This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Your Projects subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. NimbusOS => Your Projects
United-TI Archives -> NimbusOS

» Goto page Previous  1, 2
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
alexrudd
pm me if you read this

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 09 Dec 2005 10:35:01 pm    Post subject:

...if you disable archive writeback in the options menu. I think it's enabled by default.
DarkerLine
ceci n'est pas une |

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 10 Dec 2005 12:58:07 pm    Post subject:

Does it still writeback when there's no reason to (nothing was modified)?
CompWiz

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 10 Dec 2005 03:19:08 pm    Post subject:

Let me clarify that. You can play archived programs with mirage. However, when you do, I believe it unarchives them when you play them, and rearchives them when you quit. However, this causes garbage collects, and can wear out your archive. CrunchyOS runs archived programs directly from the archive, without unarchiving them. Your archive memory will last much longer, and you will hardly ever have to garbage collect. Smile
Spyderbyte

Advanced Member

Posted: 10 Dec 2005 03:22:17 pm    Post subject:

DarkerLine wrote:
Does it still writeback when there's no reason to (nothing was modified)?
[post="63991"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Yep, which is one advantage Nimbus has. It'll compare the two and only writeback if something changed.

Spyderbyte
kermmartian
Site Admin Kemetech

Calc Guru

Posted: 10 Dec 2005 06:59:50 pm    Post subject:

Yup, I'm working on making DCS6 do that as well after I checked out what mirageos was doing...hint: try putting Input X in a basic prog, running it from MOS, and pressing 2nd-quit at the input.
Oh, and I didn't mean to offend about the private beta, I just want to try this cause it looks really really cool. Smile
elfprince13
Retired

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 10 Dec 2005 09:09:05 pm    Post subject:

There's no reason to have writeback if it unarchived it, because then the changes made in ram would stay when it got re-archived. Its somewhere in the MOS manual. MOS copies it out of Archive and only makes changes if writeback is enabled
David
The XORcist!

Advanced Member

Posted: 15 Aug 2006 01:22:45 pm    Post subject:

MeBeatYou wrote:
Is this project dead? I've been waiting for the final release because when I tried to download the beta from an e-mail link, it told me i had no access  Mad

So, Is this finished and I just missed it, or still in progress, or discontinued? Also, i was wondering what EXACTLY the final will include if there is one.

I was thinking something along the lines of:
Hide\Unhide Progs from exec menu
Protect\Unprotect Progs from edit menu
Password functions (I personally like the password for the MEM button on Krolypto)
The grayscale lib is a nice add-on  :biggrin:

No idea what else, I had a lot in mind when I started this post, but I forgot half way through  :ninja:
[post="63494"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

To clear any doubts, I can tell you that the project has been halted, due to unforeseen personal circumstances. The fact that my harddrive burned up (yes, literally) hasn't made things easier either Mad
Sorry to disasppoint those who anticipated Nimbus, but it's unlikely that I will do any coding in the near future.
NETWizz
Byte by bit

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 15 Aug 2006 10:07:36 pm    Post subject:

NO backups eh?

What about replacing the circuit board on the hard drive with one from an identical drive.
CompWiz

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 16 Aug 2006 04:32:06 pm    Post subject:

That's too bad. It seems hard drives do fail, as seen recently on the Maxcoderz forum also.

Well, in light of the circumstances, maybe you should release the private beta, so other people can use it. From what I can remember, it ran pretty well.
DarkerLine
ceci n'est pas une |

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 16 Aug 2006 05:12:02 pm    Post subject:

It did, but due to the unfortunate circumstance that it can't run MirageOS programs it can't really be used by itself as an alternate shell.
elfprince13
Retired

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 16 Aug 2006 06:56:34 pm    Post subject:

weren't there other members of the Dev team who had copies of the code?
DarkerLine
ceci n'est pas une |

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 16 Aug 2006 07:31:52 pm    Post subject:

We could always disassemble it...
Madskillz

Posted: 16 Aug 2006 10:27:13 pm    Post subject:

NimbusOS is a great shell it had a few kinks, but those could be ironed out. I have the private beta, and it is still on my calc.

source is gone eh....
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    » Goto page Previous  1, 2
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 2 of 2 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement