For example, here's a histogram of all the files on my C drive, by last modified time:

Any other examples you might have? Razz
Number of times this post has been posted vs. edited:

5–––––––––––-
4–––––––––––-
3––––––––•––-
2––––––––•––-
1––•–––––•––-
–Posted–Edited-
oldmud0 wrote:
For example, here's a histogram of all the files on my C drive, by last modified time:

That's actually not meaningless, it precisely tells me when you use your computer.
Nik wrote:
That's actually not meaningless, it precisely tells me when you use your computer.

No, the vast majority of those files are either Windows files or program files, most of which preserve their last modified time (i.e. last modified time is when the file was actually made, not when it was copied to the computer).

Also the inconsistency between "OK" and "Ok" on that last comic strip irritates me.
oldmud0 wrote:

Also the inconsistency between "OK" and "Ok" on that last comic strip irritates me.

I think it's because each comes from a different person and every person has a different kind of diction.

Sine of Tangent of X:

Sin(Tan(X)).

That was the only thing I could think of as being meaningless.

I made a python script awhile ago to make charts from my IRCCloud logs.

My calculator game releases since 2001
Ivoah wrote:
I made a python script awhile ago to make charts from my IRCCloud logs.
There aren't any units on the Y axis, so I assume this is estimated wiener quotient or something.
Since Kerm has the most of this whatever-score, obviously, more is better. So no worries Tari, we normal folks are more or less in the middle of this graph. Not too good, but not too bad either! Razz
Lower is better I think.
How about a random "function"? Razz

This got me thinking, is this even a function? Sure each input gave a single output, but asking the calculator to graph it again given the same input function will result in a different output...

EDIT: I had not thought very hard about how these numbers were generated and have been enlightened by Nik Razz indeed, assuming the seed is part of the input, then there is nothing very special about these graphs! Although in a more hypothetical non-calculator related instance where no seed is needed and random numbers are plucked out of thin air, then such a graph would be entirely meaningless Razz
makes me think the topic should have been titled RANDOM graphs Wink
Here's a meaningless graph for you!

mr womp womp wrote:
This got me thinking, is this even a function? Sure each input gave a single output, but asking the calculator to graph it again given the same input function will result in a different output...

Assuming the seed of the rand function is part of the input, you will have the same output for the same input.
Well now that SFPT has begun rolling that ball...

mr womp womp wrote:
How about a random "function"? Razz

EDIT: I had not thought very hard about how these numbers were generated and have been enlightened by Nik Razz indeed, assuming the seed is part of the input, then there is nothing very special about these graphs! Although in a more hypothetical non-calculator related instance where no seed is needed and random numbers are plucked out of thin air, then such a graph would be entirely meaningless Razz
I remember once making a Tunnel game that used randomized graph equations to draw roads.
Have a look at this Graph!

https://www.google.de/search?q=5+%2B+(-sqrt(1-x%5E2-(y-abs(x))%5E2))*sin(100*((10-x%5E2-(y-abs(x))%5E2)))%2C+x+is+from+-1+to+1%2C+y+is+from+-1+to+1.5%2C+z+is+from+1+to+6&oq=5+%2B+(-sqrt(1-x%5E2-(y-abs(x))%5E2))*sin(100*((10-x%5E2-(y-abs(x))%5E2)))%2C+x+is+from+-1+to+1%2C+y+is+from+-1+to+1.5%2C+z+is+from+1+to+6

(Sorry, should copy/paste the link. Somehow, no BBCode I tried, and not even SAX, want to accept this as an URL, and the formatting is weird :/ )

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours