I just purchased a new TI-84 Plus CE and while it's an okay calculator, there are specific buttons that do not work including the enter button, the down button, the 0 button, and the graph button. The interesting part is that if I reset the calculator with the button on the back, they all start working again? If I turn off the calculator and turn it back on, they stop working again.

How do I even begin to fix it?

Clearing the RAM does nothing and I haven't managed to clear the OS because holding delete or on while inserting the battery doesn't give me the prompt.
My first inclination would be to reinstall the OS completely.

First you need to get the TI-Connect CE software from here if you don't already have it:
https://education.ti.com/en/software/details/en/CA9C74CAD02440A69FDC7189D7E1B6C2/swticonnectcesoftware

Then you need to grab the OS from here (save it anywhere, just remember where you saved it): https://education.ti.com/en/software/details/en/BCBFECEC5F4242B28E9AE89DA7C4BA59/TI-84-Plus-CE-OS-Apps-Bundle

Then you need to install TI-Connect CE onto your computer.

After that you need to take the power cable you got with the calculator and unplug the end of the cable that is connected to the wall adapter and plug it into a USB port on your computer, plug the other end into your calculator.

Once you have completed that step, you should open up TI-Connect CE and see your calculator appear in the program. Go to the "Actions" menu and click on "Send OS/Bundle to Calculator." A window prompting you to select the OS bundle that you downloaded earlier. Navigate to where you saved it and open the file. It will show warning messages, continue through them (I'm assuming that you don't have anything that you want to save on the calculator given that you haven't really been able to use it). It will do its thing and eventually come up with the screen saying that you have cleared the RAM.

Hopefully this helps. If you have any further questions, feel free to ask. Smile
I have done that now and it works of course but once I turn it off then on again. It doesn't work again. I've reinstalled it via TI-Connect and now inserting the battery and holding 2nd and delete. Either way does not work :/
bcasp12 wrote:
I have done that now and it works of course but once I turn it off then on again. It doesn't work again. I've reinstalled it via TI-Connect and now inserting the battery and holding 2nd and delete. Either way does not work :/

Ok, interesting. You might try asking in the SAX widget (look at the lower left part of your screen as you scroll down). Smile
Let me guess, the negative button and the decimal button also don't work?
MateoConLechuga wrote:

You are correct. I'm assuming you know something I don't haha.
bcasp12 wrote:
MateoConLechuga wrote:

It's a hardware bug from TI. I might have a program that is able to fix it; but since it happens on boot it might be a little harder to get working.

Your best bet may be since you just purchased it to contact TI Cares (you can find them online), and describe the situation. Usually they will be pretty helpful, but if not there might be some other things we can try later.
MateoConLechuga wrote:
bcasp12 wrote:
MateoConLechuga wrote:

It's a hardware bug from TI. I might have a program that is able to fix it; but since it happens on boot it might be a little harder to get working.

Your best bet may be since you just purchased it to contact TI Cares (you can find them online), and describe the situation. Usually they will be pretty helpful, but if not there might be some other things we can try later.

I figured it was some sort of bug to do with the beginning splash screen since it doesn't appear if you reset the calculator. I would contact TI Cares however they are already closed for my local time. I'm willing to try whatever you propose.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours