Finally, after having existed for five years and going through a variety of hosts and domains, Cemetech is now settled into a true top-level domain and reliable, bandwidth- and space-rich hosting. I am overjoyed that this important step has been made, and I think it warrants a review of Cemetech's major milestones.

Cemetech began its theoretical life as C-Tech (or CTech) in about 1998 as a company to create the inventions I came up with. I started out designing and inventing on my own until 2000, when friends offered some suggestions for cool gadgets they might want. That year, the newly-christened Cemetech (a combination of my initials, a friend's initials, and suggesting both "chemical" and "technical" - two types of engineering that are vital for inventing) found itself for the first time online. Homestead.com became its first host at http://cemetech.homestead.com. In fact, if you visit, you can still see the last remnants of the site. This was long before I knew HTML, and there was a poor design, simply archives, and no forum. However, it was my first website, and I was proud of it. I continued to maintain that periodically until 2001, when I first broke into the calculator programming scene. My first programs were published on ticalc.org around mid-March 2001, including GuessIt and other similar newbie fare. I didn't start to create a new website until late 2002, when I created my first Geocities account. This was a revelation for me, and I was impressed that I could finally create a more-than-three page website. I taught myself HTML concurrent with the freshman computer class at my high school in 2001, so I felt fairly well-prepared to make a superior website. The first geocities website, created at http://www.geocities.com/kerm_martian, was a typical techie black background, white text site. Interestingly, the hierarchy of pages was somewhat similar to the current one, although all the pages were top-level except for the archives, which were arranged almost exactly as the archives here I am currently phasing out are. I, along with most of the calculator community, also discovered the .tk free domain forwarding/masking, so the domain became shortened to http://www.cemetech.tk. The site got deleted accidentally in 2003, was briefly restored, then recreated in a similar form to the current one at http://www.geocities.com/kermmartian, though all in HTML and Javascript and with only a rudimentary message board from an off-site script host. July 2004 brought an InvisionFree forum that I gradually integrated into the rest of the website with user tools and the login box in the sidebar. I dealt with the awkwardness of having that until March 2005 when Patl offered to hook me up with free, adless hosting from designerz-core.com. For half a year since then Cemetech has been found at http://cemetech.designerz-core.com. On June 1, 2005, I bought cemetech.net and made it redirect to my cemtech.designerz-core.com site. I also began to integrate the new phpBB forum into the site and heavily modify it to support the entire site with a PHP template system. Finally in the early fall of 2005 I began to search for a low-cost but feature-rich paid host, keeping in mind that I would be willing to use one without 24x7 support in exchange for a lower price. I finally found JatolEconomy.com, offering 1.5GB of storage and 30GB of monthly bandwidth for a mere $30, and including all the features that I wanted such as PHP, unlimited emails, unlimited subdomains, etc.

So here we are at the dawning of a new era for Cemetech, and I'm happy to have you all on board for it. Welcome to the new Cemetech.
Thank you Dan. So know you all know what the outage was about yesterday evening. Jon with his eagle eyes noticed the new site before I reinstalled the redirct. Cool
Haha. Congrats, Kerm. It definitely looks better when you look up and see the URL is www.cemetech.net/stuff rather than cemetech.designerz-core.com/stuff. More professional, methinks.
I agree. And the fact that it's now truly gcn.cemetech.net looks much more 1337 Smile
It just redirects to cemetech.net... Confused
Only because I didn't set it up yet Smile
Rolling Eyes Oops.
Hmm, I actually did set it up, but it's not working...
give it time, it has to go through the DNS first
ahhh, ok, that's it then.
i don't like this jatol stuff. Even jatol's own site is slow as monkey balls

but it should pick up as the images get [re]cached
Indeed. I think they're getting a better connection soon though. Plus it's quite inexpensive.
mine's inexpensive, and is much faster
Yeah, but it's got nowhere near the specs of mine.
Oh, and I told Alex and you about that host. Smile
yeah, how I wonder, how many web masters here actually have a paid domain, parked or not
www.surpasshosting.com owns this jatol host like no other. (i have the OC5 plan: http://www.surpasshosting.com/ocplans.php )

$59/yr for 5gb space, 100gb transfer, and its a fast (cPanel rules)

only prob, it doesn't come with a domain name (but 1&1 will sell em for like $5, so thats no biggie)

as for gcn.cemetech.net <- subdomains aren't registered in the DNS nameserver server, and should work right away....
Ahh, ok, so it must be the redirect I have set up. Note that dtb.cemetech.net works fine.
I use webhosting.cx for hosting. They're great hosts and their servers are speedy (Quad Xeons and Backbone connection). michaelv.org, calcgames.org, nykida.net, impoll.net and imcommunity.net are all hosted there under various plans. I highly recommend them.
What's their cost like?
Um, $30/month. (Plan Three). 5GB Space/100GB Bandwidth. I used plan one before I merged with the main account.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 3
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours