true, I don't do that much on my lappy most of the time (and it is a PIII running XP). Too bad for losing the posts, but you have so many, not liked it mattered.
Boy, do I love my current hosting --
*Free
*Unlimited storage
*Unlimited bandwidth
*PHP5
*MySQL
*FTP Access
*No ads
*Fast
*1-on-1 tech support
*(Free) TLD

I don't think I could ask for much more, except maybe phpmyadmin access... Razz
yeah, can you park a domain there by any chance? you could probably install phpmyadmin on your own.
rivereye wrote:
yeah, can you park a domain there by any chance? you could probably install phpmyadmin on your own.
You can indeed, quite easily I'd imagine.
Well. This worked out well. Sad
errr, holy necropost? I guess?
qazz42 wrote:
errr, holy necropost? I guess?
Yeah, I ran across this page while looking for the thread to explain to MufinMcFluffin why we are missing about three months of posts from summer 2007, namely Jatol suddenly disappearing without a moments' notice in mid-2007. Sad
ah, ok, I was wondering why the seemingly random necropost was made by you
qazz42 wrote:
ah, ok, I was wondering why the seemingly random necropost was made by you
I was sarcastically remarking that far from failing to continue to give me a good ($30/year) price on hosting, Jatol in fact completely packed up their whole operation and disappeared.
hmm, I assume it is still a mystery why Jatol disappeared?
KermMartian wrote:
Well. This worked out well. Sad

"HOLY SH*T, EPIC NECROPOSTING" as UT would say. :p So this is officially worse then my triple post. XD
qazz42 wrote:
hmm, I assume it is still a mystery why Jatol disappeared?
Yeah, I don't think anyone has ever worked it out, at least not as of a few months after the whole consternation in 2007. Let me do a quick Google search...

So it looks like the Tim guy probably did indeed just steal everyone's money and disappear in the end:
http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=645193
What a great movie.
allynfolksjr wrote:
What a great movie.
Troll. Let's let this topic fade into oblivion again.
KermMartian wrote:
allynfolksjr wrote:
What a great movie.
Let's let this topic fade into oblivion again.
No.

But seriously, I saw this topic recently and I went to check hosting websites (and Google) to find some info about what happened with Jatol, and there were places saying that some servers were back up around early 2008 for a short period of time before they went down for good and I was shocked when I read stuff about how the owner of Jatol might have ran away with people money from the last few bill payments. Seeing that kind of stuff makes me trust new hosting providers (even huge companies) even less.

The other day on SMF website I asked hosting suggestions and the night after I received a PM from a 4-post member who offered me hosting. The site looked rather scammish.

About 1and1 I think the server my two sites are on is over-crowded with Asian/European websites because at 12-4 AM I got errors sometimes, yet a Slashdot effect during rush hour barely even affects the site performance. Also when my sites are down, OTBP and UnsyntaxSoft still works perfectly with no slowdowns. It is definitively not my sites because one of them has like 3-5 people online at once including guests and 3 posts a day.
pfff, lets just rename Tim to Bernie

that is just sad tho, I wonder what he is doing now..
DJ Omnimaga wrote:
KermMartian wrote:
allynfolksjr wrote:
What a great movie.
Let's let this topic fade into oblivion again.
No.

But seriously, I saw this topic recently and I went to check hosting websites (and Google) to find some info about what happened with Jatol, and there were places saying that some servers were back up around early 2008 for a short period of time before they went down for good and I was shocked when I read stuff about how the owner of Jatol might have ran away with people money from the last few bill payments. Seeing that kind of stuff makes me trust new hosting providers (even huge companies) even less.

The other day on SMF website I asked hosting suggestions and the night after I received a PM from a 4-post member who offered me hosting. The site looked rather scammish.
Yeah, I'd be very careful about any hosting site that doesn't have a long and solid reputation. The annoying that was that Jatol actually did have quite a decent reputation, which made it even more devastating when it disappeared in that tons of people attracted by the reputation got burned.

Quote:
About 1and1 I think the server my two sites are on is over-crowded with Asian/European websites because at 12-4 AM I got errors sometimes, yet a Slashdot effect during rush hour barely even affects the site performance. Also when my sites are down, OTBP and UnsyntaxSoft still works perfectly with no slowdowns. It is definitively not my sites because one of them has like 3-5 people online at once including guests and 3 posts a day.
Meh, that sucks to hear. Sad I hope that you're able to resolve all of the problems soon, either by discussing it with 1 and 1 or by switching hosts.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 2 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours