In order to know a language you have to be able to at least know what you're doing. You can't be looking at a reference guide for every line. Also being able to understand what the code is doing without having to follow (too many) comments.

I can write HTML & CSS pretty well and I can read HTML & CSS fluently. I can't recall what properties go to what element when in CSS: font-size or text-size, I actually still have to google those to figure out which one to use. And aside from the -moz-border-radius & webkit-border-radius I know CSS pretty well.

I know the languages I use proficiently enough to make a web site, without a form (I never learned forms, believe it or not).
According to Kllrnohj's definition, then, you don't know HTML, so I'll have to help you learn forms one of these days. Smile I'd generally consider you to know HTML and CSS from those definitions, and if you were to brush up on your TI-BASIC, I'd certainly say you once knew it and could know it again.
KermMartian wrote:
According to Kllrnohj's definition, then, you don't know HTML, so I'll have to help you learn forms one of these days. Smile I'd generally consider you to know HTML and CSS from those definitions, and if you were to brush up on your TI-BASIC, I'd certainly say you once knew it and could know it again.

HTML & CSS aren't programming languages, nub :p

But besides that, which of the 3 rules that I posted did he violate? Looks like he knows it according to my definition (assuming he knows what a form does, anyway)...

That said, if he doesn't know forms, he doesn't know HTML. They are definitely a crucial part.

elfprince13 wrote:
Don't be pedantic or silly. There is more to a language than the syntax. Knowing all the declensions and conjugations in the world won't help you in a conversation with the cute french girl at the bar during your semester abroad without a working vocabulary. The same holds true for computer languages and coding efficiency/job-worthiness.

Crazily enough, the spec has more than just the syntax as well. Shocking, right?
I carefully avoided saying "programming" anywhere in my post. Razz I think the same general standards apply to scripting and markup languages.
Kllrnohj wrote:
3) You understand what the language is and isn't good for. You are aware of it's limitations, even if you don't fully know them. For example, you understand that if someone suggests creating a GUI application in Java, that you should stab them in the eyeball. Likewise, if someone suggests writing performance critical code in Python or LUA, a swift kick in the nuts is the appropriate response.

While maybe not the most important point I feel this is what many CS and Computer/Software Engineering courses miss. Most projects can be done in a wide variety of programming languages but knowing which is best for the project at hand can make a world of difference.
Kllrnohj wrote:
That said, if he doesn't know forms, he doesn't know HTML. They are definitely a crucial part.
I know what forms do and how to set them up for a majority of the part, but when it comes to sending an e-mail (such as feedback), I completely loose it.
comicIDIOT wrote:
Kllrnohj wrote:
I know what forms do and how to set them up for a majority of the part, but when it comes to sending an e-mail (such as feedback), I completely loose it.
As in things like the different between GET and POST and what the action="" and method="" fields are for? Or as in how to receive and process the data serverside with a PHP script or clientside with some Javascript?

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 2 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours