What should we rename Archives to?
Archives
 26%  [ 8 ]
Programs
 16%  [ 5 ]
Downloads
 56%  [ 17 ]
Total Votes : 30

Conversation between myself and Zeman, IRL.
(Yes, we talk about calcs and the archives)
Quote:
*Zeman starts playing PacMan on his CE*
Me: Where did you download it?
Also me: Was it Cemetech?
Zeman: I was about to but I found it too confusing.
Me: Can you explain?
Zeman: Well, I watched a video...
Me: Was it KermMartian's?
Zeman: Yeah.
Me: Well, he's like the "Numero Uno" of Cemetech...
Zeman: Holy ****
Zeman: Well, the video was confusing, because his screen wasn't like mine.
Me: Well, there are going to more files in the archives now.
Zeman: I'm probably just stupid.
Me: Agreed.
KermMartian wrote:
Among other things, please think about what would be the most recognizable to the largest swath of the general public coming here looking for GAME 4 CALC and so on.
Rename archives to DOWNLOAD POKÉMON FOR CALCS!. As everyone else in the TI community knows, the only way to get one download from a calculator game since 2010 or so is to use all-caps and clickbait.
I guess when I joined I clicked on the different tabs to figure out what they did. Obviously poking around a little will tell you what everything is, and I think a lot of new members do that. What I think we should be more concerned about is non-users just looking for downloads and not to join. However, searching calculator games on google returns the Cemetech Assembly/Basic game archives as the first result, so anyone solely searching for games would find the right place. I doubt anyone would search for calculator themed websites and then search for downloads within the website.
What I'm saying is that I don't think it matters that much.
I partially disagree that it doesn't matter to users here, as those who voted here expressed the preference to rename archives to downloads. Even if it is true that it doesn't matter once you know where downloads are we still care for non-users to be able to find them from the site easily - imagine a non-user visiting us to find out something else about their calculator without any idea that files can be downloaded to the calculator in the first place - downloads would be a new discovery for them and they would most likely just skip archives on the menu.

I would however recommend the actual url path to remain unchanged for forum links, signatures etc to require no change - so only change the menu title not the path to the files.
I also suggest making the hover text of the button "Archives".

This will make it easier on people who are used to the name archives, without detracting from the clean look.
Downloads. Duh. Why is this even being discussed.

I also vote to put PT_ in charge of the navigation changes.
_iPhoenix_ wrote:

This will make it easier on people who are used to the name archives, without detracting from the clean look.
Absolutely. While we're at it, we should put hover text over every tab.
CalcMeister wrote:
_iPhoenix_ wrote:

No. Hover text over nothing. It's neither accessible nor mobile friendly.
allynfolksjr wrote:
CalcMeister wrote:
_iPhoenix_ wrote:

No. Hover text over nothing. It's neither accessible nor mobile friendly.

Well, it doesn't hurt, does it?

I agree with what you said, though.
Thinking about the non-native English speakers and people who barely speak English but might still find their way to Cemetech while searching for calculator programs and games, I believe "Downloads" is by far the best option.
From my point of view, it's an English word that is recognized by pretty much anyone who uses the latin alphabet and has used the Internet for any reasonable amount of time. In some cultures it's even been adopted in favor of the native translation - I think most Portuguese speakers use "download" instead of "descarga" or "transferência" which would be the Portuguese words (that said, unlike the Spanish for instance, we treat our own language very poorly, often importing words from other languages even when we have our own words for things...).

It's also the word I think automated translators will translate best - I imagine that in some languages, "Archives" might correspond to two or more different words, one for each meaning. "Download" has a single meaning in English, so it's easier to translate; even if it is translated as a verb instead of a noun, it's no big issue.
For example, Google Translate might translate "Archives" into Portuguese "Arquivos", but nowadays nobody in Portugal uses that word to refer to computer files - at most, they might use it to refer to compressed files (ZIP, RAR, TAR, etc.). However, if you were speaking of e.g. archived forum posts, "Arquivos" would be the right word.

Finally, this might not be the best place to make this suggestion, but it would be great if each of the calculator folders on the currently-Archives section was accompanied by a thumbnail with a picture of the calculator model in question, making it easier for people to identify their calculator. The pictures on the "Get Started With..." section of https://www.cemetech.net/tools/index.php are just right.

EDIT: I was refraining from mentioning this because it sounds a bit far-fetched, but here goes anyway: one time I mentioned Cemetech to a friend who asked me where I was getting all these nice Prizm programs I showed off. He managed to get here, but couldn't find where to download them. Of course, he had overlooked the Archives section. I believe he had taken a look around "Projects" or something like that, and obviously didn't find anything. Once I told him to go on "Archives" he had a "doh, of course" moment. This was like four years ago, but even today I notice that the Archives section is not promoted at all on the home page, unlike "Popular Resources", "Recent Forum Posts" and "Cemetech Labs Updates". None of these help people looking for calculator programs...

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 2 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours