Thanks to Chronomex on #cemetech on EfNet for this great find.

http://paws.kettering.edu/~jhuggins/humor/opcodes.html

Read, discuss, and enjoy.
Nice find, that's really amusing Very Happy
calcdude84se wrote:
Nice find, that's really amusing Very Happy
I was literally laughing out loud at these, which is rare for me these days; I think my Java students who were taking a quiz while I was reading them were confused. Very Happy One of the few of these I had heard of before was HACF (Halt and Catch Fire), which I had heard from my Compilers professor.
Not really related to the linked article, but it's an amusing assembly opcode on PPC:

Code:
EIEIO - Enforce In-order Execution of I/O

It's a memory barrier that operates on both MMIO and standard memory, but separately.
The HCF opcode is a good way to test the infamous is_computer_on_fire() API call offered by the BeOS kernel (see also: is_computer_on()).
benryves wrote:
The HCF opcode is a good way to test the infamous is_computer_on_fire() API call offered by the BeOS kernel (see also: is_computer_on()).
Hehe, I'd love to get a true and a false from those two routines, respectively. Very Happy
I was laughing pretty hard at those OpCodes as well ^^,

benryves wrote:
Haha, so retarded Laughing
swivelgames wrote:
I was laughing pretty hard at those OpCodes as well ^^,

benryves wrote:
Haha, so retarded 0x5
SDK wrote:
double is_computer_on_fire(void)

Returns the temperature of the motherboard if the computer is currently on fire. If the computer isn't on fire, the function returns some other value.
Err, it returns a double? I'd be very interested in seeing what this actually returns. Razz
KermMartian wrote:
Err, it returns a double? I'd be very interested in seeing what this actually returns. Razz
Haha, I missed that part. Wow, that's funny. I laughed pretty hard when I read that.
I remember being taught assembler on an ICL mainframe.

the class were asked to guess the instruction for OR.

After trying Or, Xor, Exor the class suggested OAR and several spellings of a word that sounds similar to or.

The actual instruction was some totally-unguessable random sequence of letters which I have forgotten.
The site from which the above link is quoted is hilarious...
Programmers and IT (old school) are a breed apart for sure.
ti83head wrote:
Definitely, and very sadly, a dying breed. Most young programmers these days won't touch low-level languages, let alone understand how they work.
g1cmz wrote:
Was it PLAN? That's the only information I seem to be able to find about the ICL assembly language.

Quote:

After trying Or, Xor, Exor the class suggested OAR and several spellings of a word that sounds similar to or.

The actual instruction was some totally-unguessable random sequence of letters which I have forgotten.
Heh, that must have been frustrating indeed. Good thing our trusty z80 has (mostly) logical opcode names.
KermMartian wrote:
ti83head wrote:
Definitely, and very sadly, a dying breed. Most young programmers these days won't touch low-level languages, let alone understand how they work.
g1cmz wrote:
Was it PLAN? That's the only information I seem to be able to find about the ICL assembly language.

Quote:

Heh, that must have been
frustrating indeed. Good thing our trusty z80 has (mostly) logical opcode names.

i don't remember the assembler as having any particular name...
the mainframe was originally an ICL 1900, later superceded by a 2960(?).

i forgot to say that some of the classes suggestions for an instruction sounding like or were rather rude.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours