I've been having the hardest time trying to get this code to work. I tried to take the pseudo-code from wikipedia and turn it into C++ code I can use for a project. bufPixel() draws a pixel on (buffer,x,y with attributes). When it draws the line, it appears to only draw straight down each time, as in, no matter what line, it will always draw a slope of 1 or -1. Thanks in advance.

Code:
void bufLine(CHAR_INFO* buffer,short x0,short y0,short x1,short y1,WORD attributes)
{
        CHAR_INFO letter;
        letter.Char.AsciiChar = ' ';
        letter.Attributes = attributes;

bool steep = abs(y1 - y0) > abs(x1 - x0);
         SHORT a;
     if (steep)
         {
                a = x0; x0 = y0; y0 = a;
                a = x1; x1 = y1; y1 = a;
         }
     if (x0 > x1)
         {
                a = x0; x0 = x1; x1 = a;
                a = y0; y0 = y1; y1 = a;
         }

int deltax = x1 - x0;
        int deltay = abs(y1 - y0);
        float error = 0;
        float deltaerr = deltay / deltax;
        int ystep;
        if (y0 < y1)
                ystep = 1;
        else
                ystep = -1;

int y = y0;
        for (int x = x0;x < x1;x++)
        {
                if (steep)
                        bufPixel(buffer,y,x,attributes);
                else
                        bufPixel(buffer,x,y,attributes);
                error = error + deltaerr;
                if (error >= 0.5)
                {
                        y += ystep;
                        error = error - 1;
                }
        }
}

Code:
float deltaerr = deltay / deltax;

An integer divided by an integer performs integer division, whereas here you need to use floating point division:

Code:
float deltaerr = (float)deltay / (float)deltax;

However, the appeal of Bresenham's line algorithm is that it works fine purely with integers. Read the Wikipedia article a little further and you'll find the standard implementation.
Ah, thank you. I saw the other implementation further down, but I wanted to get this version working first Very Happy Also, now I know that I have to do that to get it to divide correctly.
_player1537 wrote:
Ah, thank you. I saw the other implementation further down, but I wanted to get this version working first Very Happy Also, now I know that I have to do that to get it to divide correctly.
So did that fix everything for you, or is it still buggy?
It fixed it Very Happy
_player1537 wrote:
It fixed it Very Happy
Awesome! How fast is the code in lines or pixels per second? Have you tried benchmarking it?
Nope, no idea how to either :/
Draw a million lines, time how long it takes Smile
The non-optimised version won't draw lines correctly owing to limitations in the representation of floating-point numbers - the integer version does not have this problem.

As a test, you can write a program that adds 0.1 - a value that cannot be exactly represented by binary floating-point numbers - to a variable and display the results.

Code:
std::cout.precision(20);
for (float f = 0.f; f < 10.f; f += 0.1f) {
    std::cout << f << std::endl;
}

This is why you should never store currency in floating point variables. (Fixed-point representations are generally used, such as storing the hundredths of the main currency as an integer - storing cents instead of dollars, for example, and there's usually a decimal type specifically for this type of usage).

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours