There has been some discussion that the large number of shops near the Bazaar may be causing some performance issues with the server. I'd certainly like to help resolve this issue.

First, I think it would be help to verify that the shops ARE the problem, which means that, at some point when there is a performance issue, we back up the bazaar chunks, and then delete all signs and chests from those chunks. This is hardly ideal, but I think it's necessary to prove the origin of trouble.

Second, if we do show the Bazaar is the trouble, a possible way to improve the situation would be to break up the Bazaar into two areas: my base, and the Bazaar itself. Towny does support having towns with noncontiguous plots, although with the current server configuration, users aren't allowed to create such towns themselves. Nevertheless, I am willing to allow an admin to move my base to another area so that the Bazaar and my base are no longer close together, as long as both my base and the Bazaar retain Towny protections. (Towny prevents mob griefing in the Bazaar, allowing shop keepers to have more freedom with lighting their shops. (And I suppose I can remove the walls from the Bazaar.))

So let's stop complaining and start discussing!
Is it the Bazaar's fault? Not specifically, not. But you have to take into account the sheer number of chests and signs that are in that area. It adds tons of load on the server. Then adding in the amount of chests and such that's in your actual base.. Then you add in the chests and signs in other people's bases.. You can see how this adds up, right?

But we need some concrete evidence of the problems, and we need to come up with a solution to them. Other than java sucking.
tifreak8x wrote:
Is it the Bazaar's fault? Not specifically, not. But you have to take into account the sheer number of chests and signs that are in that area. It adds tons of load on the server. Then adding in the amount of chests and such that's in your actual base.. Then you add in the chests and signs in other people's bases.. You can see how this adds up, right?

But we need some concrete evidence of the problems, and we need to come up with a solution to them. Other than java sucking.

Some relatively simple testing showed that signs are less “laggy” than signs, so I’m replacing all of the item frames in my BM shops with signs.

I’ll also try to centralize my chests, because the current condition they are in leaves many unfilled chests.
I’ll also compact ingots/nuggets into blocks and dispose of unnecessary items, like rotten flesh, hopefully saving chest space.

I encourage others to take these same steps.
tifreak8x wrote:
Is it the Bazaar's fault? Not specifically, not. But you have to take into account the sheer number of chests and signs that are in that area. . . . Then you add in the chests and signs in other people's bases. . . . But we need some concrete evidence of the problems, and we need to come up with a solution to them.
Yes, that's what I was getting at when I suggested just clearing the chests and signs from the Bazaar area and seeing if that improves things.

What do you think about moving my base to another part of the map?

_iPhoenix_ wrote:
Some relatively simple testing showed that signs are less “laggy” than [item frames], so I’m replacing all of the item frames in my BM shops with signs. I’ll also try to centralize my chests,. . . and dispose of unnecessary items. . . . I encourage others to take these same steps.
Indeed, these are good steps to take, and I already significantly reduced the number of chests in my base by moving things into shulker boxes and storing those in chests. I encourage others to follow your lead.