Hi.

Can someone explain to me the process that I should follow for taking an image off the net and having it loaded/displayed using ASM, I am using spasm-ng. When I attempt to include a bitmap in my application I get an error during the build process ie: #include "myimg.bmp".

"src/image.asm:26: error: Bitmap file of this type not supported: size: 108, compression: 0"

When I take a bitmap from one of the game examples on this site such as the PacMan game, inspecting the bmp files shows me that the image is pretty `clean` in terms of data. It doesn't looks like things like ICC profile data is stored within the image, things like that. I am using GIMP to create my bitmaps, but I am doing something wrong, just don't know what.
You should be using convpng and fasmg, available here and here:

https://github.com/mateoconlechuga/convpng/releases

https://github.com/CE-Programming/documentation

Let us know if you need any help getting things set up and working Smile
Thank you, I'll try that out.
Just a few follow up questions

1. Why do I need to use fasmg over spasm?

2. Is convpng specifically for png files (seems like it is)?

3. What do I do if I have other file formats?

4. Is convpng what everyone uses on this forum to make games or is this what you are recommending me to use?
danielricci wrote:
Just a few follow up questions

1. Why do I need to use fasmg over spasm?

2. Is convpng specifically for png files (seems like it is)?

3. What do I do if I have other file formats?

4. Is convpng what everyone uses on this forum to make games or is this what you are recommending me to use?

1. I'm not sure, but I know a lot of people here prefer it.
2. Yes
3. Convert it to a png
4. Pretty much, there's not really another convenient option as far as I know.

Keep in mind my CE knowledge is only from what I've read, not from actual experience.
To add on to the above message:

1. convpng outputs in fasmg syntax. fasmg is far preferred as it has more features and really good macro support, which makes it ideal for assembly programming.

2. Yes, convpng is only for png files.

3. Convert them to png, which is a lossless image format.

4. Pretty much everyone here uses convpng for image conversion. The PacMan game uses an outdated image converter that was whipped together in a few hours just to get some kind of easy image conversion.
Thank you guys for the response. I will continue with your suggestions.
To clarify you don't have to use these tools for your project.

However you will have a greater chance of finding support from within the local community on these forums if you do.

I was also wondering if you are just tinkering or are you making something larger?

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours