hi guys, thought i'd share this Smile

i was maintaining my site a little, and needed a way to display keys in the page.
when searching for such a thing i came across http://wordpress.org/plugins/keyboard-key-thumbs/ and i just modified it a little so it would accept ti keys, and made some specific images to go with it too.

it's nothing too fancy yet but i thought it was pretty cool Smile

you can see a live page with it at http://nickklein.nl/ti-basic/eenheidscirkel/

and all the keys can be found at
http://nickklein.nl/web/ti-key-wordpress-plugin/

if someone can explain what the LGPL3 license says about redistributing edited versions of code. i can put up some links here Wink
legodude wrote:
if someone can explain what the LGPL3 license says about redistributing edited versions of code. i can put up some links here Wink
"You must provide source code when you distribute your program", substantially. With PHP, that's quite easy because it doesn't (usually) get compiled at all.

Rather interesting idea, but the actual display leaves something to be desired. I'd prefer to simply do rather crazy CSS transformations to create the key images than use actual image files.
Not even something terribly crazy, imho. If you take a look at this topic about calculator key icons, you'll see that my forum members actually favored simple, stylized keys over fancier, more realistic key icons. I think the text on each key simply surrounded by a thick border with rounded corners would be good enough, personally.
Tari wrote:
legodude wrote:
"You must provide source code when you distribute your program", substantially. With PHP, that's quite easy because it doesn't (usually) get compiled at all.

Rather interesting idea, but the actual display leaves something to be desired. I'd prefer to simply do rather crazy CSS transformations to create the key images than use actual image files.

does that also account for redistribution of a modified source?

and i thought i'd make them resemble the keys as much as possible, because my site will be targeted to 13-14 year old, who just have their first meeting with their calcs. so it will be easy to look for keys i you know how they look Smile

does any of you possibly have a technique to remove the corners on those images? becuase i like to have them not so pixelized Smile
I actually just went and (mis)voted in that poll (meant to vote 5, hit 4).

Ideally, you'll want to match the colors of the original keys on the calc that you're copying, which it seems like you're doing.

Getting a hint of the shape of the key is good, too, although I'd go for making them the same height.

As far as how to do it... if you don't want to do CSS transformations, make sure that your key images have a good alpha channel, and make sure that the edges are anti-aliased - edit them at a much larger size than you post them, and then downscale properly, is probably the best bet.
i took the image jstified uses, and cut out the standard keys (the ones that are most horizontal) and polished them up a bit Razz

i edited the first post to include a link to a full keyboard Wink
legodude wrote:
i took the image jstified uses, and cut out the standard keys (the ones that are most horizontal) and polished them up a bit Razz
That's actually against the Terms of Service for jsTIfied. You'd be better off making key images from scratch anyway, so that you could make nice smooth corners. What's your image editor of choice? If you're using something like Paint, you should be using GIMP instead. You can make rectangular selections, round the rectangles, fill with a color or gradient, then add your text.
oohh... ehm. okay. ill remake the buttons then! sorry :/

my image editor is photoshop cs 6, but i also have illustrator installed (legally yes Smile got them together with my dad )

edit:
i remade the buttons in illustrator, and applied some effects to them in photoshop, and i am rather pleased the way they came out Very Happy

i'll put up a link later today. cheers!

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours