Pieman7373 wrote:
That is an interesting idea, but I feel like it is a tad bit too restrictive, and it might turn out like the ill-fated CC19... no one submitted entries, we had like 2 to judge between at the end

I was thinking more along the lines of CC20, where contestants had to make a game for 3 different categories. It would be interesting to see different programmers' takes on these classic games and how they made the games their own by modifying the original concept.

Maybe people could choose 3 programs to remix before the contest's start instead of having others decide? This would give slightly more leeway as to the program ideas and add to the variation between submissions.

In any case, this was just a quick idea to revive the thread, and it seems to have done that.
In the past, contests around ideas with a simple theme that was easy to implement into any game have done very well, while ones with detailed, restrictive rules have had limited success or, as stated before, like two entries.

In the discord channel we have for discussing contest ideas, I reminded people of our plan for contests in the future (calc one in September, "other" one in March, with sporadic ones in between) and asked for suggestions for contest ideas. commandblockguy suggested that we do a cat-themed contest. Personally, I am concerned about potential overlap with CC13.

Perhaps we could do one about pets living creatures that aren't humans pets in general?
Pets seems a bit vague, just about anything can be a pet, heck some kids have pet rocks!
I'd suggest actually picking an animal that's not a cat. It's fun to see that the entries have some sort of common point (which was the case for the cats in space, and for the winter games because the themes were specific enough)
It also becomes a bit of a nightmare to crown a winner when everyone is submitting random programs that have nothing in common.
You would definitely want to pick an animal that is distinctive and easily recognizeable in pixel-art form (eg. The emperor tamarin because of the crazy mustache or an okapi because of the unusual stripe pattern)
mr womp womp wrote:
Pets seems a bit vague, just about anything can be a pet, heck some kids have pet rocks!
I'd suggest actually picking an animal that's not a cat. It's fun to see that the entries have some sort of common point (which was the case for the cats in space, and for the winter games because the themes were specific enough)
It also becomes a bit of a nightmare to crown a winner when everyone is submitting random programs that have nothing in common.
You would definitely want to pick an animal that is distinctive and easily recognizeable in pixel-art form (eg. The emperor tamarin because of the crazy mustache or an okapi because of the unusual stripe pattern)

That's a good point, I hadn't thought about that.

How about a game for pet rocks? Evil or Very Mad

Edit, speaking of Evil or Very Mad, commandblockguy had yet another suggestion in the discord. It calls for a contest about spies and stealth, and I think this is a great idea.
I’ve been playing some Donkey Kong Land 2 in TI-Boy, so I’d really like to do one with monkeys. Pet rocks would be interesting as well (that’s strange enough that participation would probably be high, and the programs would be hugely varied), and a spy-themed one would definitely spark some good submissions.
I think recreating some famous App Store games (ones that aren't already in the archives) could be pretty cool. The only issue is where would you draw the line between "famous enough" and "too obscure"...

P.S. Yesterday was my birthday Laughing!
Happy birthday!

I do like 'out there' contest ideas though Smile.
_iPhoenix_ wrote:
In the discord channel we have for discussing contest ideas, I reminded people of our plan for contests in the future (calc one in September, "other" one in March, with sporadic ones in between) and asked for suggestions for contest ideas.

Is this still the case? If so, I think there should be the option to make a calc program for the March contest as well. Since that’s pretty soon, here are a few ideas:
-space
-a multipart contest where you would have to make an entry based around each season of the year (fall, spring, summer, winter)
-contest where you have to make an FPS
-ray casting/pseudo 3D contest
-sports (already posted, but it is a good idea, so I’m posting it again)
-cars/auto racing
-air combat/flight simulation

Looking forward to CC24, and thanks to the moderators for hosting the contests up until now, they have been a lot of fun.
Ahh yes, the contest stuff has dropped by the wayside a little - time to reinvigorate!
tr1p1ea wrote:
Ahh yes, the contest stuff has dropped by the wayside a little - time to reinvigorate!

Okay- post contest ideas for CC24 here, people. Also, I think that we should bring back the voting system from CC22, which will make the community more involved in who wins and this (hopefully) increase traffic on the site.
Has there been any movement on a contest?

It looks like we missed possibly the most perfect window for a contest in human history - let's not finish 2020 without another one.
tr1p1ea wrote:
Has there been any movement on a contest?

It looks like we missed possibly the most perfect window for a contest in human history - let's not finish 2020 without another one.

I second this. I also know that there has been some talk on Discord about a new contest, but no real action to make it happen.
OK Let's get the ball rolling - anyone have a contest theme that would be applicable for a ~2month programming competition? Something that would represent a challenge for experts but also not prohibitive for newbies?

Water
Fire
Terrain
RPG
Strategy
Sim
[redacted]

?
"not prohibitive for newbies"
"3D"
Something's not right
ouu ouuu
I got a good one port a simple game to CE!! the best port wins so there is no limitation to what user can "make" (port) as long as they have fun 🤷‍♂️

or maybe make a calculator utility(software) ... for example, note taker, contact book, calendar.

for games, I would say a war-themed game just because everyone is vulnerable at a time like this (covid 19, WWIII).

What do yall think?
I think that if the contest is calculator themed, you should be able to use monochrome or color calculators.
Should there be a poll to vote on contest theme?
That sounds good. But I thought _iPhoenix_ already had a contest? It still doesn't hurt to have two contests though. Very Happy
_iPhoenix_ any update regarding the contest?
CC25: Calculator Cooking
Theme: Make meals good enough to eat!

Reason: There is only one cooking game in existence for calculators, so why not have a contest to make some new ones?

For example, You could make a fast paced game where you would have to press buttons in the right order with the right timing to make a dish, or run a restaurant with multiple roles...the possibilities are endless!

What do you all think?

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 3 of 4
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours