As elfprince suggested here, I'm asking for help with making 128 more 16x16 sprites of various fruit being sliced in half for my Fruit Ninja project.

There are four types of fruit—watermelon, orange, pineapple, and strawberry. I need sprites of the two halves of each sliced in half, approximately 8x8 (the whole-fruit sprites are generally around 12x12). Each needs to be rotating in an arbitrary but consistent manner that differs from the rest, like the wholes in this post.

Thanks in advance if anyone would like to help!
needest thou also bombs and bananas?

[edit]

also, seems like it would more sense to calculate the chopped sprites dynamically along the cut line.
Have you been working on other parts of your Fruit Ninja game? Like a title menu, arcade mode, etc. Are you going to make it as real as it gets? That would be amazing.

Also, about the sprites, I am not experienced in making sprites, so I can't help you with that. I hope that you get the help that you need.
elfprince13 wrote:
also, seems like it would more sense to calculate the chopped sprites dynamically along the cut line.
Ideally, yes, but I'd imagine that would be prohibitively expensive for this. Although, hmm, if you made the cut fruit fall without rotating, which would make sense for something that had just been cut, you could avoid that pain. Either way, I hope I'll get a chance to offer assistance in this topic.
KermMartian wrote:
elfprince13 wrote:
Ideally, yes, but I'd imagine that would be prohibitively expensive for this. Although, hmm, if you made the cut fruit fall without rotating, which would make sense for something that had just been cut, you could avoid that pain. Either way, I hope I'll get a chance to offer assistance in this topic.
I guess that would actually make sense, since you're slicing a fruit in half along a straight line...

I could generate them dynamically from the current whole sprites, but the insides and stuff would still have to be drawn by hand, and I don't want it to keep rotating in the same way after a fruit is sliced, because that wouldn't really make sense.

I don't need more bomb sprites, but I'm not sure about bananas—I decided to have 4 types of fruit because that's easy to work with, but the strawberries look terrible in my opinion, so I may replace them with bananas, which are easier to sprite anyway. The problem is that the collision detection assumes that all fruits are circular with a radius of 6, so bananas would act a bit weird.
Deep Thought wrote:
The problem is that the collision detection assumes that all fruits are circular with a radius of 6, so bananas would act a bit weird.
Instead of a single banana it could be a bunch of banananananas.
Any more progress on this?
KermMartian wrote:
elfprince13 wrote:
You know, I noticed that's actually pretty close to what the original game did, and it doesn't look too bad when the fruit doesn't spin after being sliced. (It even adds a bit of helpful contrast between whole fruits and sliced fruits.) So I've decided not to make these new sprites rotate, which makes the job a lot easier and take a lot less space—I can probably finish this bit in a few days.
Deep Thought wrote:
I don't need more bomb sprites, but I'm not sure about bananas—I decided to have 4 types of fruit because that's easy to work with, but the strawberries look terrible in my opinion, so I may replace them with bananas, which are easier to sprite anyway. The problem is that the collision detection assumes that all fruits are circular with a radius of 6, so bananas would act a bit weird.

Wouldn't each fruit being a different size or shape and having a different collision and behave slightly differently add more variety and fun to the game?
I think the original game has different fruit slices for each fruit, and the same slice animations no matter what angle the fruit is sliced at. I think.....
I decided to just cut the current sprites in half horizontally. It doesn't look as good, but it saves a ton of time and also quite some data...

I'll post an update in the original thread when I get home today.
That sounds like a decent compromise, and should look not too bad, in my opinion. I look forward to some action screenshots to get a better idea of exactly how it will look.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours