Hi. I have come across an issue with my Ti-84 Plus CE.
I have made a program, that when run, finds the y-intercept/slope of two points given. When one of the points has an extravagant decimal place, this might run an issue. When the calculator calculates the y-intercept OR slope, it displays it with the Disp command. When there is a run-on of random numbers in the decimal place, though, it won't show all decimals; it will only show a select few(I haven't counted, but it's a decent amount: maybe 16??). This sparks a problem because if I have more decimal places that won't show, I can't be precise in my calculations. I have run the program backwards, (it finds the linear equation: y=mx+b) by taking an X from one of the points and putting it in the equation. If the y was 366, the non-full-showing decimals make it around 365.999999988.. etc.

In other words, my program won't show all the decimals in a number. The answer won't be precise. I need precise. If there is a fix for solving this issue so it shows ALL the decimals, Please tell me ASAP. I have tried to turn it into fractions, and sometimes they can't be turned into fractions. PLEASE HELP
Hi Waxiemaxie, if you use Pause instead of Disp, you'll be able to scroll the answer using your arrow buttons. If this isn't suitable, you can try using Output(, which does wrapping, or using the Text( which will give you some extra screen real-estate by using the graph screen. Note that the screen sizes for the 84+CE will be different than the 83 which the documents use.
...You really need that many decimals? For what? I'd say 8 should suffice for just about anything short of rocket science!
If a number ends with a .9999999999 or a .000000001 or something similar, 99% of the time it's just the calculator's rounding error and not the actual value.
waxiemaxie wrote:
When there is a run-on of random numbers in the decimal place, though, it won't show all decimals; it will only show a select few(I haven't counted, but it's a decent amount: maybe 16??).
The calculator can store up to 14 significant digits, and display up to 12. Of course, the larger the number, the less precision it can store, because some of those digits are taken up by the portion of the number before the decimal point. Merthsoft's post provides the remaining information you need to get the most possible precision out of the stored number.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours