Do you think you would use these libraries?
Yes
 58%  [ 7 ]
No
 41%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 12

I have been working on a addon to ICE called ICElibs CE, which currently includes the following libraries:
    ICEINPUT
    ICECONSI
    ICECALL

Read more here

I have currently been working on some new libraries, ICEFULLOP and ICECONSI.
I will explain these below.

ICEFULLOP:
    This library removes the status bar at the top of the screen and allows you to output the full 12 lines of text or numbers to the screen.

ICERGB:
    This library implements all of ICE's graphics functions in 16-bit RGB565 mode, which ups the number of possible color combinations from 256 to 65,536.
    There is a very handy color picker for RGB565 here
    This makes the colors significantly more vibrant and allows TI-Connect CE to take screenshots again (yay!)

ICERGB:

xLibC:
I voted "No" for the poll simply because I don't use ICE, but this is very cool! If I ever try ICE I'll probably use these libraries!
I am not seeing the utility.

16bpp be 2x slower if graphx used it, why would someone want to use it?
    We are talking 5-20x slower routines and less functionality.
    ICE was not made for these things. Stop treating ICE like a language it is not.
    Also you don't seem to understand how a palette works. You say "colors will be more vibrant" yet fail to understand that you don't have to use the freaking palette provided by ICE.
    No one cares about taking screenshots with TI Connect CE, they want to get animated screenshots of their games.

The below image was generated on a calculator using a 8bpp palette. It wouldn't look much different with a 16bpp palette.

Maybe I shouldn't be so discouraging. It would be a great practice to learn how to make graphics routines. But it should be done in assembly, not ICE.
Aww Mateo, that was actually the most discouraging thing I have read for a few weeks.

I voted yes, just because I know that it would be a cool project to work on and to maybe use. But, I do agree with Mateo...you should write the libraries in assembly, just because you will have more room to make more useful libraries. Also, I think ICE is just a ti-basic program with good graphics. You are basically writing in ti-basic.

And that's not a bad thing. Usually when I want to write a simple game or program, I make sure what I need to do (testing it in ti-basic), and then I move on to a more complex programming language like Java, C, Assembly, or maybe even hex.

If you don't know assembly, then you can easily look up how to program in ASM and easily learn how to program pong or snake withing a day or two.

I wish good luck to you. And if you want suggestions, or any more feedback, then don't feel discouraged to ask in this forum. I know that a lot of NOs can be discouraging, but you now know what you need to do to make it better (and if you don't you can ask).

And for a second I took Mateo's reply personally when I put myself in your shoes, but don't feel any more discouraged, just because you are new to this kind of stuff (I am too). Cemetech is here to learn, teach, and share cool ideas.

And this is a really good idea. But, you didn't know what you would expect when you posted this forum. And now since you have the results, you can learn from it, and move on and make it better. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
dunlavdy wrote:
Aww Mateo, that was actually the most discouraging thing I have read for a few weeks.

I voted yes, just because I know that it would be a cool project to work on and to maybe use. But, I do agree with Mateo...you should write the libraries in assembly, just because you will have more room to make more useful libraries. Also, I think ICE is just a ti-basic program with good graphics. You are basically writing in ti-basic.

And that's not a bad thing. Usually when I want to write a simple game or program, I make sure what I need to do (testing it in ti-basic), and then I move on to a more complex programming language like Java, C, Assembly, or maybe even hex.

If you don't know assembly, then you can easily look up how to program in ASM and easily learn how to program pong or snake withing a day or two.

I wish good luck to you. And if you want suggestions, or any more feedback, then don't feel discouraged to ask in this forum. I know that a lot of NOs can be discouraging, but you now know what you need to do to make it better (and if you don't you can ask).

And for a second I took Mateo's reply personally when I put myself in your shoes, but don't feel any more discouraged, just because you are new to this kind of stuff (I am too). Cemetech is here to learn, teach, and share cool ideas.

And this is a really good idea. But, you didn't know what you would expect when you posted this forum. And now since you have the results, you can learn from it, and move on and make it better. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

First of all, ICE is NOTHING like TI-BASIC, except for syntax.

Second of all, ICE can handle a LOT of complex stuff.

Third of all, I definitely know Assembly, if not extremely well.

Fourth of all, I might be new to Cemetech, but I've been programming in over 15 different programming languages for the greater part of 6 years.

I am writing these libraries as more of a proof of concept than a feasible alternative to GraphX, which is by far the best. Razz
Quote:
First of all, ICE is NOTHING like TI-BASIC, except for syntax.

Second of all, ICE can handle a LOT of complex stuff.

Third of all, I definitely know Assembly, if not extremely well.

Fourth of all, I might be new to Cemetech, but I've been programming in over 15 different programming languages for the greater part of 6 years.

I am writing these libraries as more of a proof of concept than a feasible alternative to GraphX, which is by far the best. Razz

Wow then. I now actually want to see what you can do with ICE. Let us know how it goes when you start getting wanted results.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours