Hello everyone! Now that I've actually got some time on my hands Very Happy , I feel like it's time to get back into the programming world. But while I do have a TI-Nspire CX II, I can't get any of the connecting software to work.

Specifically, when I installed the TI-Nspire Computer Link, from the TI website, it wasn't able to see that my calculator was connected to the computer.

And.... TiLP is a little bit complicated. I did look at the readme, but I hardly understand any of the jargon that it contains.

Also, when I attempt to install it, it is unable to download the files. I've hit "Retry" quite a few times, but it's not working.

I've also tried downloading TI-Connect, but every time I have it search for my calc, it'll get through searching for the calc, but it will freeze on the TIDeviceExplorer screen after it is done searching for the calc. It'll just sit there, with "...…..Connecting. Please Wait..." on the first line, and not do anything.
Cause once I get this to work, I can install Ndless, and PROPERLY learn C.
Quote:
Specifically, when I installed the connecting software, the one from the TI website, it wasn't able to see that my calculator was connected to the computer.

Sadly, the older TI-Nspire Computer Link Software does not, and will never, support the CX II. You need to use a full-blown, heavyweight TI-Nspire Computer (Student, presumably) Software of the CX II variety. You should somehow have a license for such a thing as part of the CX II purchase.

Quote:
And.... TiLP is a little bit complicated. I did look at the readme, but I hardly understand any of the jargon that it contains.

TILP (libticalcs) does not support the CX II yet: it uses a different protocol, namely some form of wrapper for a modified version of the Nspire series' NavNet protocol. That "NNSE" protocol was partially reverse-engineered and reimplemented outside of libticalcs.
The beginning of the Windows README just describes a straightforward one-time manual setup procedure of several minutes, to work around the fact that Windows makes it difficult to deal with USB devices in non-standard class, such as all of TI's calculators and the SilverLink cable. Not only Windows mandates drivers for those devices in non-standard class, but worse, using more than one driver (which is necessary for licensing reasons, libticables and TI's sofware can't use each other's drivers) requires installing some extra platform-specific complexity known as a "filter driver" - and the authors of filter drivers advise against installing them in an automated manner. MacOS X, Linux and the BSDs do not bother users and programmers with any of that stupidity.

Quote:
Also, when I attempt to install it, it is unable to download the files. I've hit "Retry" quite a few times, but it's not working.

Some outdated installers are known to do that. The beta version, https://tiplanet.org/beta/tilp_setup.exe , is supposed to work. But anyway, for now, per the above, don't bother - no version of TILP (libticables) supports the CX II.

Quote:
I've also tried downloading TI-Connect, but every time I have it search for my calc, it'll get through searching for the calc, but it will freeze on the TIDeviceExplorer screen after it is done searching for the calc. It'll just sit there, with "...…..Connecting. Please Wait..." on the first line, and not do anything.

TI-Connect targets the old models, up to the 84+CSE. It has never supported the Nspire series, and AFAIK, it's not being updated anymore.

Quote:
Cause once I get this to work, I can install Ndless, and PROPERLY learn C.

Ndless does not support the CX II series, and is unlikely to support it for a while. The CX II's hardware is very different from that of the CX I, it's quite a bit more locked-down and harder to reverse-engineer, let alone exploit.
And if you really want to properly learn C/C++ (which is increasingly being considered a bad idea, considering how hard making safe C/C++ programs is - way too many vulnerabilities are a direct consequence of the usage of memory-unsafe C/C++), you should use a computer, which would get you far more power and fewer constraints Smile
I do have a license, and thank you for all that.

Time to scour google for CX II software.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours