/Cemetech/Omnimaga/g.
Definitely, I can't see much traffic loss there either, especially if that page would be getting extra traffic from being linked somewhere within ticalc.org, the way the Hosted Sites are. (Don't forget screenshots would also be on that page, btw! Smile ).
This is silly. Are you seriously that concerned about losing traffic? Stats aren't everything, folks.
allynfolksjr wrote:
This is silly. Are you seriously that concerned about losing traffic? Stats aren't everything, folks.
Of course it is! Shock Why else would we ever visit our ticalc.org profiles? Laughing

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours