I'd love to see SAX to always be in view, even after scrolling down the page. It's a little annoying to scroll up every time you need to check SAX. it could start following the page as soon as you scroll down so the top of SAX is at the top of the page.
In that case, for some rather small screen, it's impossible to see the entire SAX if it's staying at top. I do like the idea though, it's not annoying and rather helpful, but like my screen, sometimes you won't see the last messages in SAX.
I was a little surprised that phpBB does not support [nocode]. Can we make this into a thing?
I realize this makes Cemetech seem more like a social media site like Twitter than a development forum, but perhaps add the ability to follow users. (Hear me out, I spent like > 30 seconds on this...)

Here's how it could work:

Every user could have a "follow" button.
If you choose to follow a user, you get an email when he/she creates a new topic (that you have access to, and is in the right subforum/subforums, I'll explain the latter in a moment, keep reading...) or gets a file accepted.

I figure you can simply check the new posts for posts the user made, and I don't really want hundreds of emails if I follow more than one person.

I also think that the number of people you follow should be somewhat private to you (unless you choose to share it), and the number of followers you have should not be known to anyone (perhaps besides the admins?), for reasons I am struggling to put into words (dang headache) but should be decently obvious.

Of course, you can un-follow users as well.

If a thread is made by a user you are following in a subforum that relates to projects (I.E. they started work on a project) followers should get the notification.

I also think that this could be a new form of moderation, perhaps, not sending the notification emails for a period of time.

Users should also only gain the ability to get followed if they have made ~25 posts, to prevent people spamming to get attention (I'm thinking like someone who would abuse the system, and am probably overthinking it...).

Also, if you ask for follows, bad things should happen.

I'm somewhat (aka very) skeptical about this idea myself, but it could be a nice addition, perhaps?
Sounds like a fine concept - but if it were a thing, I'd rather it be in the form of notifications on Cemetech rather than emails. Of course, you could always have settings to change it.
_iPhoenix_ wrote:
If you choose to follow a user, you get an email when he/she creates a new topic (that you have access to, and is in the right subforum/subforums, I'll explain the latter in a moment, keep reading...) or gets a file accepted.

_iPhoenix_ wrote:
Users should also only gain the ability to get followed if they have made ~25 posts, to prevent people spamming to get attention (I'm thinking like someone who would abuse the system, and am probably overthinking it...).
If no one is 'following' him, it wouldn't help Razz

In general, I don't really like this system. You said it yourself, Cemetech won't be a social media/news site. Plus, why would you want to follow certain persons? Just visit Cemetech daily and you get all the new topics Razz

Also, one could very simply write an RSS feed which runs every 10 minutes or so, and checks if a new topic/post is made by that user.
oldmud0 wrote:
I was a little surprised that phpBB does not support [nocode]. Can we make this into a thing?
You could wrap the text in question in [code] tags, for one thing.

I tend to agree that the ability to follow a user, rather than just a topic, would likely be a distraction from the intended use of the forum, being able to look at all of the latest posts in one place (and could also generate a great deal of email spam to boot). As PT_ said, you could also certainly implement that yourself using our existing latest posts RSS feed.
Here's just a suggestion that I was thinking about very recently. ICE programs are not very popular yet. There maybe around 5-6 of them including the ones of TI-Planet. It's always hard to fin those ice programs because they are still in the asm section of the TI-84 Plus CE archives. By any chance, could you make a new section in the TI-84 Plus CE archives for ICE programs. Because if you want to see the source code an ICE programs for reference... then it's hard to find them all.
TheGeekyScientist wrote:
Here's just a suggestion that I was thinking about very recently. ICE programs are not very popular yet. There maybe around 5-6 of them including the ones of TI-Planet. It's always hard to fin those ice programs because they are still in the asm section of the TI-84 Plus CE archives. By any chance, could you make a new section in the TI-84 Plus CE archives for ICE programs. Because if you want to see the source code an ICE programs for reference... then it's hard to find them all.

I like it Very Happy
Don't forget my 5 example programs though Wink (if they still work...)
KermMartian wrote:
I tend to agree that the ability to follow a user, rather than just a topic, would likely be a distraction from the intended use of the forum, being able to look at all of the latest posts in one place (and could also generate a great deal of email spam to boot). As PT_ said, you could also certainly implement that yourself using our existing latest posts RSS feed.

A more subtle alternative could be to add an optional filter in the Weekposts section, where you could filter by author, date, subforum or whatever.
I would like to see a feature in the Archives that will give a chronological list of uploads/updates to make it easier to check for a new update of a program.
CalcMeister wrote:
I'd love to see SAX to always be in view, even after scrolling down the page. It's a little annoying to scroll up every time you need to check SAX. it could start following the page as soon as you scroll down so the top of SAX is at the top of the page.

true I would love that too but I do wish that it could be compatible with chrome notifications to pop up when I am highlighted and possibly when a Favorited person logs on to cemetech like a colleague on a project or event notifications like hcwp or contests that have just started so we can ensure that we get to it on time if we are interested and of course when someone reply's to your posts (this will work even when you are not on the web site. Its something chrome does in the background every 10 minutes or something) But it is really useful and I hope you think so too.
_iPhoenix_ wrote:
I realize this makes Cemetech seem more like a social media site like Twitter than a development forum, but perhaps add the ability to follow users. (Hear me out, I spent like > 30 seconds on this...)

Here's how it could work:

Every user could have a "follow" button.

I figure you can simply check the new posts for posts the user made, and I don't really want hundreds of emails if I follow more than one person.

I also think that the number of people you follow should be somewhat private to you (unless you choose to share it), and the number of followers you have should not be known to anyone (perhaps besides the admins?), for reasons I am struggling to put into words (dang headache) but should be decently obvious.

Of course, you can un-follow users as well.

If a thread is made by a user you are following in a subforum that relates to projects (I.E. they started work on a project) followers should get the notification.

I also think that this could be a new form of moderation, perhaps, not sending the notification emails for a period of time.

Also, if you ask for follows, bad things should happen.

I'm somewhat (aka very) skeptical about this idea myself, but it could be a nice addition, perhaps?

Awesome idea I totally support your idea but like others stated it would be better if it was not sent by email...
A few things.

Firstly, the sticky topic "Sax Commands" isn't really useful, so perhaps change the title to "[outdated] Sax Commands", or un-sticky it.

Secondly, perhaps add a section for music/sfx, but reserve it for use in games or other applications (to fit in more) instead of just music production in general.

Thirdly, (I may have asked for this before, but I have slightly revised it) add the ability to "see more/show less" in the archive statistics, perhaps up to the top 50 users.

Fourthly, possibly let the SAX widget expand the page downwards on mobile, so that you can just scroll down to the bottom page to see SAX.
Could we perhaps make the SAX chat scroll down with you? Cause I really don't like having to scroll up from a really long page every 5 seconds to see if someone spoke to me without highlighting me.
Caleb_J wrote:
Could we perhaps make the SAX chat scroll down with you? Cause I really don't like having to scroll up from a really long page every 5 seconds to see if someone spoke to me without highlighting me.

Just use IRC like everyone else.
MateoConLechuga wrote:

Well, maybe I want to, but can't because it's blocked? As is EVERY other chat site out there?

Also, I can't install anything on these computers. So IRC is useless to me right now.
Caleb_J wrote:
MateoConLechuga wrote:

Well, maybe I want to, but can't because it's blocked? As is EVERY other chat site out there?

Also, I can't install anything on these computers. So IRC is useless to me right now.

If you have a smartphone you can just download the IRCCloud app.
MateoConLechuga wrote:
Caleb_J wrote:

Honestly, to tag on to this, if you're that concerned about missing something in SAX you can pop it out into it's own window. Then you can display two windows on your screen!

Quote:
Secondly, perhaps add a section for music/sfx, but reserve it for use in games or other applications (to fit in more) instead of just music production in general.

That's a decent idea. Are you thinking about sound development and design in games our members are creating or to discuss soundtracks and sound design in games? If it's something we create I want to make sure there's enough detail so we put it in the correct area and describe it appropriately.

Quote:
Fourthly, possibly let the SAX widget expand the page downwards on mobile, so that you can just scroll down to the bottom page to see SAX.

That's honestly not a bad idea. We originally "hid" it from view because it still updates. I just inspected the page and SAX still runs in even though "SAX has been disabled." So maybe we either need to disable it or make it visible.
Alex wrote:
Quote:

That's a decent idea. Are you thinking about sound development and design in games our members are creating or to discuss soundtracks and sound design in games? If it's something we create I want to make sure there's enough detail so we put it in the correct area and describe it appropriately.

Perhaps we could do it as a sub-subforum deal, where there is a Discussion section, and a Production section?

When I posted that I was thinking along the lines of the latter, but I also thought having a general music section was too much of a leap.

I think that there should be a general music discussion section, and a game soundtrack and sound effects production section.
_iPhoenix_ wrote:
When I posted that I was thinking along the lines of the latter, but I also thought having a general music section was too much of a leap.

I think that there should be a general music discussion section, and a game soundtrack and sound effects production section.

I'm gunna back track a bit on this. I still like the idea but I feel it's way too narrow of a scope.

Again here, I'm going to immediately contradict myself but while I'm a believer of a "build it, and they will come" philosophy, I just... don't see this being that beneficial. There have been absolutely no topics on the discussion of a games sound design or soundtrack; maybe a handful of topics about general albums. If someone were really compelled to discuss something like that, they can post it in the "Reviews" subforum. If those topics start coming in droves, then I'll consider a dedicated place for them.

Page 31 of 33
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours