Don't want to give much away about the movie, because it only came out Friday, but you have to see it. I loved it. The Voyage of the Dawn Treader!! Like the other movies in this series, lots of fun, not a disappointment. Lots of action and stuff. Great movie to take your big-squeeze to see. (New word this old guy at my church used with Annabelle, this girl in my youth group. Means girlfriend. (P.S., she's not my big-squeeze 0x5 Very Happy)). I'll repost when its been out for a while longer with what its about and stuff!
I might go see it thursday if I'm not too tired, since it's the $5 movie night over here ($8 for 3D)
Yup, I'm familiar with the term "squeeze" to refer to a romantic interest. Smile Anyway, I was able to see the first movie at some point, but I haven't seen subsequent ones. However, in my youth I read the entire series at least once or twice, possibly more, so I'll hopefully get a chance to see it at some point.
If you haven't seen the new Prince Caspian, don't necessarily bother, because it was pretty bad -- even Walden Media has admitted this. Voyage of the Dawn Treader gets a little closer to the quality of the first one, and does a much better job maintaining the spirit of the books than Caspian was, but is still pretty shaky on the details. For some reason they felt it needed to be turned into a stereotypical good vs unspeakable-evil-force type thing instead of just letting the original plot carry it's own weight. I took Courtney to see it, and since then we've been watching the old BBC productions of Narnia as well to fill her in on what actually happens until she gets a chance to read them.
I thought it was cool. Not really EXACTLY like the book. Loads better than the Caspian movie indeed. I actually like this one a little better than the first one. Maybe because I liked the Dawn Treader story better. The effects were good, and it is a classical story. It was definately worth the 6.50. (Lucky Omnimaga! I gotta pay more!)
elfprince13 wrote:
If you haven't seen the new Prince Caspian, don't necessarily bother, because it was pretty bad -- even Walden Media has admitted this. Voyage of the Dawn Treader gets a little closer to the quality of the first one, and does a much better job maintaining the spirit of the books than Caspian was, but is still pretty shaky on the details. For some reason they felt it needed to be turned into a stereotypical good vs unspeakable-evil-force type thing instead of just letting the original plot carry it's own weight. I took Courtney to see it, and since then we've been watching the old BBC productions of Narnia as well to fill her in on what actually happens until she gets a chance to read them.
I have not, and thanks for the warning. I only saw the first movie of the newest remakes, and it sounds like I'm not missing out too much.
I'd say the new Dawn Treader is worth a watch, Caspian not so much.
Double post, but, my dad's review of Dawn Treader was featured on The High Calling
The views on this movie are lower than the other 2. The news said they might not make anymore. I say that nobody ever READ the book, or didn't like the story. I have to say, if I had to decide, that the Dawn Treader is the worst story of the Narnia series. That might have something to do with it. But on the otherhand, it might simply be people bored with Narnia movies already. Still worth a watch! I loved the MOVIE more than the others. It was more true to the book than Caspian was!
adept wrote:
The views on this movie are lower than the other 2. The news said they might not make anymore. I say that nobody ever READ the book, or didn't like the story. I have to say, if I had to decide, that the Dawn Treader is the worst story of the Narnia series. That might have something to do with it.

All the Narnia fans I know read & liked the Dawn Treader. Also, you must have missed the Silver Chair which was by far my least favorite.

adept wrote:
But on the otherhand, it might simply be people bored with Narnia movies already. Still worth a watch! I loved the MOVIE more than the others. It was more true to the book than Caspian was!

There was also zero advertising for it compared to the others. Usually I get reminded that a movie is coming out by seeing previews on the tv or in theater, but in this case I had to go out and look for the trailers to figure out when it was coming.
I REALLY hate boats. The story didn't ever appeal to me. The movie made the story better than I thought it was in the book. It is true also, that there wasn't McDonalds toys, and incessant Disney channel "Moviesurfers" or dumb ads like that, but I would think that people would WANT to see the movie. I went and saw it. But that probably was a contributing factor. I for one pray they finish what they started and go on with the other 4 books, and the magicians nephew. (Excuse me if i didn't count that up right.)
adept wrote:
I say that nobody ever READ the book, or didn't like the story.
What? Nobody read the book? Shock I certainly read all the books at least once, if not twice, when I was a young Kerm.
Kerm. Razz Whoa! I said that. Christmas Eve! 0x5 No. I meant to say that most people didn't ever read this book. Lots of people read only the Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe. People might not like this story, but they remembered reading the Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe and wanted to watch that one, because they thought it was a good book. I really hope they finish it out though. The other books, especially the Silver Chair and the (insert the name of the one w/ "battle" in the name here. (The Seventh Battle??)) have lots of action. The Hollywood people can really do something with that. They can't really do the non-action scenes justice. Ah. I hope I didn't say anything THAT dumb again Kerm. I'm getting so tired. In the boonies out here, we're in a one room house, without enough beds. And my sister really pushes me up against the wall in my sleep. I just can't get enough sleep. Plus its the holidays... blah blah blah... Just gimme some mercy Kerm. Smile
Haha, take all the mercy you need. Smile I've spent plenty of college years sleeping in situations where subpar is luxurious miles better than what I had to deal with. I see what you're saying now, that most people who read any of the seven-book series would have just read The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe.
You know, I have to say my favorite Narnia book was the Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe. Their first adventure in Narnia... A classic tale. They really were the most lovable characters too. The Horse and His Boy, that character never quite appealed to me like Lucy, Susan, Edmund, and Peter did! Very Happy

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours