Why can't we just stop with this inane censorship thing in its entirety? What are we gaining here anyway? Absolutely nothing.

This isn't in anyway a beneficial practice. Rather, this is nothing more than an attempt to autocratically govern a congregated body with the self-serving ideals of a single person. I don't care if this is your website nor do I care if you feel you inherently have the right to govern it the way you choose. Words are words. Especially these, which we (perhaps unfortunately) saturate our language with on a daily basis. The (again unfortunate) fact of the matter is that our language is deteriorating. This is mostly likely an unstoppable phenomenon that will only continue to get worse. Ergo, rather than taking an aggressive approach to what you consider to be a problem and outright censoring what words or phrases you feel are wrong, overused, profane, or what reason have you; I believe you should accept the fact that people are going to continue to talk in the manner which you so disdainfully reject.

With each generation that comes and goes, the beliefs come and go as well. Sometimes for the better, sometimes for the worse. Regardless the polarity of the change, the point is that it is change. And, with all change, there will be resistance. The old man will scoff the computer as the youngster embraces it. The fundamentalist will curse certain orientations as sinful while the open-minded promotes it. In this situation, I honestly can only view you, the pro-censoring, as the man of the prior generation and us, the people, as the men (and women) of the new generation. Thus, in the sense of this analogy, you are the inhibitor of change and we are the change.

So what if the change is bad? You have to take the bad with the good to get anywhere. Perhaps in the near future, language will pull a metaphorical u-turn. Perhaps we all degrade to grunts and clicks (no offense intended to the cultures who use clicks and/or grunts as part of their communication). Regardless the future, as always unpredictable, we ought embrace it full force and use its momentum to fling it in another direction if necessary, rather than standing in its path and trying to stop it.

Also, isn't it logical to think that these actions of censorship will, perhaps ironically, only act as a catalyst that furthers along the action(s) which you so persistently censor? Like how prohibition only made alcohol consumption ever the more sweeter, won't censorship of language only intensify the passion of those who speak in the ill-favored manner to speak as such?

Just my thoughts on the matter.

Also, at risk of sounding cold or maybe crass (more so than I undoubtedly already do), I'd just like to say this: if you don't like the heat, get out of the sun. If the language of the internet annoys you, why not just get off the internet? If a million people upset one person, isn't it more logical to just remove the one person than to change the million people?

Again, just my thoughts on the matter.
New Topic Title: The Fall & Rise of L0L
I personally love the idea! At first i thought it was some kind of mnemonic to make it easy for most of the cemetech community to parse it, but then i found this, which is also a very good explanaition and reason to suffix the 0x5 expression. Good job Smile
Imagine being so ticked off by how other people talk that you rant about it on a calculator forum lol
like OMG YOU ALL USE THESE NEWFANGLED THINGS TOO MUCH
hate to break it to anyone, but people using new expressions is nothing new, and, like, putting in like unneccesary words is like nothing new.
i get that you people are really big on optimizing everything. thats a big part of computer science...
meanwhile, im going through 273 pages of documentation to figure out how to use "good" software, and told if i dont read the whole thing, im being lazy...
like, get over yourselves. If i want to lol and rofl and Very Happy and XD, that shouldnt be considered bad.
yes, it took you an extra half second to read what they are, but if you are on forums with enough of those to make it add up, maybe reconsider what forums you are on, or your priorities?
heck, i have seen links to "dont ask to ask" and similar so many times, when honestly it would take much less effort to just respond in 95% of cases.
also, for anyone who took the time to read this, i commend you. i will leave you with a joke:
"i have a linux problem"
"well i can fix prettymuch everything, whats wrong?"
"my terminal wont open"
"i have no power here"
probably coulda been funnier, but hey, i try
heck, the amount of time i have easily invested in this is probably more time than i have "lost" with 0x5 and related.
imma stop now, hope someone learns something today, even if that someone is me.
Wavejumper3 wrote:
Imagine being so ticked off by how other people talk that you rant about it on a calculator forum 0x5
like OMG YOU ALL USE THESE NEWFANGLED THINGS TOO MUCH
hate to break it to anyone, but people using new expressions is nothing new, and, like, putting in like unneccesary words is like nothing new.
i get that you people are really big on optimizing everything. thats a big part of computer science...
meanwhile, im going through 273 pages of documentation to figure out how to use "good" software, and told if i dont read the whole thing, im being lazy...
like, get over yourselves. If i want to 0x5 and rofl and Very Happy and XD, that shouldnt be considered bad.
yes, it took you an extra half second to read what they are, but if you are on forums with enough of those to make it add up, maybe reconsider what forums you are on, or your priorities?
heck, i have seen links to "dont ask to ask" and similar so many times, when honestly it would take much less effort to just respond in 95% of cases.
also, for anyone who took the time to read this, i commend you. i will leave you with a joke:
"i have a linux problem"
"well i can fix prettymuch everything, whats wrong?"
"my terminal wont open"
"i have no power here"
probably coulda been funnier, but hey, i try
heck, the amount of time i have easily invested in this is probably more time than i have "lost" with 0x5 and related.
imma stop now, hope someone learns something today, even if that someone is me.

Have you ever heard of necroposting? Look at how long ago that post is. Most of those people don't even use this site anymore.

Page 6 of 6
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours