For quite a while, I've been occasionally generating post activity graphs in Excel, using a CSV day,post values dumped from a custom script on Cemetech. For a few days I have been wanting to make a PHP script that would automatically generate such graphs for me, and after an evening of stealing code from my wonderful and sadly no-longer-active WorldTrends project, discontinued because it was sucking down massive amounts of Jatol's CPU time and memory space, I have a nice automatically-generated graph up and running. At 4am every morning, the cron job that performs backend Cemetech maintenance like archives statistics updates, SAX log cleanup and archiving, SourceCoder cache cleanup, and front-page stats updating will regenerate the following graph. Notice that it shows a graph of daily posts, including data points at the actual postcount for each day, plus a 30-day moving average (black thick line).

As you can see, within August 2010 we had our first two 300+ post days since early 2005, and the 30-day moving average is surging towards 150 posts per day. Please feel free to comment onand suggest improvements to this graph, I'd be happy to generate additional graphs like member growth over time, topic creation over time, and other similar data, and here's to a fall of heavy posting!

It's coming! Our Calculator wall at work is cleaned out! We do have some scientific calculators left, however!

Wow, there's a long period of inactivity around April 2007 it seems. I was here during that time but can't recall anything being _that_ slow.

Now, you just need to AJAX-ifiy it and add comments on some parts so we can see the data over a week, month, year or since the data is available and read certain points. Kinda of like the Stock charts on Google Wink
comicIDIOT wrote:
It's coming! Our Calculator wall at work is cleaned out! We do have some scientific calculators left, however!
Woohoo! I hope you told all the purchasers about Cemetech. Wink

comicIDIOT wrote:
Wow, there's a long period of inactivity around April 2007 it seems. I was here during that time but can't recall anything being _that_ slow.
If you're talking about the Jatol incident, that's just two or three months of lost posts, not an actual lack of activity.

comicIDIOT wrote:
Now, you just need to AJAX-ifiy it and add comments on some parts so we can see the data over a week, month, year or since the data is available and read certain points. Kinda of like the Stock charts on Google Wink
That's what WorldTrends was like, and the load from its calculations brought my server to its knees. I'd rather not jeopardize my hosting again. Laughing
*premature bump*

I added a new About | Site Statistics page that shows the statistics numbers on the front page as well as the daily posts graph. It's pretty rudimentary at the moment, and I definitely intend to expand it.

http://www.cemetech.net/about/stats.php
The lack of attention in this thread is dissapointing :'( Haha

It's looking pretty good. Add some padding to that image and you're set! Maybe some more words and explanations for the lower & higher parts of the graph.
KermMartian wrote:
comicIDIOT wrote:
Woohoo! I hope you told all the purchasers about Cemetech. Wink
No Sad I don't work in that section of the store all that often. And, when I do I haven't told anyone yet because they've all be with parents. Not that we're a bad influence (or programming) but parents don't like hearing about possible distractions. Rolling Eyes

Quote:
comicIDIOT wrote:
If you're talking about the Jatol incident, that's just two or three months of lost posts, not an actual lack of activity.
Whenever I hear Jatol I think of the Jato Rockets

Quote:
comicIDIOT wrote:
That's what WorldTrends was like, and the load from its calculations brought my server to its knees. I'd rather not jeopardize my hosting again. 0x5
Oh I see!
comicIDIOT wrote:
The lack of attention in this thread is dissapointing :'( Haha
Tell me about it. Sad It's a pretty nifty script in my opinion.

comicIDIOT wrote:
It's looking pretty good. Add some padding to that image and you're set! Maybe some more words and explanations for the lower & higher parts of the graph.
Yeah, that's a good idea, I'll probably put those on the new Cemetech | About | site Statistics page that I started today. I added some padding to the right side of the graph; you think it needs more?

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours