Is it Gif or Jif?
Gif
 81%  [ 13 ]
Jif
 18%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 16

Personally I prefer Gif, but I'm curious to see what the community thinks.
If you have a reason feel free to post why.

I think it's Gif because Graphics is pronounced with a hard G and there are plenty of words that start with "Gi" that are pronounced using a hard G such as gig, or gift.

This site can explain it better than I could:
http://howtoreallypronouncegif.com/
I know that it is supposed to be pronounced "jif" but I pronounce it "gif" because that's how I've always pronounced it. Your reasoning about how graphics makes sense especially because gif stands for "Graphics Interchange Format" IIRC.

You know what they say, "choosy moms choose Jif." Laughing
I believe that the creator of .gif stated that it's pronounced "jif", but I personally choose to neglect that, since it doesn't sound as nice as "gif".
JPEG = Joint Photographic Experts Group. JPHEG.
Giraffe. Gigolo.

EDIT:

The only point for which a direct counterexample cannot be made is that the developers wanted it to be pronounced "JIF." So that's what I go with.

What if someone introduced themselves to you, calling himself "Jeff," and you later found out it's spelled "Geoff?" Would you start calling him "Gee-off" instead (with either a hard or soft "G", both are wrong) because it looks like it matches the spelling better? Of course you wouldn't. It's his name. Within reason, he can decide how he wishes it to be pronounced. And it would be rather rude to ignore this.
I said this in SAX as well, but both pronunciations might be valid. Is there anyone here versed in British English pronunciation rules who can verify whether under normal circumstances GIF is pronounced "jif" or "gif?" There are differences in the pronunciation of other words between British English and American English, this my very well be one of those words. It all depends on how single-syllable words starting with the letter G are handled in British English.
When I first encountered it, I said "gif" (hard g), and that stuck with me the rest of my life. I like how gif sounds more than jif. (It might be because of the mere-exposure effect, but whatever)

For all I know, the fact that my native language is Spanish influenced my choice in how to pronounce gif in English (I say it differently when speaking in Spanish, because Spanish is mostly phonetic, so there is a clear way on how you're supposed to say "gif"), but it's whatever.

I see you guys saying that if someone told you their name was one thing, and you started calling them another thing, that wouldn't be very nice. I think, that doesn't matter at all, because we're not addressing a person when we say GIF, so there is no one to disrespect by saying it differently. If we take another acronym, for example, "NASA", then there is a right way to say it, because it is the name of a company. I feel that the name of a file format isn't special in any way, and hence does not have a "correct" pronunciation, while the name of a company or person must be pronounced correctly.

Since I have experience with another language, I'm also going to say that English is silly when it comes to "how do I say this word", because it's not consistent in any reasonable way. Every single rule on how to pronounce something in English has many exceptions. That is what I dislike about English. What I'm saying here is that I think there is no right way to say gif, because it isn't a word that originated from any language, or that was derived from somewhere else; It is an acronym that isn't the name of a company, group, person, organization, etc, so I feel it does not have a correct pronunciation.

Code:
08:57:49 <Runer112> anyway, the purpose of the entity naming itself, even a corporation, is so there's some agreement
08:58:06 <Runer112> even if there's no personal offence going on, you want everyone to understand what you're talking about
08:58:17 <Runer112> having one agreed upon pronunciation helps a lot for that
08:58:34 <Runer112> but you'll never get everybody to agree
08:58:43 <Runer112> so just have an authority decide
08:58:53 <Runer112> what better authority than the people who actually created it
I remembered hearing a 200k subscriber YouTuber say "jif" in one of his videos and the comments section had tons of commenters saying that he said it wrong, so... /shrug
ShinyGardevoir wrote:
I remembered hearing a 200k subscriber YouTuber say "jif" in one of his videos and the comments section had tons of commenters saying that he said it wrong, so... /shrug

Yeah. Same thing happens when YouTubers say things like GNU as "neu" or GNOME as "nome." Ubuntu as "eu-bun-too" is another common "wrong" pronunciation that YouTubers get a lot of flack for. I don't really understand why, it just seems to be something that people get upset about.
RogerWilco wrote:
You know what they say, "choosy moms choose Jif." 0x5

I don't know if you're referencing this or not but the creator of the file format actually used the slogan "choosy developers choose gif" in parody of the peanut butter brand (that's gif pronounced jif in the slogan).

I choose to pronounce it how the creator does. So jif for me.
dankcalculatorbro wrote:
RogerWilco wrote:
You know what they say, "choosy moms choose Jif." 0x5

I don't know if you're referencing this or not but the creator of the file format actually used the slogan "choosy developers choose gif" in parody of the peanut butter brand (that's gif pronounced jif in the slogan).

I choose to pronounce it how the creator does. So jif for me.

I didn't realize it at the time of posting this, but I did after reading some stuff on it. I was referencing the TV ad. Very Happy

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours