So, I really like playing this game. It's called Ragdoll Invaders.

What I plan to do is start with a simplified version, and get more complicated from there.

First step: Generate the sprites for it.

Anyone have any suggestions for that?

While I wait for that, I will post how I will do the AI routines.

Their movement is simple enough-every few seconds, pick a new direction to go in. For their attacks, though... For the first one, it's easy enough. Just shoot towards where you currently are. Something like:

Code:

If P>=2 //a timer that determines when to attack
A->X //A and B is your current position, and X and Y are where it's going to shoot.
B->Y

There's the beginning of the AI code.

As for movement:

Code:

randInt(1,3)->Z
L1(1)+Z->Z
L1(2)-Z->Z

I'll have to make some more code, like have a chance that Z can be negative, so it can move in more than 1 direction, and I'll have to put in some screen bounds, so it won't go past the screen edge. Shouldn't be too hard for that.

Thoughts? Questions? Comments?

EDIT:
Code so far:

Code:
#include <stdbool.h>
#include <stddef.h>
#include <stdint.h>
#include <tice.h>
#include <math.h>
#include <stdio.h>
#include <stdlib.h>
#include <string.h>
#include <graphx.h>

int a; // makes the integers that will, for now, be the x and y coords for the first sprite
int b;
int screenBoundSprite1;
int screenBoundSprite2;
int screenBoundSprite3;
This is an interesting game! Will you be able to handle shooting in multiple directions? Other than that, this seems like it will be a cool game. Keep it up! Very Happy
Sounds great! Just a small suggestion; I'm assuming L1(1) and L1(2) are your enemy's X and Y coordinates, so shouldn't

Code:
randInt(1,3)->Z
L1(1)+Z->Z
L1(2)-Z->Z

be

Code:
randInt(1,3)->Z
L1(1)+Z->L1(1)
L1(2)+Z->L1(2)

And then further optimization for space (only saves a few bytes, but those bytes count):

Code:
randInt(1,3->Z
Z+L1(1->L1(1
Z+L1(2->L1(2

EDIT: Realized this is a C topic, so a little off-topic optimization rant Razz
Hey,
Just another suggestion. It's usually helpful in programming languages that let you choose variable names (rip TI-BASIC) to choose meaningful variables from the beginning.

Ex. Change var names a and b to sprite1x, sprite1y.
Coder: I know, which is why I'm doing this in C.

Battlesquid: For right now, no. Although, once I do get everything else down, I do have an idea about that, but it'll be a bit complicated. Currently, I was thinking of using the number keys for shooting, not entirely unlike what Portal Returns does for shooting the portals.

123outerme: Thanks for the optimizations; I was also thinking of just letting them bounce off the walls and a invisible platform near the bottom.

Thanks for the feedback, guys! Hopefully I can get some code up and running later this weekend. Or perhaps generate a few sprites.

EDIT: I can't run ConvPNG; my computer won't let me. Is anyone here willing to convert a few images so that I can generate my sprites?

In the meanwhile, I can write code.

To-do list:

Figure out movement

Write enemy routines for moving
Figure out shooting
Powerups
Gravity (because the character is affected by it and so is some enemy projectiles)

Movement code thus far:

Code:
while ((key = os_GetCSC()) != sk_Clear) {
        if(key == sk_Up)
            sprite1y+=10;
        if(key == sk_Down)
            sprite1y-=10;
        if(key == sk_Left)
            sprite1x-=10;
        if(key == sk_Right)
            sprite1x+=10;
    }

Though how I make the sprite follow these I have no idea.
This is really cool, and making me want to get back into learning C for the 3rd 4th 5th 6th time
Phoenix: Why not?

So, anyone have any idea on how to display a sprite? I have no idea on how to work with sprites.

Of course, I could pull a TI-basic trick and use pixels to illustrate the sprite.

What do you guys think? Should I actually make a sprite, or just use pixel art for now?

Speaking of pixel art, I was thinking of doing this:

Code:
Pixel-On(X,Y)
Pixel-On(X+1,Y-1)

Should I do that? Or would it slow down the framerate too much? because for this to properly work, I need a decently high framerate.

EDIT:

Current state of code is here.
Update:

For now, I'll do the method I mentioned above. Until I get to understand the sprite routines, at least.

I should have some code by the end of the weekend, but I'm not sure, as my weekend is packed with things.

Code for movement thus far:

Code:
#include <stdbool.h>
#include <stddef.h>
#include <stdint.h>
#include <tice.h>
#include <math.h>
#include <stdio.h>
#include <stdlib.h>
#include <string.h>
#include <graphx.h>
int sprite1x = 100; // makes the global integers that will, for now, be the x and y coords for the first sprite
int sprite1y = 100;
int key;
void main()
{
gfx_Begin();
    while ((key = os_GetCSC()) != sk_Clear) {
        if(key == sk_Up)
            sprite1y+=2;
        if(key == sk_Down)
            sprite1y-=2;
        if(key == sk_Left)
            sprite1x-=2;
        if(key == sk_Right)
            sprite1x+=2;
    gfx_SetColor(gfx_black);
        gfx_SetPixel(sprite1x,sprite1y); //start of display for character sprite. NOTE: It will not look anything at all like a ragdoll man.
    }

}

Battlesquid wrote:
This is an interesting game! Will you be able to handle shooting in multiple directions? Other than that, this seems like it will be a cool game. Keep it up! Very Happy

Yes, I believe so. But you won't be able to shoot in more than one direction at a time.
UPDATE:

I am still working on this, and the sprite is almost finished. It looks ridiculous though, like a pirate ship wheel.

I'll try to post screenies later.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours