Hello!
I am working on a client for Xfinity TV. I'm using XACT and XSCT codes from a browser to authenticate requests, and so far am able to get a listing of channels and their stream URL's. The only problem I'm facing, is the stream urls are encoded or encrypted with Adobe Flash Access DRM, and AES-128. I was wondering if there was a way to decrypt these streams (I'm making an Apple TV app). I'm mainly using Java as a server backend (accessing Xfinity TV must be done from home wifi), and then that Java server will send content to the tvOS app. I can also use PHP.
Hmm, sounds interesting. I like a good challenge. It's probably best to analyze HTTP(S) requests with something like Fiddler. You're already doing that, presumably.

That said, I detest DRM/encryption for its secrecy and hysterical desire for ownership from their servers to your monitor's pixels (fortunately not to your brain).

You need to see if they use HTTP Live Streaming (HLS). If they do, you're in luck because it is supported by most Apple products including Apple TV. So you don't have to decrypt it beforehand, you just have to pass it correctly to your client's platform so that it can do the decrypting for you.
oldmud0 wrote:
You need to see if they use HTTP Live Streaming (HLS). If they do, you're in luck because it is supported by most Apple products including Apple TV. So you don't have to decrypt it beforehand, you just have to pass it correctly to your client's platform so that it can do the decrypting for you.

I do believe they do, but I think the stream is encrypted with something extra that only Primetime Player can play... Adobe's proprietary player...
Livestreamer gives the error: Unable to open URL: https://bet.ccp.xcal.tv (404 Client Error: Not Found for url: https://bet.ccp.xcal.tv/)"

Edit:
Some more things I've found:
The xacs and xact codes are just Base64 encoded xml files with a little information about the client
Primetime Player uses the built-in Flash DRM (good!)

If anybody has an iOS device that's jailbroken, would you be willing to decrypt the Xfinity TV iOS app so I can decompile it? Smile
I don't use anything Apple, but maybe you should look at the Android app while you're at it.
oldmud0 wrote:
I don't use anything Apple, but maybe you should look at the Android app while you're at it.

I did, but it uses a lot of Android specific calls. This is a problem for me for two reasons:
1. I have no experience programming in Android
2. iOS would be easier to port to tvOS.
I believe you should take a close look or two at this:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-circumvention#Circumvention_of_Access_Controls
Ah yes, here comes the protector of corporate interests big and small.
I don't think he wants to circumvent the protection ("go against the stream"), he wants to "go with the stream" and do exactly what the regular software is doing except for a different platform. I do also believes this falls under the interoperability clause because the purpose is to interface Xfinity with Apple TV.
oldmud0 wrote:
I don't think he wants to circumvent the protection ("go against the stream"), he wants to "go with the stream" and do exactly what the regular software is doing except for a different platform. I do also believes this falls under the interoperability clause because the purpose is to interface Xfinity with Apple TV.

My reasoning for why this is ok is this:
I'm not circumventing DRM. I'm porting a player to another system. If using Primetime Player's own code, ported or not, counts as DRM circumvention, then Primetime Player itself is illegal.
The vague wording of the few copyright laws in effect is why DMCA reform is such a hot topic. DMCA almost always favors the larger copyright owner in case law.
did you manage to work this out??

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours