The internet has many strange names for different people. A "Grammar Nazi" is someone intent on correcting someone else's grammar and spelling, even if what that person says is understood by the other people around him. A "Troll" is someone who is deliberately sarcastic to someone or something just to get attention. There are several others I could get in to, but one name actually peaks my interest more than the others, and is the point of this article. It comes in two forms. These two forms generally mean the same thing, which is why they are almost completely misused, but they are different enough to be classified in their own separate categories.
One form is "newb," which means a new person who is not necessarily familiar with the normal proceedings of a place, usually a forum or website. The other form is "noob," which means a new person who is not necessarily familiar with the normal proceedings of a place, usually a forum or website, and does not learn said normal proceedings. The main difference between these two terms is that last little bit of the second definition: "...does not learn said normal proceedings."
The nice thing about newbs is they will learn the ways of the forums and try to be helpful, nice members of the community. They are responsible for a community's growth. Noobs, on the other hand, just add to the frustration of the forum administrators and memberbase by not reading the rules, not following the rules, posting in the wrong topics, not listening to the administrators, and just being a general idiot.
People are classified under either title almost as soon as they are noticed on the site. Most people will not give newbs the chance to prove themselves and will automatically classify them as noobs. Those people have their own title on the internet, and, to keep this classy, I will let you guys infer what that title is. Newbs can easily avoid being given the title of "noob" just by following the rules and being nice, but usually once a person becomes a noob there is no way to reverse it, especially if they have proven themselves stupid.
Only a few noobs can actually revert back to being newbs. The way that happens is to follow the rules, stop being an idiot, and build up a good relationship with the people of the forum, assuming you haven't already destroyed any chance of getting even a decent relationship with people on the site.
Remember, this is the internet. There will always be a noob somewhere. All anyone can do is be aware and act accordingly. No one can really escape stupidity. Just be nice and friendly and helpful basically where ever you are, then you won't be called a noob or even a newb! You will move up in the respect category based on how much respect you give to others.
That makes me a Newb. Also I can't get TI-Connect to detect my calc because it says it's unplugged (slash s) /s
Nice write up Chaur! Smile I agree, it is always a good idea to learn the general proceedings before just diving right in. Cemetech, for one, has some things that make it a little different than other forums which is a good idea to keep in mind. Anyhow, let's just hope nikky doesn't see the remark about what a "troll" is. Razz
I agree with all this. And, by the way, one of the rules for Cemetech should be to "not classify people as newbs or noobs". Why don't the administrators add that to the rules list?
caleb1997 wrote:
I agree with all this. And, by the way, one of the rules for Cemetech should be to "not classify people as newbs or noobs". Why don't the administrators add that to the rules list?

Because calling someone a "newb" isn't meant for derogatory use like "noob" is. That's kinda part of the point of this. I feel it should be common sense for people to not automatically assume that everyone is stupid and call them noobs, and, from what I've seen here at Cemetech, that common sense is all over the place. Everyone here is so nice and ready and willing to help someone, especially if that someone doesn't understand something, that there really isn't a need to make that a specific rule; at least from what I can see.
caleb1997 wrote:
We absolutely have both newbies and n00bies, as Chauronslilsis said. The vast, vast majority of our newbies listen to the long-standing members, learn the rules and community etiquette, use good grammar, and become constructive contributors. The small minority remain n00bies who disrupt discussions on the forum and on SAX, spam, use bad grammar, and generally act as a disruptive force in the community. I believe it's the latter class of users that Chauronslilsis is attempting to curb.
KermMartian wrote:
caleb1997 wrote:
We absolutely have both newbies and n00bies, as Chauronslilsis said. The vast, vast majority of our newbies listen to the long-standing members, learn the rules and community etiquette, use good grammar, and become constructive contributors. The small minority remain n00bies who disrupt discussions on the forum and on SAX, spam, use bad grammar, and generally act as a disruptive force in the community. I believe it's the latter class of users that Chauronslilsis is attempting to curb.

I think that repeated trolls and noobs (n00bs?) should have their own special class (-1 rounded squares) in which they have a post limit, among other anti-troll measures.
Why is everyone taking this so seriously? Shock
Chauronslilsis wrote:
Why is everyone taking this so seriously? Shock

Perhaps because Kerm posted.
Breaking it down: Be tolerant of all newbs/noobs for a little while, if they don't learn, oh well. If they do learn great!

My opinion of course. Very Happy
I agree with Eightx84 : we should have some anti-spam measures for members who abuse their posting privileges. But, those measures shouldn't be automatically turned on and then turned off by an admin, they should be like a restraint placed by an admin once a member has proven themselves to be a n00b. Just to keep the place friendly, you know.
Angelstorm9x3 wrote:
I agree with Eightx84 : we should have some anti-spam measures for members who abuse their posting privileges. But, those measures shouldn't be automatically turned on and then turned off by an admin, they should be like a restraint placed by an admin once a member has proven themselves to be a n00b. Just to keep the place friendly, you know.
I disagree. Our current system of simply verbally warning disruptive members, then banning them if they show an unwillingness to learn to contribute positively to the community, seems more than sufficient. Again, the vast, vast majority of new members barely need any guidance, so as long as people are aware that we have our own customs and etiquette (which they generally quickly learn), we don't run into many problems.
I know some forums require 50 posts for link and picture posting.
Eightx84 wrote:
I know some forums require 50 posts for link and picture posting.

I don't feel that's really necessary here. Like Kerm said, everything is working perfectly fine. There's no real reason to change something that already works perfectly.
Sorry this got really serious, Sir Kerm, it definitely wasn't the intention Shock
KermMartian wrote:
I disagree. Our current system of simply verbally warning disruptive members, then banning them if they show an unwillingness to learn to contribute positively to the community, seems more than sufficient. Again, the vast, vast majority of new members barely need any guidance, so as long as people are aware that we have our own customs and etiquette (which they generally quickly learn), we don't run into many problems.

I agree with Kerm. I accidentally double-posted twice and had to be reminded, but I haven't since. I also tried to include Doors CSE in one of my file uploads, and an administrator added to the PM why the file had been rejected.
I was a newb, and not a noob -- because I was trying to fix what I was doing wrong. If I had just been banned or something, I wouldn't have learned and just become bitter. Also, I wouldn't feel like making any of the programs I have made because a lot are meant to help people. Cemetech is very forgiving and has a good system. This is actually the only forum I am using. I am not involved in Omnimaga, the French site, or ticalc.org.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours