So, I am trying to have a Python server for the future Star Trek game run on port 1701 on my raspberry pi. Things work, but I run into issues where if I end the script (Ctrl Z) the port remains bound but the service isn't running. I would (preferably) like to set this server up in such a way that I can run it using:

Code:
python3 server.py start|stop|restart

I am open to other suggestions. What is the best way to do this?

Edit: Successfully resolved this using systemd.
I was going to say, use systemd: it's much better at this than you can be without a lot of work.

Perhaps you'd care to share what you did, though?
Well, what I did was fairly simple. I have the Python script in an arbitrary directory (in this case it's in /home/trek/server). I created a unit file in /lib/systemd/system that looks like this:

Code:

[Unit]
Description=Star Trek Server
After=multi-user.target
Conflicts=getty@tty1.service

[Service]
Type=simple
ExecStart=/usr/bin/python3 /home/trek/server/setup.py
StandardInput=tty-force
PIDFile=/var/run/trekserv.pid

[Install]
WantedBy=multi-user.target

After that, you can use systemctl start|stop|status trekserv.service as root to interact with the daemon. I then realized it was still erroring, and after doing a bit more research, realized that you need a PID file, which systemd can access and remove but not create/modify, so I added this Python and then called it during the server's startup:

Code:

def writePidFile():
    pid = str(os.getpid())
    f = open('/var/run/trekserv.pid', 'w')
    f.write(pid)
    f.close()

And now I can stop/start the server using the systemd syntax.
You may also wish to not run it as root, since that's generally good practice and everything appears to already be in a user's home directory.

Code:
[Service]
User=trek

You can also do away with the PID file completely; it's mostly only needed for services of Type=forking (traditional daemons) because the spawned daemon in that design can't be reliably followed; when you have Type=simple, it can always identify your PID because the service process is exactly the one that systemd starts.
Tari wrote:
You may also wish to not run it as root, since that's generally good practice and everything appears to already be in a user's home directory.

Code:
[Service]
User=trek

I actually don't have a trek user, i do have a trekdev group that's mostly used to give contributors access. /home/trek is just a psuedo "home" for the trek project. I suppose I could create a trek user.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours