Oh wow, that is looking really neat James! Can't wait to see what it looks like once all the goodies have been added! Smile
Woah, this looks epic. Will it have randomly generating dungeons, like a roguelike? Also, will there be just regular fantasy style weapons, or could ninja stuffs be added, too? Seriously, this project already looks like it has more potential than a triple A battery, and thats a pretty high level of potential for something that isn't found at nearby stores. xD
Looks really great JamesV! It reminds me of Shining in the Darkness. I wonder if there could be a way to get rid of the flickering?
RhoAlpha wrote:
Woah, this looks epic. Will it have randomly generating dungeons, like a roguelike? Also, will there be just regular fantasy style weapons, or could ninja stuffs be added, too? Seriously, this project already looks like it has more potential than a triple A battery, and thats a pretty high level of potential for something that isn't found at nearby stores. xD
Thanks! My plan was to have fixed levels, although maybe some degree of randomness could be incorporated to encourage re-play value.. Smile It will be more fantasy weapon based, so swords, axes, daggers, bow & arrow, etc. The fighting will be very similar to DnD style in real time.

DJ_O wrote:
Looks really great JamesV! It reminds me of Shining in the Darkness. I wonder if there could be a way to get rid of the flickering?
That would be awesome, although I can't think of how it could be done on the CSE. Depending on how the CE display turns out, it might look smoother on there, but I guess we'll have to wait and see!

Truth be told, I haven't done any work on this in nearly 2 weeks; I've been using what would normally be "calculator time" to play some Minecraft for a change, but I'll get back on to this (and hopefully some other calc stuff too!) soon enough Smile
JamesV wrote:
That would be awesome, although I can't think of how it could be done on the CSE. Depending on how the CE display turns out, it might look smoother on there, but I guess we'll have to wait and see!

Is VRAM flipping an option in this case? You might be able to make the flicker disappear, but I guess that wouldn't leave much room for in-game elements and the status section.

Still, this is an awesome program! Just keep chipping a away a little bit at a time, and then things just kind of happen. Great job! Very Happy
This looks really great, I hope that you continue this.
It's been a while since I've touched this project, but over the weekend I had a bit of a look through things and started work on porting over what I'd done to the TI-84+CE, which is the calculator I'd eventually like to release this on.

Also, whilst coding is a higher priority at this early point in development, story line elements have been brewing in my head a little bit (which was actually my motivation for opening up the project folder again).

Hopefully I'll have something running on the CE later this week. My coding time is limited but I'll make the most of it Smile
It looks awesome James. I can't wait for the release.
If that was the speed on the CSE, I can't wait to see it on the CE. Very Happy This is awesome, JamesV!
Here is the beginning of it working on the TI-84+CE. It definitely looks much nicer with buffering / no flickering!

Out of curiosity, will you be able to center the screen at all? Or is it possible to maybe increase the size of what's being used? Looks amazing so far Very Happy

Also, when watching this.. I'm seeing the old windows screen saver where you bounce around in mazes.. I almost miss that thing. lol
tifreak8x wrote:
Out of curiosity, will you be able to center the screen at all? Or is it possible to maybe increase the size of what's being used? Looks amazing so far Very Happy

Also, when watching this.. I'm seeing the old windows screen saver where you bounce around in mazes.. I almost miss that thing. 0x5
The rest of the screen will be used by character slots, inventory, text, etc. This older screenshot from the CSE version shows some of the character/inventory stuff which I haven't implemented on the CE yet, but will be soon Smile

Haha yes I remember that screen saver! I can see the resemblance.
I've added in alternating floor/ceiling/wall tiles, so things look less static now. Also put in the blank character panels back in Smile

How's this project going? I was looking forward to seeing updates on development. Smile
seanlego23 wrote:
How's this project going? I was looking forward to seeing updates on development. Smile
Sadly, not a lot of progress has been made. I've added the compass pointer, proper font/text handling, and the basics of the text/status window at the bottom of the screen. But that was a few weeks ago - I've been too busy with work lately Sad I'll get back on to it again though. The next thing I'm working on is improving the main engine to handle more than just floor tiles & wall tiles, etc.
Compass Pointer sounds cool. Hope you have time to work on it soon. Can't wait to see more screenshots. Awesome job!
Awesome work! This is coming together rather well. Will this be released by the end of 2018?
Look at the last post Razz
DanielSquad wrote:
Awesome work! This is coming together rather well. Will this be released by the end of 2018?
That would be nice, but I hate making promises I can't keep. More likely 2019 :/
The games looks great. Reminds me of the "Shining" series. Very Happy

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 2 of 5
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours