So I mentioned this to MateoConLechuga, and he seemed to like the idea. The thought is is if we use the examples given at CProgramming.com and update them to work on the CE, it may help users gain a better understanding of C for the calculator.

The thing I'm not sure is, do we dedicate a post to each tutorial lesson for the examples they contain, or do we see if we can grab/host a copy to wiki with the updates for calc specific code?

Thoughts? Suggestions? Good/bad idea?

I'm currently trying to go through learning C again, with the focus and intent to program on the CE. Getting example code on what they are wanting to do to plug into the CE would help me immensely, so I could still get the effect of learning from the tutorial over just browsing around the code examples included with the SDK.
I think a good way to tackle this is to either have (1) a topic for each section or (2) a locked topic for the whole thing that's sticked to the top of this sub-forum.

1. With this option we can utilize descriptive titles so visitors can search for the correct thing. We can have titles like:
    • [Intro 1.1] Introduction to C
    • [Intro 1.2] If Statements
    • [Intro 1.3] Loop Statements
    • [Data 2.1] Pointers
    • [Data 2.2] Structures
    • [Data 2.3] Strings
    • [More Y.Z] etc
    That way users who wish to advance to the next lesson can find the next one. We can even add in a Table of Contents that visitors can click through to more readily view the next section. I think it'd be a good idea to work in a private forum until the topics are ready. That way those working on it can push out the topics when they're complete.

2. This locked topic would be similar to #1. Except it'd be all in one topic that users can not post in. Users would be encouraged to make a topic and title it with the lesson section and subsection they're stuck on as well as a brief summary of what the problem is. Then expounding on the idea in the topic body.

The first post would be the introduction and table of contents that links to each post. Each post will be titled either using the post subject in the "Post New Reply" (as I did here) and/or using large font sizes.

The only thing we should be careful of, is to make sure we have permission to do so. Whether that means contacting the site or writing our own tutorial based on their layout. I really don't want anyone to go to their site, copy everything then tweak a few words or examples so it befits the CE. That's straight up plagiarism. I hope no one here would do that, I just wanted to be explicitly clear.

But yes, I think doing something this detailed is a great idea. We can even take the posts and distribute it as a PDF or something too and even make a page around it; we'll need to be diligent in keeping them all up-to-date if we edit one.
Just an FYI, but I've shot an email towards cprogramming.com to see if we could host our own copy with the intent to make it more usable towards calc programming. I sent it earlier this morning, have yet to receive a response. I'll let you know if they say anything.
Well, I've still not heard anything back from them, so I'm not sure an answer is coming our way.

An alternative suggestion would be to start a topic specific to updating the examples. The first post could link to the first page, and in code blocks, show how the different examples would look for calc programming.

Thoughts?
tifreak8x wrote:
Well, I've still not heard anything back from them, so I'm not sure an answer is coming our way.

An alternative suggestion would be to start a topic specific to updating the examples. The first post could link to the first page, and in code blocks, show how the different examples would look for calc programming.

Thoughts?

This makes no sense; C is merely a coding language; not a platform specific thing. Those tutorials are very poor and assume that what you are programming has a terminal and a whole host of extra goodies. The examples; if you open them in the toolchain; will provide more insight than any tutorial ever will.

A much, much clearer version of tutorials can be made that avoids those hideous walls of text. C is not a very complex language when you are first diving in.

Also that tutorial is made even more awful by recommending to use code blocks. All in all; those tutorials are not a good way to learn C.
Alex wrote:
The only thing we should be careful of, is to make sure we have permission to do so. Whether that means contacting the site or writing our own tutorial based on their layout. I really don't want anyone to go to their site, copy everything then tweak a few words or examples so it befits the CE. That's straight up plagiarism. I hope no one here would do that, I just wanted to be explicitly clear.

I just want to clarify my statement here. I was saying, rather poorly, that if we simply re-host the tutorial (with tweaks for calculators) on our site we should absolutely seek their permission. Now, if you guys want to aka your own tutorial using a similar guide and number structure, that'd probably be okay. (Note the emphasis on the probably).

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours