Lift is a port/clone of the Taito game Elevator Action Returns.
Original

Being a fan of the game myself, I originally wanted to make this game a long time ago, but never did anything about it. Fast forward to the Prizm, I wanted to make a game that used the color screen nicely.

Original

Progress on the game is hindered by a lack of sprites for characters. I do have a wacom tablet still available to do spriting which is great. All artwork follows the same style of the original game, however was drawn manually. I will post screenies of the maps and such as those are good to go for now. In-game isn't anything special yet while the particle system is being developed.

The entire addin is written in C++ and has been a base for uClibc++/STL testing, as well as gcc testing. I also have more prizm research put into the code, most just unused since they are just small tests.

Oh wow, very ambitious! No wonder you were asking me about core gameplay vs. levels and content. Good luck getting those sprites worked out.
KermMartian wrote:
Oh wow, very ambitious! No wonder you were asking me about core gameplay vs. levels and content. Good luck getting those sprites worked out.

Building sprites are working just fine, character sprites require a lot of animation.

Yup, gotta love large maps.

Currently being worked on:
  • Screenshotting
  • Particles
Screenie, plus animation, taken on-calc!!!

Red number is the number of particles currently being displayed.

also, animations will be choppy due to the RTC being nuked when saving images.
That looks awesome, AHelper; nice job! I also understand that it was very challenging for you to take that screenshot, storing each frame to Flash as an image and then joining them offline.
KermMartian wrote:
That looks awesome, AHelper; nice job! I also understand that it was very challenging for you to take that screenshot, storing each frame to Flash as an image and then joining them offline.
Yup, it took up 6MB of space to store and took for ever to save (38 frame @162KB each).

<edit>

Working on drawing the rest of the sprites and will hopefully get in more movements. Also means the size of the addin will sadly increase due to uncompressed RGB565 data. Also, I know that there was exploration into this by me and others outside of this addin, but: What is the state of executing outside of flash? Currently, the calc just resets. Is this from the WDT? Does the SH7724 have some other way to limit what can be executable?

<edit>

Crouch sprites done (2 for the transition animation, 1 for the crouch state). Next will be applying color patches and then 2-4 sprites for rotation and 2 for firing. Then will be various jumping sprites. Then will be figuring out a pattern for converting all sprites to the basic hostile sprites. Then will be reactions. Then will be custom enemies. ... Sheesh.
I love it! This game reminds me of Flashback and Out of this World.

Great work AHelper!

Ranman really needs to get a Prizm!
Ranman wrote:
I love it! This game reminds me of Flashback and Out of this World.

Great work AHelper!

Ranman really needs to get a Prizm!
Thanks! It sure is fun to see things work in the end.
All crouch animation is being worked on and will be done today. I had a brief scare as my laptop died while spriting. All in all, GafX2 has a backup feature and I lost 0 progress Very Happy It will still be very close in the end as getting the AI and level stuffs may be very rushed after the required sprites are made.
Crouching is nearly finished in spriting. I will have the actions added later today.
I too like Elevator Action a lot, and I must say I'm impressed and very happy with the current progress. This will definitely be an awesome Prizm game Smile
Elevator Action was one of my favorite GB game.
Your adaptation looks really great Wink It'll probably become one of the best Prizm Game
Work on crouching is done and am now hammering the hell out of the thugs in a last-ditch effort to get this project far enough to submit.
AHelper wrote:
Work on crouching is done and am now hammering the hell out of the thugs in a last-ditch effort to get this project far enough to submit.
Keep up the good work! It looks like quite a contender for the calculator category, so I hope you press ahead with just under five days of coding left to you.
KermMartian wrote:
AHelper wrote:
Keep up the good work! It looks like quite a contender for the calculator category, so I hope you press ahead with just under five days of coding left to you.
I sure will try to!

<edit>

I am making all of my sprites smaller than they really are and then scaling up at the end in order to save time Very Happy Touch-ups are being done, but right now, I have the legs for 9 sprites done. I need 4 more in order to get the needed sprites to start on the AI.
I have the first fully drawn thug image! I will now take the upper part that I have experimented and draw it on all of my existing legs and I will have a functional sprite set.

For the contest deadline, many things will be missing, such as jumping, all hit animations, a proper title screen, parallax city-scape (tied with the title screen), and other thug designs (right now, I am just changing the color palette for the 3 thug levels). It will be close, so this will get very interesting.
This is very cool indeed. Looks very great. Smile

KermMartian wrote:

I wonder if someone should port GrayScreenshotLib to the PRIZM? Of course an emulator would be much better, but GrayScreenshotLib would be an alternate solution for screenshotting. http://www.planet-casio.com/Fr/forums/topic9773-1-[SDK]-GrayScreenshotLib---Generer-un-gif-anime-en-grayscale.html
The problem is that the flash is too slow to save anything and still be real-time.
Yeah GrayScreenshotLib makes games run slower when inserted in your game code. People have to use video editors if they want their GIFs or videos to play at the real speed.
Working on spawning right now. I added in the animations and stuff should be working for turning and walking. Still waiting to find out Razz

<edit>

Oh dear god, I have enemies that spawn, open the door, walk out, and close the door.

<edit>

I will be adding in the bullet collision in for killing enemies later on.

<edit>

Entering doors is being worked on. I don't have the objective system added yet, so that will be done later on. AI first.

<edit>

Here is a checklist of things that must be done in the next 23 hours:
  • Add in thug firing sprites
  • Let the AI shoot the player if in LOS
  • Make bullets hit opposing sides (no FF)
  • Add in hitpoints to characters
  • Make the enemies die somehow, this will probably need more animation work (last on the list)
  • Let enemies spawn
  • Let the player capture targets
  • Add in a title screen
  • Add in events to let the player progress in the map
  • Add in the end-level sequence
  • Finish making the map

This will let you play the first level of the game. The engine will most likely be done, just lacking sprites.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours