calc84maniac wrote:
Pighit wrote:
Not meaning to be annoying, but is Game Boy Color support still a possibility after you sort out the game boy issues? I expect it would take a long time to implement such a thing, so are you even still considering it?

It's definitely still on the table, though as I've stated before, I want to get the original Game Boy emulation as polished as I can before trying to graft more functionality onto it. I'm currently working on performance and accuracy improvements; it's slow-going but it is what it is. I consider this essential to set the stage for GBC support because the GBC's processor can run twice as fast as the original GB.

RogerWilco wrote:
I have seen that some GameBoy games that support the SGB pallets do get colors, but I've only seen some games that I know for a fact support them have them implemented. Smile

Actually, those are the palettes selected when the game is inserted into a GBC (though of course, only a certain subset of games are in the GBC's internal database).

Super Game Boy palettes are a bit more sophisticated, since they can be changed by the game while it's running and use different palettes in different areas of the screen. At some point I think it would be nice if I added a limited subset of SGB features.

Ok, cool! I never knew that. Thanks for the info Very Happy
I should say, congrats on the release + FEATURE!

Very sad that there are only 3 comments - get to ticalc people!

(Is it in the Cemetech archives? If so, review it people!)
Awesome job, Calc84Maniac! I have downloaded both this and the 83+SE version and have nothing but praise for the project. To be able to get something like this running - AT ALL - on such limited hardware is just incredible, and the performance is unbelievable!

In all honesty, it was tinkerers and modders like you that got me interested in programming and kept me motivated to learn over the years, keep up the good work and optomization wizzardry!
I just made a minor bugfix release to support the changed hardware in new calculator models (Revision M). If you have a new calculator and have been experiencing a hang when loading ROMs, please update to this version.

Edit: Made a fix to the bugfix thanks to jacobly, TI-Boy was behaving oddly when it was run after running the Python app. Please redownload if you've encountered this issue.

Check it out here: https://calc84maniac.github.io/tiboyce/releases/2019/08/24/alpha-v0-1-3-released.html
Congratulations and thanks Smile
What are the the chances of supporting full colorization in games like Pokemon Red/Blue/Yellow and the various DX upgrades? I'm not asking for the full GBC library yet, just the ones that (I think) only add extra color data and otherwise run perfectly on the original Gameboy.

Or would this run into the same issue as the Super Gameboy, where it does more than just colorization?
Coding Enthusiast wrote:
What are the the chances of supporting full colorization in games like Pokemon Red/Blue/Yellow and the various DX upgrades? I'm not asking for the full GBC library yet, just the ones that (I think) only add extra color data and otherwise run perfectly on the original Gameboy.

Or would this run into the same issue as the Super Gameboy, where it does more than just colorization?

Supporting full colorization in games that are both Game Boy and Game Boy Color compatible would actually require full GBC emulation, unfortunately, because they have full access to the entirety of the GBC hardware.

Super Game Boy colorization, on the other hand, would require much less effort to implement (and I would likely try that before full GBC). The Super Game Boy is largely the same as an original Game Boy except that it can send commands to the connected SNES, such as colorization info and border images. In most games, these additional features are merely superficial and don't affect the game logic, so I can get away with emulating only the subset I care about (and not emulating an actual SNES, obviously).

I believe the Pokemon games are among the titles that are colorized on Super Game Boy, though some other games (like Link's Awakening DX) only have a special border image.
Sorry, but this isn't an actual progress post (though there is unreleased stuff on the dev branch if anyone wants to build it themselves and widen the test coverage, wink wink).

What I'm actually posting about is that I made my first blog post about the emulator design! It's just setting up the ideas for now, but hopefully I can provide some more in-depth brain dumps in the future.

As for actual emulator progress, I've been super distracted but there is stuff going on in the background, still on emulation accuracy/stability issues. Just extremely slowly. Hopefully I can pick up the pace properly someday soon.
I have no idea what's up with the ROM converter on the main Ti-Boy CE website on github, but the ROM files are not converting to .8xv. I've tried some old .gb files that used to work a couple years back but now don't. Does anyone else have this issue?
There's this "Hi-Color mode" on the GBC that allows you to display more than 2000 colors at once. Of course, this goes far over the 256 color limit of the CE's 8-bit display mode. What's your opinion on using 16-bit color mode for "Hi-Color mode"?
I guess one of the issues is that this is not a GBC emulator, rather a GB emulator with some of the visual perks you get from playing GB games on a GBC.
I was talking about a potential scenario where calc84maniac starts implementing GBC support, but that wasn't clear at all.
After two years of development, I've finally released TI-Boy CE Alpha v0.2.0! This brings many performance and accuracy improvements to Game Boy emulation, along with support for game-specific configs. Check it out here!

I also made a performance comparison video of the opening cutscene of Pokémon Gold:
Very awesome! Not like it was slow but the speed increase shown here is great.
Wow, that's a very noticeable boost especially on the underwater scene! Great work!
Amazing! Even on the title screen near the end the speed improvement is very noticeable.
This looks great! I'm really impressed with the performance boost, and I can't wait to give it a try myself. Great job! Very Happy
If anyone downloaded the release already, please redownload it for an important bugfix. I somehow broke some games' access to save RAM with a commit a couple of days before release... I guess I should have taken code freeze more seriously!
All this extra speed means that GB Color support should be done next week right Wink
I've just made a small bugfix release, fixing an issue someone found which could cause auto save state loading to occasionally fail in games which use a clock (such as Pokémon Gold and Silver). More info on the release here.

The funny thing is this bug seems to have existed since before even the first release, but I guess nobody discovered it because the games it affects had such poor performance! The bug was related to reading uninitialized SafeRAM, so I never encountered the issue myself due to generally not running any other programs in my test environment...

MateoConLechuga wrote:
All this extra speed means that GB Color support should be done next week right Wink

Wink

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
» Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 9 of 13
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours