Update: I've been putting together a World Editor (in C# for Windows at this stage, but I've also started messing about with Qt for a cross-platform editor down the track). It's been progressing slowly now that I'm back at work, but over the last couple of nights I've written an implementation of the Huffman compression algorithm that's compatible with Jimmy Mardell's TI implementation, so worlds can be loaded and saved nicely.

The plan is to get the World Editor to at least enough of a working point that I can put together some extra levels, then I'll be releasing the game, and following up with the Editor shortly after Smile
Awesome man! Would it be possible for people to check out the Huffman stuff when it's finished? I'm sure some people would be interested in using it for Text etc.
Yay! I am excited for this! Very Happy
tr1p1ea wrote:
Awesome man! Would it be possible for people to check out the Huffman stuff when it's finished? I'm sure some people would be interested in using it for Text etc.
Definitely! It's probably not the most elegant code, but I'll include the source code for those that might find it useful Smile

Just saw your note in SAX too - I'm glad we're both ok! Horrible tragedy :/
Very close to releasing this now. The last few days or so I've finished off the Windows version of the World Editor and put together a single level "Tutorial World" as well as a new 3 level "Sqrxz World Part IV". So the game will come with 16 levels in total, as well as being able to play .8xp world files from the 83+/84+ archives on ticalc.org.

Additionally, the World Editor can open .83p and .86s World Files as well, and then save them as .8xv appvars for the TI-84+CE.

Right now I'm just finishing off the game by adding in a Teacher Key (quick quit to homescreen and resume game next time the game gets run), and then I'll be uploading to the archives, hopefully end of this week Smile
Sqrxz CE v1.0.0 is now released! You can grab it here on Cemetech Smile

The World Editor isn't far off either. It's Windows only at this stage, but I'd like to work on a cross platform version as well once have more time to spend with Qt.
The World Editor is now in the archives too, which you can grab here Smile
This is looking great, man! Very Happy
Sqrxz was one of my favorite games back in the day! Your rendition looks beautiful! I know the original was like that, but what about not clipping Sqrxz when he jumps offscreen, since he just sorta disappears out of nowhere. I don't remember if any levels make use of that, though. I always loved the swinging camera.
Switchblade wrote:
This is looking great, man! Very Happy
Thanks! Smile

chickendude wrote:
Sqrxz was one of my favorite games back in the day! Your rendition looks beautiful! I know the original was like that, but what about not clipping Sqrxz when he jumps offscreen, since he just sorta disappears out of nowhere. I don't remember if any levels make use of that, though. I always loved the swinging camera.
Same, and the source code to the TI-83 version was also a great learning tool for me back in the day, so it holds a special place in my heart Razz I did consider extending the play screen height to allow for Sqrxz jumping up the top, but then any solid blocks at the top of the level would also need to be extended up (so that you can't cheat by running over the top of levels), and I figured that this would start to look ugly. So I opted to leave it as per the original PC & TI versions.. Smile

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 3 of 3
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours