I am deeply sorry for just shy of three hours of downtime that we sustained today from 11:10am EST through 2:08pm EST. Cemetech's webhost, Surpass Hosting, was doing a routine upgrade of their UPS capabilities, and something seems to have gone horribly wrong. I was keeping on top of the situation on their Twitter and Facebook pages; it seems almost everything they host was down, including their own website, but they have not yet announced the cause. I will be sure to update everyone once I learn more about the problem. I will be checking all of the normal Cemetech services to make sure that everything is intact. I especially apologize to anyone who was trying to use Cemetech tools like SourceCoder and was unable to do so. For what it's worth, over the last three and a half years, Surpass has been a very professional and dependable webhost for Cemetech, and I look forward to sharing with you all their plans to avoid this kind of downtime in the future.

In happier news, Win32 and Win64 gcnclients have been tested by several Cemetech members and are working well; a Linux client has also been tested on Ubuntu, and short of a few random dropped frames, seems to be operating very well. Shaun "Merthsoft" McFall and I are swiftly bringing CALCnet Chat to its completed form, so that will soon be ready for release.
I was surprised at this downtime considering Cemetech is never down for more than one minute when I visit it and the only slow down I get is when I post the first time after logging in, then it's relatively smooth.

I hope that Surpasshosting continues to offer stable service and that such downtime will not be a escalating recurrent event in the future. I still think they're better than 1and1.

I'm also curious as to why they decided to perform such maintenance in the middle of the day instead of at night. :/

Anyway I'm glad nothing wrong happened to the site. I was a little scared when I read that it was down for a while. I hope you continue doing backups regularly, in case. (I generally backup my databases every 2-3 week and my files at least once per month)
I wasn't here during the downtime, arrived right after, but I'm happy to know it's over Smile
Cheap hosting = low quality. What did you expect?
DJ Omnimaga wrote:
I was surprised at this downtime considering Cemetech is never down for more than one minute when I visit it and the only slow down I get is when I post the first time after logging in, then it's relatively smooth.

I hope that Surpasshosting continues to offer stable service and that such downtime will not be a escalating recurrent event in the future. I still think they're better than 1and1.
I'm strongly of that opinion too. I hope that customer-wise this downtime doesn't affect them too horribly, but that they learn from their mistakes here.

Quote:
I'm also curious as to why they decided to perform such maintenance in the middle of the day instead of at night. :/
Amen. Just because you think it's going to be a routine procedure pretty much guarantees that it won't, in my experience.

Quote:
Anyway I'm glad nothing wrong happened to the site. I was a little scared when I read that it was down for a while. I hope you continue doing backups regularly, in case. (I generally backup my databases every 2-3 week and my files at least once per month)
My files are more or less constantly synchronized, and I do database backups every week or two (or more often if I remember).
ah well, everyone makes mistakes Smile

good to know I was not here when the downtime happened (I WAS NOMING A BURITO!)
qazz42 wrote:

Argh, and you didn't think to share with us? Sad That would have gone a long way towards relieving the stress of everyone going HEY Kerm Kerm CEMETECH IS DOWN Kerm YO Kerm ITS DOWN LOL Kerm HEY Kerm while Surpass was simultaneously like ALMOST FIXED, HALF AN HOUR WE SWEAR, MINOR ISSUES LOL. :/
HEY Kerm
Kerm
THE SITE'S DOWN
WHY CAN'T I GET TO CEMETECH?!
KermMartian wrote:
qazz42 wrote:

Argh, and you didn't think to share with us? Sad That would have gone a long way towards relieving the stress of everyone going HEY Kerm Kerm CEMETECH IS DOWN Kerm YO Kerm ITS DOWN 0x5 Kerm HEY Kerm while Surpass was simultaneously like ALMOST FIXED, HALF AN HOUR WE SWEAR, MINOR ISSUES 0x5. :/

Aww, sorry to hear that. Sad
Thanks guys. Sad At least we were back after three hours; six hours later, I hear that some customers are still offline. I am waiting for the official explanation for the downtime so that I can share it with you guys. Smile
KermMartian wrote:
qazz42 wrote:

Argh, and you didn't think to share with us? Sad That would have gone a long way towards relieving the stress of everyone going HEY Kerm Kerm CEMETECH IS DOWN Kerm YO Kerm ITS DOWN 0x5 Kerm HEY Kerm while Surpass was simultaneously like ALMOST FIXED, HALF AN HOUR WE SWEAR, MINOR ISSUES 0x5. :/

Sorry, I dont have access to a computer during the downtime, and CAD was busywork..... and after school I was eating some sour patches whilst working on pse-rpg/C# calc

EDIT: and @ anyone who was screaming at Kerm, I THINK that the owner of his website will know when his site is down, just a thought Razz

EDIT 2, the return of EDIT: The burrito that I was nommin on was AWESOME and DELICHOUSNESS APPROVED

EDIT 3, the son of EDIT: I had iced tea with it too, making it even better.
I noticed this, and it surprised me given how reliable this site has been in the past, but I wasn't sure it wasn't something on my end so I just went back to my [questionable content].
oookkkk, back to the topic now.... hopefully this is just a freak thing and surpass hosting gives Kerm some free cemetech Razz
they could grease his palms with free SVN support...
Well, they posted an explanation. It sounds like the English-language translation is "SOMEONE TRIPPED A BREAKER".

http://www.surmunity.com/showthread.php/32352-Post-Maintenance-Outage-Report-Jan-10-2011
KermMartian wrote:
Well, they posted an explanation. It sounds like the English-language translation is "SOMEONE TRIPPED A BREAKER".

http://www.surmunity.com/showthread.php/32352-Post-Maintenance-Outage-Report-Jan-10-2011

Heh, nice, good that I figured that out by my self, but is 3 paragraphs really needed? Razz
I'm a little unhappy at all the stretched truths and outright lies in that:

Quote:
Today our data center experienced a power service interruption that may have affected several of you.
You mean how ALL your servers lost power for hours?

Quote:
Power loss to affected servers began to get restored within the hour of the outage. Our emergency standby team quickly responded and attended to troubled servers. Most servers automatically rebooted and came online once power was restored.
The EARLIEST servers came back 178 minutes (three hours) later, and I heard some servers were still unresponsive SIX hours later.

Quote:
All work involving our main electric infrastructure is officially completed and expect 100% uptime for countless years to come.
This incident should teach you that what you expect and the worst-case scenario that happens are very different things.

Quote:
Upon your request we will gladly proceed with extending appropriately due credits.
Hopefully I remember to pursue this.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours