This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Website subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. United-TI Top Management => Website
DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 15 Jun 2007 02:11:45 pm    Post subject:

I just deleted a spambot topic from Calculator Tech Support that seems to have gotten past our bot trap. http://www.unitedti.org/index.php?showtopic=6885&hl=

Is this the first bot to slip through the cracks since our bot trap was set up? Or have we just been able to keep up with them all along?
DarkerLine
ceci n'est pas une |

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 15 Jun 2007 02:30:49 pm    Post subject:

I'm fairly sure it's the first one. It's slipped through because it didn't post in the announcements forum like all the other ones did.

Let's see if it was a stray or the first of many more, and what we can do about it if it's the latter.

Last edited by Guest on 15 Jun 2007 02:32:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Weregoose
Authentic INTJ

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 02 Nov 2009 11:10:57 pm    Post subject:

I'm opening this back up.

Aside from the "aaaaaaaaaaaa" spambot (now gone), one other entity has been getting through the forum's filter: its messages have consisted of essay portions interspersed with links to RPG power-leveling sites, and these were all posted by either 58.17.146.142 or in the range 123.145.* (which encompasses the Chongqing province under China Unicom). I just now blocked these addresses from viewing the forums. This will likely do away with our existing source of spam.

Last edited by Guest on 02 Nov 2009 11:15:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Weregoose
Authentic INTJ

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 05 Mar 2010 12:26:48 pm    Post subject:

"!!over*!!" banned and four accounts deleted.
Xeda112358

Posted: 11 Dec 2011 06:27:36 pm    Post subject:

Okee dokey, there have been quite a few more spambots posting-- enough that there was one week where I deleted in the realm of 200 spam posts (sometimes 40 a day). I wanted to run my current technique for handling spambots/posts:

Most of the bots have the number 143040 recurring. For example, the Yahoo account, Likes, and Skype account are 143040.
When I see these I typically flag them as spammers even if they have yet to spam.
When a spam post is submitted and I come across it, I delete the post (not just remove like I used to do) and flag the account as a spam account.

Is this okay? Also, I may as well point out that I may or may not have internet until mid January after this week...

Bot Account
Weregoose
Authentic INTJ

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 25 Dec 2011 01:43:12 am    Post subject:

I just banned three spambots that made over a hundred posts on Dec 21st. I'll keep a better vigil over the report system for a while.
Xeda112358

Posted: 18 Mar 2012 07:02:10 pm    Post subject:

In the past week, one bot made 372 posts in the 13 hour period from when I went to sleep until I got done with my morning classes. Another one made over 150 posts in a similar time frame. I was also informed by another user that a spambot posted on their wall and and I had a spambot join me as one of my friends.
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    »
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 1 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement