Ashbad wrote:
extreme accuracy needed, no? Wink

Good luck, Kerm, this is looking very amazing so far -- like normal I'm sure you'll surprise us with it's high quality once it's finished Very Happy
Not really extreme accuracy, you'd be surprised how much gets lost when you have 14 bits before the decimal point, 18 bits after, and you do a 32/32 division. Anyway, the GCC toolchain is working (although not quite for me). Expect updates on this project soon, although up until next Wednesday I guarantee nothing, as I'm entering the final week of my semester.
*bump* Progress at last!

1) Proper projectile motion, although slow, even with a 4x speedup. I'll probably go to an 8x speedup
2) Proper collisions and explosions
3) Proper terrain decay from explosions

Coming soon:

1) A cooler projectile, hopefully fiery.
2) Tank health
3) Power setting
4) Computer tank AIs
*lame early bump*

1) Tank health and health bars added!
2) Damage from projectile explosions affects nearby tanks, following the same algorithm as the z80 original Obliterate v1.0.
3) Proper hiding of dead tanks!
4) Proper skipping of dead tanks' turns!
5) Proper recognition of when only one tank is still alive!

Epic progress; I love writing C instead of z80. Smile What's next?

1) Power settings and display of power/angle GUI
2) AIs for the calc-controlled tanks!
3) Game Over / You Win display
4) Colorful skies
5) Better projectile
6) Proper full collision detection
You need a Haha you lost screen, and maybe something about winning, but that is less important. An AI is needed as well, everything else seems like overkill.

Hell you could just make the AI win every time.
Power/angle GUI is overkill? Shock But how can you tell what your current shot power is otherwise? I just mean a number and/or a filled bar, nothing fancier. And I was thinking of Scorch2000-style skies.
Does aiming matter of the AI wins every time Razz I mean its not very intelligent if it can't win so why not go all the way?
Please do better with AI than the game 'Tanks' on various flash-game websites -- on the highest levels it shoots perfect aim at you, but only ever fires the weakest weapon, while you can easily knock them out with Atom bombs Razz
TheStorm wrote:
Does aiming matter of the AI wins every time Razz I mean its not very intelligent if it can't win so why not go all the way?
It wouldn't be a very fun game if the AI won every time, would it? Shock In the z80 Obliterate the AI doesn't always win, due to a combination of the math shortcuts I took to make my code shorter and the settable difficulty level. Ashbad, have you tried my z80 Obliterate game? If so, any comments on the AI difficulty?
*bump* I've been making tons of progress on this. Fun colorful backgrounds, just like Scorch2000, which work properly with turret moving and erasing and everything. Proper damaging of tanks, game over screens, and all that fun gameplay stuff. A working aiming interface with shot power and angle and wind speed indication. A rudimentary AI. There are still a few small glitches, mostly with the AI, plus I'm not totally happy with how the bullet gets XORed. However, this is progressing smoothly, and I look forward to releasing a beta, possibly even by this evening.

Wow, that looks great!
souvik1997 wrote:
Wow, that looks great!
Thanks, Souvik. Smile The gradients in the sky look a lot better on a real calculator, for what it's worth. Smile
[quote="KermMartian"]
TheStorm wrote:
Ashbad, have you tried my z80 Obliterate game? If so, any comments on the AI difficulty?

Kerm, That set of screenies look awesome Smile also, I have tried the z80 version, in which the AI was quite decent, but since I'm good at these types of games I wish the hardest difficulty would make the tanks aim perfectly at you , in which they don't always do. How similar to the z80 version's AI is this?
Wow, very pretty tanks!
Thanks, Thomas! I tried to come up with something that looks nice and detailed, good against light and dark backgrounds, and isn't too distracting. Ashbad: it's an identical clone of the z80 one at this point, which is to say that it doesn't compensate for wind, even on the very hardest setting. I can much more easily try to make it perfect on the Prizm than on the z80 calculators, of course.
White Balance. Learn to use it.
DShiznit wrote:
White Balance. Learn to use it.
Very glossy LCD cover + relatively dim LCD = hard-to-photograph screen. Once Tari and Jonimus get a chance to figure out why the emulator is being annoying, we'll have excellent screenshots.
Interesting Kerm. Though keep in mind I wasn't saying the z80 version was crap -- I thought it was actually quite excellent ^-^ good luck, Kerm, can't wait to see more!
Ashbad wrote:
Interesting Kerm. Though keep in mind I wasn't saying the z80 version was crap -- I thought it was actually quite excellent ^-^ good luck, Kerm, can't wait to see more!
Thanks, I'm hoping to finish a beta tonight if I can figure out the AI issues. Thanks also for the clarification, although no offense was taken.
I can't wait for a release Very Happy if you get it done soon, I can quickly load it on my prizm by 10:00Pm and give a full test analysis tomorrow morning Wink
Ashbad wrote:
I can't wait for a release Very Happy if you get it done soon, I can quickly load it on my prizm by 10:00Pm and give a full test analysis tomorrow morning Wink
There's a demo release with the glitchy AI that I gave to Ashbad at http://cemete.ch/files/oblitr8.g3a . You guys are welcome to give it a try if you want and report non-AI-related glitches to me.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 3 of 4
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours