There have been 2 recent apps that I have decided to begin work on.

The first was(and will be) a program that runs side-by-side the MMORPG called Shaiya. The program will be a shared database allowing all users to add information about the game to assist other users playing the game. Information will include Maps of each of the regions with mob levels posted on them. There are a few listed out there, but this will simply make it more accurate and easy to search through. Next will be mob/drop combos. Details about each creature including estimated health, level (minimum gain to maximum gain), and their known loot/location. The next will be a detailed list of known items found in the game, their known basic stats, and their known bonus stats (items in the game usually have 1-4 basic stat differences, and "orange" stats that add on that) along with an auction price listing to estimate its overall value. The next, if you haven't guessed, will be an Auction house. Not directly linked to the game, but just a database of recently seen items on the auction house and their prices. Finally, a list of character builds (stats you should add in which mode of difficulty, as well as skills you should get specific to the method you want to play) which would cut down the questions anyone has about how to make a new character. This will be run by my own sql server and be editable by anyone running the program. Think of Wikipedia, but a smaller program and better organized?

App #2 is currently in progress, and making good way. The projects are linked since they will use the same server and use the same connect methods.

This app is going to be an Online Role-play forum housed in a Visual Basic interface. At this point, I've made the login form (which logs in using data on the SQL server). I wish to make a registry method here, but not sure if i should force it to have email confirmation (as i dont know how to do that just yet). The next window is a Forum list. A listbox detailing all the role-play topics currently stored, as well as who was the last person to update it, and how long ago it was (days, or hours, or minutes). Double-clicking opens a new window which checks another database for all the posts in the clicked topic, then runs a timer once per second to update the entire list. I will eventually need to convert this program to only update when something new was added. I'm trying to decide if i should make a socket server on my server to update each running user when something in a topic changes, cutting down on the network usage. This doesn't really have much more purpose than allowing my GF to chat with her friends without relation to time (nobody has to be on at the same time to role-play, and you never forget what the role play has been up to the point). The other objective was to get the system essentials down for the first app to get up and running.

There are a few questions and minor bits of assistance needed when programming this in terms of efficiency, so I decided to make this post here to get a few of the greater minds working with it. If you dont know how to run SQL, the only thing you need to understand, is that you make a request to the server like "SELECT [data columns] FROM [table] WHERE [column]=[value];" returns a dataset (think of an excel sheet) in which you can pull data in a loop, dump it in certain form object, or pull specific data. "INSERT INTO [table] (columns,...)(values,...)" simply adds a new row (item) into the said table. Doesn't return anything, failure results in a runtime error.

First up, Login. The login queries the login server, and returns (on success) the users nickname, and then stores it as the form name for easy query vie child forms. I need to make a Registry form, but I dont know if I really need the extra details such as birthday, last posted, and etc, as i dont know if it's going to be public enough for anyone to request that info. If not, a simple IP could limit the number of accounts. That or email verification can also limit it. There are always ways around both methods, the idea is to limit the availability, not kill em.

Next up, Forum Topics. Right now, its just a listbox, an Update button, and a Create button. The listbox works fine, Update works fine, but the Create button is still a work in progress. I was hoping to have a better interface than a listbox, since it only displays 1 string per line, but this works semi-efficiently for now. The create button im deciding on pulling the message window up with a title querried by a msgbox(), then actually created when the first message was made.

Last window is the message window. This contains 2 textbox's, one for history, one for input, a button to send it, and a timer to update it. Both textboxes are multi-line so you can see your messages and format them a little better for role-play story mode... This is already made and working 100%, but somewhat inefficient. The coding copies the window to a new Dim rMessage as new system.windows.form but this still only opens 1 window at a time. I'm trying to open several at a time to make this a little more like an instant messenger, but its having some difficulties to say the least.
oooh, VB.net mmorpg?

:O I never know that VB or VB.Net could be used for such purposes D:
rofl, technically yes, it could. But not the kind your thinking about. But no, the project is a tool to help you when playing the mmorpg. A database of anything and everything, shared and updated by anyone using the program.
I think we can all agree when we say: VB.net and SQL? ewwwwwwwwwwww
tisk tisk ally, for the necessary functionality, there isn't anything better than VB.net and SQL combined for a simple online forum database. I could probably work 4x as hard to come up with the same exact thing in c++, but to what end? why work 4 times harder for a program that wont use many resources to begin with?
Hmm, do you think that after you did this, you could make one just like it but for Vindictus instead? Razz
Komak57 wrote:
tisk tisk ally, for the necessary functionality, there isn't anything better than VB.net and SQL combined for a simple online forum database. I could probably work 4x as hard to come up with the same exact thing in c++, but to what end? why work 4 times harder for a program that wont use many resources to begin with?
We call him Nikky, and I agree with him. Even Python and flatfiles (or in-memory data structures) would be much faster and easier.
qazz42, yeah... making an identical one for other games shouldn't be all that difficult... just re-routing coordinate locations and rewriting how a few of them work. Keep in mind, automating anything except information is a bannable offense in most (if not all) mmorpg's.

What I intend to do for now, is just debug some ideas that will be used in my database. With some help from the guys on #Cemetech (irc.efnet.net), i managed to get a formula to decide how much exp you started with, how much you really have, and how much you need to level (really) ... The game uses an odd [Start+EXP] / [Start+NEED] variable, making you believe you're working harder than you actually are. I plan to use the pixel-checker to determine when you gain exp, how much is gained in what time frame, and how long it'll be at that same rate in order to level up. Such a function was easy to make in games like WoW that have a built-in addon interface, but games like Shaiya just dont care about convenience. Its all about hard work, time spent, and money donated.

Please note that i've moved the Shaiya half of this app to another forum page: http://www.cemetech.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5632
Step 1: Learn C#

VB.NET is for people who want to pretend they know how to program, nothing more.
lol, now now... VB is just an easy method for people to make some apps without really doing much work... VB can ultimately do whatever you wanted it to do, just a different way to get there. Too many functions are automated, i agree, but building the said app, i really dont need to work 50x harder for something a little cleaner running. Dirty is fine unless it proves to cause some problems down the road... only 2 people are guaranteed to run the Online RP app... then its up to my GF wether she likes it enough to send it to her friends...
Komak57 wrote:
VB can ultimately do whatever you wanted it to do, just a different way to get there.
Or put otherwise, the least-efficient possible way. Wink
Oh hush guys, don't discourage him, even if it is the least efficient possible way (Idk myself, never learning VB/VB.NET) if he prefers it, then he should do it `-`
Komak57 wrote:
0x5, now now... VB is just an easy method for people to make some apps without really doing much work... VB can ultimately do whatever you wanted it to do, just a different way to get there. Too many functions are automated, i agree, but building the said app, i really dont need to work 50x harder for something a little cleaner running. Dirty is fine unless it proves to cause some problems down the road... only 2 people are guaranteed to run the Online RP app... then its up to my GF wether she likes it enough to send it to her friends...

That would be true if VB.NET was 50x easier. But it isn't, far from it. C# has the same .NET API, so almost everything is just as easy in C#, except C# isn't saddled with VB's terrible syntax.

Also, if simplicity of development is your goal VB is still the totally wrong choice. Python is far superior at that.
qazz42 wrote:
Oh hush guys, don't discourage him, even if it is the least efficient possible way (Idk myself, never learning VB/VB.NET) if he prefers it, then he should do it `-`
We're not discouraging him from the project; I think it's a great idea. We're discouraging him from something that might seem easy and a great way to get something working quickly in the short run, but will come back to haunt him speed- and extensibility-wise in the long run.
KermMartian wrote:
qazz42 wrote:
We're not discouraging him from the project; I think it's a great idea. We're discouraging him from something that might seem easy and a great way to get something working quickly in the short run, but will come back to haunt him speed- and extensibility-wise in the long run.

VB.NET isn't any slower than C# .NET - they both compile to MSIL and run in the same VM compiled with the same JIT.

VB.NET is just for idiots who can't learn a real programming language like C#. There are exactly 0 legitimate reasons to use it.
wellllll.... if VB.NET is one of the only things he knows/ is comfortable with.... I dont see the problem...
It's just that i have more documentation and learning tools for VB and i've taken 2 official classes... C++ i have a few books, but i essentially had to teach myself from scratch (did this while learning VB and TI Basic). What i know is pretty fancy considering i've never been taught how to do it efficiently.

Point is, VB is a quick and simple way to easily type up the fundamentals to see if they will work... not to make them work 100%... The project currently listed here will actually STAY vb.net simply because there isn't really much to it. It ques my server when it needs data (list of tables for topics, list of messages in a table for replies) and sends data when needed (to create a new table topic, or to send a post reply)... I mean, using a forum would get the same thing done with even MORE resources... But the last time i tried to make a forum, i couldn't get it to connect properly, and i couldnt find any help other than "try this, try that, try anything but what your trying"... gets tedious.

With this, i have all the resources i need in case i end up doing it alone, and i have a community able to gimme another choice. This project doesn't use a lotta resources one way or another... and programming it in any other lanuage would merely be another learning curve of sorts. With this, the project is practically finished, and i can move on to trying the Shaiya database i wanted... which will most likely be in C++... so shush you >.> It really DOESN'T matter what language you decide to code your project in, as long as the means justifies the end. This case, it was a theory tester -> simple message board for my GF that she probably wont use anyways... Would it matter if it was 100% efficient if it probably wont be used in the first place ?!? =.=

now if you dont mind, benryves suggested i try BitBlt... I've only used that with PSP c++ coding (which all the 2d coding usues bitblit, so i'm aware of the code... but i dont know how to retrieve pixel data from it... i was kinda under the impression there might be a way to call it from the dataset i store the bit to, but again, no such luck finding it... please continue your posts in http://www.cemetech.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5632&start=20 as this project is deemed "complete"

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours