KermMartian wrote:
This is completely off-topic, but jhgenius (1) have you noticed SAX over there on the left? and (2) I don't think that you Introduced Yourself yet?

Looks like I have a few things to clear up. I introduced myself in May when I first joined but I didn't post anywhere else. so there are a few reasons why people think im a new member.
also, I have noticed SAX and have chatted a bit in it, like OmnomIRC on omnimaga

1) Post count
2) my signature, i Haven't updated it yet
3) Ashbad telling me to introduce myself.

And I have a suggestion. Since the Introduce Yourself topic is filling up nearly 50 pages and it can be a pain finding the post where I introduced myself, it might be better to have a whole board dedicated to introducing people, with one topic for each person so that individual new member discussion with others can go on without other people introducing themselves in the same topic (like on omnimaga)

I cannot even find my post in the topic as the search is not giving me a particular page...
I'm against having a subforum for introducing yourself because we don't need half our forum activity to be "Welcome to Cemetech!". With the method we have now, it's almost a hassle to post lots in that section. Plus, we don't have to worry about really old introductions getting replied to when it would be better to make another topic (Such as, asking for help with TI-Perl in the Introduce Me topic and then needing another topic for the real discussion). Not to mention, those obnoxious "IM HERE XD XD XD" titles aren't here. If you want to read the new introductions, you check the _one_ topic with an obvious title.
Well its going to be hard to try and find my post i made 5 months ago.
Ok I found it after tediously going back through all the pages...
http://www.cemetech.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=151458#151458

PS: About those "obnoxious titles" aren't they usually something like Greetings! or Hello! and it may not be such of a hassle if they are known to be from a particular board.

And I also wonder why I can't see a particular post im searching for using search
But then for every 5 that are just "hello!", you have a couple that are "I herd u liekd calks..." or "Surprise!".

Also, let's stop derailing this topic. Did you ever find that error that TIFreak was talking about a couple posts ago?
I'm not sure what error you are talking about. He was just talking about his site which shall be updated with TokenIDE

EDIT: This post?
http://www.cemetech.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=163300#163300
jhgenius wrote:

PS: About those "obnoxious titles" aren't they usually something like Greetings! or Hello! and it may not be such of a hassle if they are known to be from a particular board.
Eh, I feel like the amount of spam and off-topicness that that promotes isn't a match for Cemetech's post philosophy of fewer high-quality posts than the multitude of much lower-quality, higher-noise posts that other websites foster. That's my thought on why we should stick with the current system.

Quote:
And I also wonder why I can't see a particular post im searching for using search
Click the [+] in the search box at the top right of the page, and choose to show results by topic.

A note on your signature:
_player1537 wrote:
I'm against having a subforum for introducing yourself because we don't need half our forum activity to be "Welcome to Cemetech!". With the method we have now, it's almost a hassle to post lots in that section. Plus, we don't have to worry about really old introductions getting replied to when it would be better to make another topic (Such as, asking for help with TI-Perl in the Introduce Me topic and then needing another topic for the real discussion). Not to mention, those obnoxious "IM HERE XD XD XD" titles aren't here. If you want to read the new introductions, you check the _one_ topic with an obvious title.

this, times a thousand. I really hate the obnoxious titles due to their sheer vagueness... I think we should just keep it how it is.
I'm both for and against it.

I'm for it because Cemetechs' Search sucks, hardcore. As a result it's easier to find a topic than a post. And even if you find the topic the post is in from the search, you still have to manually search through pages of posts.

I'm also against it for the exact reasons stated. We'd get topics with annoying titles.

I'm always one for innovation, we could create a sub forum that only moderators can edit. When a user joins they are given a dialogue box to write about themselves. When their account is activated, it gets published as a new topic, "New Member: Username!" with their introduction. This would also be an interesting bot detection ploy.
The search doesn't "suck" so much as it returns poorly-sorted results, since it sorts on chronological order instead of "relevance". I tried a few searches for Introduce Yourself posts, and I agree that the search needs some work. Nevertheless, I don't think that's a good enough excuse for creating tons of introduction threads, since Google still has great search.
KermMartian wrote:
jhgenius wrote:

Eh, I feel like the amount of spam and off-topicness that that promotes isn't a match for Cemetech's post philosophy of fewer high-quality posts than the multitude of much lower-quality, higher-noise posts that other websites foster. That's my thought on why we should stick with the current system.

Quote:
Click the [+] in the search box at the top right of the page, and choose to show results by topic.

A note on your signature:

Ah I found this topic again after 6 months and I must say some of my views have changed since then.
I was trying to find this post a few months ago but thought I posted it in the TokenIDE topic.
Now I read all the responses carefully I can say some things.
Even though there are over 50 pages in the single Introduce Yourself thread, I can see that having the subforum would kinda off balance all the posts currently in that thread, as well as also possibly cluttering the forums with posts too much.
About the search tool, thanks for point about the [+], KermM. Though it would be nice if it were to search posts by default instead of topics, I can see cases where searching for topics is better.
And the signature thing too I almost missed, but a great banner for being a Cemetech user! Wow I find it very good actually.

Overall, at that time I guess I was trying to get used to Cemetech as there are differences between Omnimaga and Cemetech, but I think I understand more of that now.

Thanks everyone.
Something strange though:

-Omni only has one single birthday thread, but many intro ones
-Cemetech only has one intro thread, but many birthday ones

We would think that Cemetech would only have one big thread of both while Omni has many small ones of both. Shock
DJ_O wrote:
Something strange though:

-Omni only has one single birthday thread, but many intro ones
-Cemetech only has one intro thread, but many birthday ones

We would think that Cemetech would only have one big thread of both while Omni has many small ones of both. Shock

Wow that is interesting. I guess it is down to original tradition.
Thought Omnimaga does have an actual labelled board for Introduce Yourself, and I don't think I see a categorised section of Birthday posts... is there?
EDIT: Hmm in the General Open Topic section (that name can be a bit misleading, I thought it was a single topic until I opened it). The topic titles are all in similar format too.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours