When I first made C6M I was very keen on it being a way to browse Cemetech from a mobile device, specifically a mobile phone. But ever since I got a tablet and used C6M there, I've noticed there's some room for additional content. Hopefully there are some continuous users of C6M despite the theme a bit hard to enable/use since auto-detection was removed.

Should I modify C6M so it utilizes space on a larger screen more efficiently or do those of you who use C6M, prefer it on your phone other than your tablets, if applicable. Or, do you enjoy C6M on such a large screen? I believe there's one or two users who enjoyed C6M on their desktops, so this goes out to them as well.

If I were to make additions, what sort of changes should I incorporate so it uses the screen better and for more people to use it? More detailed profile info? A second column for quick information; whose online, PM's, logout, Popout SAX, etc?

Not all the changes would make there way into the full C6M, has what works on a tablet screen may not work on a phone sized screen.
For the most part, I'd say that C6M should stay exactly the same. I wouldn't object to having a C6M+ or similar that has some extra things, though I would most likely continue using the normal one. Others may object to this, but the reason I use it is because I _don't_ have to see SAX or the online users, avatars, signatures, etc.

As for things that could be added to the normal one to fix things or make the style consistent:
:: Make it more obvious that you have new PMs
:: Change the PM page so it matches up with the New Posts section
:: Fix the Pop-out SAX styling (Perhaps, you could also make a more C6M-esque SAX. I wouldn't mind helping, of course)
:: Making code blocks wrap around (Although, I don't think it's as big of an issue, now)
:: Remove the restriction for SourceCoder when uploading files
:: Add a permalink to each post
:: http://cemete.ch/about
:: In the PM menu, as well as post preview, remove signatures
:: Make the links on the New Posts page, as well as the forum pages, take you to the last page of that thread
:: Fix the color of Create A Topic when in a subforum
:: Maybe remove the New Topic link at the top of the number of pages in a subforum, since there is already Create A Topic

As for things that you could add to a C6M+:
:: Avatars
:: Signatures
:: Perhaps have a SAX on the edge? Or hidden at the top so you have to click it and it slides down for you to type things, and click again to go back up?

And, again, I'll help with any of this, since I pretty much just create extra work for you all the time >.>
_player1537 wrote:
As for things that could be added to the normal one to fix things or make the style consistent:
:: Make it more obvious that you have new PMs
:: Change the PM page so it matches up with the New Posts section

Definitely.

Quote:
:: Fix the Pop-out SAX styling (Perhaps, you could also make a more C6M-esque SAX. I wouldn't mind helping, of course)

Totally doable.

Quote:
:: Making code blocks wrap around (Although, I don't think it's as big of an issue, now)

Nor do I know how to fix that. Nothing I've implemented helps. It's been a while since I've looked at the source so perhaps going back with a fresh look may help.

Quote:

That's actually my laziness to skin SourceCoder for C6M. Razz I'll work on it I suppose. If I recall there's a few other pages I never skinned and I used the same message, "This page is not accessible from the mobile version of the site."

Quote:

I think I can use the timestamp in posts for permalinks, just make them a URL. Or, should they be a separate text? There's also a few other pages I need to style such as Moving a topic.

Quote:
:: Make the links on the New Posts page, as well as the forum pages, take you to the last page of that thread

Oh, can do!

The forum pages already take you to the last post, if you click last post. It mimics the desktop version of C6. It's so users can start at page one if the desire. On the new posts, there are page numbers to select. But, I'll admit it may be hard to press a page number on a phone. I'll see if there's a variable that will let me set the last post link, if I can, I'll make it the topic title on search results/new posts.

Quote:
:: Fix the color of Create A Topic when in a subforum
:: Maybe remove the New Topic link at the top of the number of pages in a subforum, since there is already Create A Topic

Duly noted. I never noticed that link there before, I might just remove it in favor of the link in with the page numbers.

Quote:
:: Perhaps have a SAX on the edge? Or hidden at the top so you have to click it and it slides down for you to type things, and click again to go back up?

Avatars are a possibility, signatures I'd like to avoid as there's no file size limit, and the goal for C6M was to be as undemanding on bandwidth as possible, save for member posts. But not a lot of people likely have a 3G Tablet/Laptop, so they'd be on WiFi to begin with; I'll keep signatures in mind but I'm still not in-favor of the idea.
comicIDIOT wrote:
Quote:

Nor do I know how to fix that. Nothing I've implemented helps. It's been a while since I've looked at the source so perhaps going back with a fresh look may help.

That's what I was hoping, since it's been so long, that you might be able to find another way Smile

Quote:
Quote:

That's actually my laziness to skin SourceCoder for C6M. Razz I'll work on it I suppose. If I recall there's a few other pages I never skinned and I used the same message, "This page is not accessible from the mobile version of the site."

The MobileTunes converter, for one. Also, the DocDe page is unskinned. Those are the ones I could find, but there may be others.

Quote:
Quote:

I think I can use the timestamp in posts for permalinks, just make them a URL. Or, should they be a separate text? There's also a few other pages I need to style such as Moving a topic.

Check how Kerm does it in the normal Cemetech6 theme, because that's specifically what I was wanting.

Quote:
Quote:

Oh, can do!

The forum pages already take you to the last post, if you click last post. It mimics the desktop version of C6. It's so users can start at page one if the desire. On the new posts, there are page numbers to select. But, I'll admit it may be hard to press a page number on a phone. I'll see if there's a variable that will let me set the last post link, if I can, I'll make it the topic title on search results/new posts.

Since you already have the page numbers, as well as their links, for when you put the "1, 2, 3" links on the New Posts page, why not just grab the last one, and use that as the normal link? Or do you not have control over that?

Quote:
Quote:

Avatars are a possibility, signatures I'd like to avoid as there's no file size limit, and the goal for C6M was to be as undemanding on bandwidth as possible, save for member posts. But not a lot of people likely have a 3G Tablet/Laptop, so they'd be on WiFi to begin with; I'll keep signatures in mind but I'm still not in-favor of the idea.

I'm not really a fan of signatures, nor avatars, but I know some people are. I also wasn't sure what you meant for the newer C6M, so I assumed it was to keep the style the same, while having more of what C6 offers. Is C6M+ just for utilizing more screen space, then?

And thanks for doing all of this! I appreciate it Smile
C6M+, I like that name, is going to use more screen space for more things. Instead of being a widened version of the theme on phones, I think it'd be neat if there was a bit more to see if screen space allowed: post counts, member titles, recent headlines, and perhaps parts of C6M that were not accessible - such as SourceCoder.

Regarding the last post link addition, I have control over that. I've took a few variables from C6 and modified a copy for C6M, it's no doubt that it's there.

I'm also hoping to get C6M to auto enable again. Now that we have the option to enable and disable in the footer, I feel like Cemetech can use User Agent Detection and assign a theme, which can then be overwritten by clicking the links. There's plenty of websites that detect a mobile browser, display the mobile site and offer users a link to the desktop version. I think it's rather silly we display the desktop version regardless of user agent and offer a link to the Mobile Version Razz
Who *doesn't* have a 3g+ laptop/tablet or desktop these days? Especially us nerds?
allynfolksjr wrote:
Who *doesn't* have a 3g+ laptop/tablet or desktop these days? Especially us nerds?

Haha, quite a few people. I'm in the minority of folks I know with a cellular enhanced tablet. But I got it after most services dropped their unlimited plan Sad
comicIDIOT wrote:
C6M+, I like that name, is going to use more screen space for more things. Instead of being a widened version of the theme on phones, I think it'd be neat if there was a bit more to see if screen space allowed: post counts, member titles, recent headlines, and perhaps parts of C6M that were not accessible - such as SourceCoder.
Yup, thought the name fit quite nicely Smile I think post counts would fit nicely, as well. Maybe you could have a sidebar with stuff like, perhaps, the content of the most recent post? Or news articles? SAX? PMs? And, of course, having SC would be a big plus (For both).

Quote:
Regarding the last post link addition, I have control over that. I've took a few variables from C6 and modified a copy for C6M, it's no doubt that it's there.

Great Smile Hopefully it should be easy to put in there.

Quote:
I'm also hoping to get C6M to auto enable again. Now that we have the option to enable and disable in the footer, I feel like Cemetech can use User Agent Detection and assign a theme, which can then be overwritten by clicking the links. There's plenty of websites that detect a mobile browser, display the mobile site and offer users a link to the desktop version. I think it's rather silly we display the desktop version regardless of user agent and offer a link to the Mobile Version Razz
What if we had a setting in everyone's profile to denote which site they want for "desktop" Cemetech and "mobile" cemetech? That way, for instance, someone could have C6 for their desktop computer, and Cemetech6Retro for mobile.

Edit: Also, regarding C6M's new SAX, could we get a border around it? Or perhaps get the horizontal bars from the regular pages in there? Also, those things that I had said before should (imho) still be added Smile (Namely, a:hover, and the width: attribute)
Border? It's got two borders.

I don't recall your a:hover and I thought I addressed your width suggestion.

I was trying to suggest that as well, regarding profiles, but I think it was respectfully looked over.
My personal feeling is that if we try to support a third theme in between the main and mobile theme, we'll be fragmenting the site template too much, and giving ourselves way too much to maintain. I feel like any device that needs something more complete than Cemetech 6 mobile can handle the full site; hell, Opera mobile on my featurephone can handle the full site, but I use Cemetech mobile since it's faster and better suited to a mobile device. I do think it's worthwhile for us to make sure that most of the pages are templated in C6m, however, and continue to re-work templating to avoid getting static content (like the SourceCoder explanation text chunks, for example) out of sync between C6 and C6m.
I'll go over and copy/paste all the text from C6 to C6M from SC2 incase anything has changed.

That's a good point, though.
comicIDIOT wrote:
I'll go over and copy/paste all the text from C6 to C6M from SC2 incase anything has changed.

That's a good point, though.
The official way to handle it is to add the static text to one of the /lang files, but I've been trying to avoid loading those down too much. Maybe it's worthwhile to make lang files for some of the various Cemetech projects.
comicIDIOT wrote:

I was trying to suggest that as well, regarding profiles, but I think it was respectfully looked over.

Oh. When I checked it earlier, things weren't showing up correctly, but now it looks right. Not only right, but it looks really good! Smile

I'm sure you're probably just poking things still, and took a break, but it seems like the background for C6M (light gray) is bleeding through to the background color for posts (Which should be dark-ish gray, but appears light gray). Same seems to go for the page to type posts, except it looks more like a missing tag or similar.

Either way, thank you for continuing to fix things Smile And sorry for missing the changes that you made :/
_player1537 wrote:
comicIDIOT wrote:

Oh. When I checked it earlier, things weren't showing up correctly, but now it looks right. Not only right, but it looks really good! Smile

I'm sure you're probably just poking things still, and took a break, but it seems like the background for C6M (light gray) is bleeding through to the background color for posts (Which should be dark-ish gray, but appears light gray). Same seems to go for the page to type posts, except it looks more like a missing tag or similar.

Either way, thank you for continuing to fix things Smile And sorry for missing the changes that you made :/

It appears I broke the styling a bit. My bad. I'm not sure what broke it but it's fixed now. I'll get to the other pages in a few days.

Can you describe your a:hover request a bit? Or is it irrelevant now?
It's still relevant. Open up Pop-Out SAX, and then hover your mouse over one of the links, and (unless Chrome is stupid) it should get smaller. What you can do to fix that (Because, I don't feel that works well) was in my other post:
Code:
a.saxgray:hover, a.saxblack:hover {color: #fff; font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size : 10px; text-decoration: underline;}

// to

a.saxgray:hover, a.saxblack:hover {color: #fff; font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; text-decoration: underline;}
Basically: remove the font-size: inside of a.*:hover.
Oh! Got it. I rarely use C6M with a mouse - and never PopOut SAX - so I had no idea what you were going on about. Yeah, I'll remove that. I'll also up the text size within SAX as well, to match the links.
It turns out http://cemete.ch/about does not actually have a template, so I can't skin it. Which is also a likely reason why I left it out of the navigation at the top. As soon as the page has a template, I'll skin it!
comicIDIOT wrote:
It turns out http://cemete.ch/about does not actually have a template, so I can't skin it. Which is also a likely reason why I left it out of the navigation at the top. As soon as the page has a template, I'll skin it!
That's pretty easily done, assuming that I make a lang file for the About section.
One thing I'd like to see (and I didn't see it mentioned before) is a checkbox under the Post Message text box to "Notify me when a reply is posted". I post stuff from my phone regularly and don't realize somebody replied to the thread unless I check the new posts. I'd rather get an email when someone replies.

Or, don't add a checkbox, but still notify me when a reply is posted because that is my default preference for notifications.
christop wrote:
One thing I'd like to see (and I didn't see it mentioned before) is a checkbox under the Post Message text box to "Notify me when a reply is posted".

Done! Not sure why I left that out in the first place; I guess I assumed no body actually used it. Don't forget that there's a link at the bottom of each page in C6M for suggestions ;)

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours