Hello, I volunteered to help out with an Hour of Code in a couple weeks for our school. My topic will be focused on calculator programming, which as we all know is a great platform to start on. Any starter program ideas to teach? Quadratic Equation, Number Guessing Game, etc.

Thanks,
CalcKid
I think that both programs you mentionned are good ideas, but should only be done after a Hello World.

-The Hello world program will teach how to create a program, write simple code, then execute it (after a compilation step if needed).
-The Quad Solver will teach some basic skills like user input, coding what you want in the right order (don't do b^2-4ac->d before reading a,b,c), using "If" structures, etc.
-The Number Guessing Game teaches about loops.

And once you've done all of that, the rest is only about syntax. To make a game for example, you'd "only" need to apply what you've already learnt plus use some specific functions such as getting keypresses.
It's really interesting that you should bring this up. I got an email from the ACM about the Hour of Code in December, (since I'm an ACM member), and it seemed like something that Cemetech should support and encourage. I like how those examples you've picked are exactly the three examples from Chapter 1 of "Programming the TI-83 Plus/TI-84 Plus", so please feel free to print and distribute the sample chapter of that that's available on Manning's website to help your colleagues learn.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours