Do you want saxjax to send a channel notice for posts & joins?
Yes
 36%  [ 4 ]
No
 45%  [ 5 ]
Just joins, but not posts
 18%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 11

And I have changed it back. It was just a bit too obnoxious for my tastes. Sorry, chronomex.
One alternate suggestion was to split the varying notification related duties between different bots. Not sure how I feel about it, but it would provide more fine-grained controls for ignoring stuff.
elfprince13 wrote:
One alternate suggestion was to split the varying notification related duties between different bots. Not sure how I feel about it, but it would provide more fine-grained controls for ignoring stuff.
I've thought about that before (I've even considered a separate bot for every SAX user so everyone would have their own proper username!) but I think that fewer bots is better.
KermMartian wrote:
(I've even considered a separate bot for every SAX user so everyone would have their own proper username!)

Oh man, that would be nice. Tabcompletion and nick coloring not working for people on the far side of the bridge is lame.
we'd probably need to host our own irc server for that to really work, given the differences between username standards and the lack of guarantees of availability.
elfprince13 wrote:
we'd probably need to host our own irc server for that to really work, given the differences between username standards and the lack of guarantees of availability.
That's true. I don't think I'm willing to go as far as forcing people to join a different IRC server, though. Chronomex: I know, right?
KermMartian wrote:
I've thought about that before (I've even considered a separate bot for every SAX user so everyone would have their own proper username!) but I think that fewer bots is better.

I'd certainly support this. You'd probably need to add an "IRC nickname" field to each user, however, which would default to an appropriately truncated and sanitised version of their Cemetech name but would be editable by the user. (You may also need to reserve one character for nickname collisions).
benryves wrote:
KermMartian wrote:

I'd certainly support this. You'd probably need to add an "IRC nickname" field to each user, however, which would default to an appropriately truncated and sanitised version of their Cemetech name but would be editable by the user. (You may also need to reserve one character for nickname collisions).
Or do some sort of server-side trick, like reserving that nickname for the bot only and nobody else can take it.
One of the problems is that most IRC servers, at least on EfNet, have clauses in their rules limiting each IP address to at most two connections to that server. So there would be significant problems there.
AHelper wrote:
benryves wrote:
KermMartian wrote:

Or do some sort of server-side trick, like reserving that nickname for the bot only and nobody else can take it.
This was in intended to be a response for when elfprince was talking about having your own IRC server, where each person gets their own client (oops, didn't realize that he wasn't quoted). I am sure that if you want to, you can spawn loads of bots locally on the server. If not, get the source of an irc server and insert magic.
Oh sure, that's no problem at all. But if we want to continue using EfNet, for the sake of not having to have all of our calculator-channel-using (#tcpa, #ti, etc) members join two different servers, we need to work within the confines of EfNet's rules. Smile I'm not personally in favor of hosting our own IRC server.
So, keep everyone (well, from this thread, not exactly everyone) happy and keep saxjax as it is until we have a consensus for a change.

<edit>

For your poke at having everyone have their own nick, why not replace the SAX widget with a web plugin for EFNet? saxjax would only say site changes, like posts, and the web client would give everyone their own nick (also seeing saxjax's notices)
AHelper wrote:
So, keep everyone (well, from this thread, not exactly everyone) happy and keep saxjax as it is until we have a consensus for a change.
I think that's the best course of action to take at this point. From people's reaction to the experiment with Saxjax using notices, change is not received very favorably unless people the chance to get accustomed to the idea first. Razz

AHelper wrote:
For your poke at having everyone have their own nick, why not replace the SAX widget with a web plugin for EFNet? saxjax would only say site changes, like posts, and the web client would give everyone their own nick (also seeing saxjax's notices)
Because the web plugin is Java. I'm definitely not putting every single logged-in page load through that pain.
incidentally, https://www.google.com/search?q=irc+client+javascript
KermMartian wrote:
AHelper wrote:
I think that's the best course of action to take at this point. From people's reaction to the experiment with Saxjax using notices, change is not received very favorably unless people the chance to get accustomed to the idea first. Razz

AHelper wrote:
Because the web plugin is Java. I'm definitely not putting every single logged-in page load through that pain.
IIRC, the webchat that EFNet runs is mibbit, a javascript based client (same thing for freenode).
OK, fair enough. They connect to a real persistent program on the webserver side, though, and I cannot run such a program on Cemetech's webserver. Otherwise saxjax would be unnecessary. Smile
Otherwise saxjax would be unnecessary. wrote:
Otherwise saxjax would be unnecessary.
That was my point. That would give everyone their own nick on irc, a proper client, and you can still have a bot to announce all posts and joins.

Also, I was wrong, it isn't mibbit, but instead qwebirc. One way to get this to work is to either make cemetech load pages differently and just have the EFNet provided widget shown all of the time, or have the IRC feature be pop-out only.

These are only suggestions. The best option would be to just have the IRC widget embedded in the sax widget area (resize? or config qwebirc to be small/not showing nicks in the channel) and have it persist.
AHelper wrote:
have the IRC feature be pop-out only.

...and I feel this is going to not be very practical at least until some browser learns to load tabs side-by-side (more or less in the same fashion Windows 8 does with Metro apps "windows") and/or screen resolutions increase so that additional windows can sit side-by-side and still have space inside them for the pages to be readable (I miss my 1080p desktop screen when I use my laptop...)
gbl08ma wrote:
AHelper wrote:
have the IRC feature be pop-out only.

...and I feel this is going to not be very practical at least until some browser learns to load tabs side-by-side (more or less in the same fashion Windows 8 does with Metro apps "windows") and/or screen resolutions increase so that additional windows can sit side-by-side and still have space inside them for the pages to be readable (I miss my 1080p desktop screen when I use my laptop...)
Not that this feature all ready exists. Besides, windows vista+ allow you to snap windows to left/right sides of the screen, KDM lets you do 1/2 or 1/4 screen snaps, gnome does something, etc.

Any yes, I see that this is not an optimal way to do this and wasn't pushing it Wink

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 2 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours