Just a quick question: Does anybody have a good definition/explanation for what RLET sprites are and how they might be useful?
The C toolchain does.
I'm looking at the toolchain wiki (https://github.com/CE-Programming/toolchain/wiki) but I can't find anything on it
Click on the link there that says "C Libraries Documentation" and then click on "graphx.h"

https://ce-programming.github.io/toolchain/structgfx__rletsprite__t.html
Alright so that didn't contain any useful definitions (for someone who knew nothing) that I could tell, but I found a good definition on this community-run blender docs site and I'm gonna post that here in this aptly named topic because it's the worst when you find a topic like this and expect an answer but just get a redirect:

"RLE sprites store the image in a simple run-length encoded format, where repeated zero pixels are replaced by a single length count, and strings of non-zero pixels are preceded by a counter giving the length of the solid run. RLE sprites are usually much smaller than normal bitmaps, both because of the run length compression, and because they avoid most of the overhead of the bitmap structure. They are often also faster than normal bitmaps, because rather than having to compare every single pixel with zero to determine whether it should be drawn, it is possible to skip over a whole run of zeros with a single add, or to copy a long run of non-zero pixels with fast string instructions."
That definition is a little incorrect with regards to what RLET sprites are as opposed to RLE sprites. Here's a better definition:

RLET sprites store both transparent and opaque pixels of an image. Repeated transparent pixels in an image moving from left to right are encoded with a byte marking the run transparent, followed by a byte with the number of transparent pixels. Opaque pixels are not run-length-encoded (RLE) on a per-color basis, but rather the length contains the number of opaque pixels before the next transparent run. RLET sprites are significantly faster at drawing sprites with transparency than the normal sprite routines, however the library does not support transformations such as flipping and rotation.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours