It's been about a year and a half since I redesigned my website and I feel it's time for a change of things. Going to remove Photography as the main focus of the domain and focus more on my projects and myself. I'm not too excited about doing all the code work for the new site so I got thinking about using a CMS system. Drupal and Joomla! are two good ones that I know of and will be looking into those. Some requirements that I have going into this are that I can have pages which are editable through the CMS but also pages that I can freely code and display seemlessly into my site. As an example, I recently bought a car and a small netbook computer. I then proceeded to buy an OBDII to USB cable and a software license to obtain readings from my cars computer. I'm starting a personal project to upload the created CSVs and text files then to parse them and show critical data. But these two projects are for a different topic when and if it is needed.

Ultimately, when the projects are done they'd be available to the public; similarly to Cemetech and SourceCoder. Though, using phpBB is not acceptable.

Does anyone have any expereince with Drupal or Joomla! that they'd be willing to share? Other CMS packages?
comicIDIOT wrote:
Some requirements that I have going into this are that I can have pages which are editable through the CMS but also pages that I can freely code and display seemlessly into my site.

This defeats the purpose of a CMS.
I literally just started working with drupal. I might be able to accept questions thrown at me as either I may know about it or will try to figure it out.
My only (disguised) question is the part Nikky quoted. Let me know your opinions and thoughts as you work with it.

allynfolksjr wrote:
comicIDIOT wrote:
Some requirements that I have going into this are that I can have pages which are editable through the CMS but also pages that I can freely code and display seemlessly into my site.

This defeats the purpose of a CMS.

It's the Catch-22 I am faced with at the moment.
What do you mean, publish content written in a language other than what the framework you will use provides? What do you have in mind?
No. I don't want to use the CMS system to make every page. I want to code a page in PHP and have the CMS display it without being limited by the CMS. Pages created outside the CMS would included my calendar project, my photo portfolios, etc. All those will be stand-alone pages but accessible through the site navigation.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours