Heyo. I'm going to buy an 84 plus CE in a few weeks for school stuff and some games. Since I don't have a Windows/Mac computer at my house, would it be possible to use my school chromebook with Vmware (it has Windows 10 on it) to upload programs to it?

Thanks.
You can't get VMWare on a chromebook. Especially if it is a school one, as you can't even use another operating system or install Crouton. Also, I don't think VMWare supports USB.
De2290 wrote:
You can't get VMWare on a chromebook. Especially if it is a school one, as you can't even use another operating system or install Crouton. Also, I don't think VMWare supports USB.

Huh? My school does. It's called VMware horizon, i dunno if it's different from normal vmware
VMware Horizon is a thin client application, so you're not actually running Windows on your chromebook- Windows is running on a server somewhere and you're just getting the display. It probably doesn't support forwarding USB devices (and if it did I'd be skeptical it would work well), so that approach is unlikely to work.

What you probably can do is use TiLP (for Linux) inside a Crostini environment- as long as you have ChromeOS 75 or newer and your device supports Linux it should be possible to run TiLP.
Tari wrote:
VMware Horizon is a thin client application, so you're not actually running Windows on your chromebook- Windows is running on a server somewhere and you're just getting the display. It probably doesn't support forwarding USB devices (and if it did I'd be skeptical it would work well), so that approach is unlikely to work.

What you probably can do is use TiLP (for Linux) inside a Crostini environment- as long as you have ChromeOS 75 or newer and your device supports Linux it should be possible to run TiLP.

Oof. I'll probably just buy a cheapo used windows 10 notebook on ebay for like 65 bucks.
It might be possible to do this from a Raspberry Pi, which can be found for $5 or $10 and run Linux. You'd need an SD card, keyboard, mouse, monitor and the cabling for it, though.
Nik wrote:
It might be possible to do this from a Raspberry Pi, which can be found for $5 or $10 and run Linux. You'd need an SD card, keyboard, mouse, monitor and the cabling for it, though.

Success! I got my Pi 4 in the mail and just got around to trying to do this. The "Add/Remove" software that acts like a program store in a sense in a sense was a million times easier in getting TILP installed than doing it manually.

Everything works; but I did have a little trouble getting it to recognize my calc but this was solved with configuring it myself and disabling USB scanning upon startup within the program.
Quote:
The "Add/Remove" software that acts like a program store in a sense in a sense was a million times easier in getting TILP installed than doing it manually.

By doing it that way, you've installed an outdated version of libti*+tilp which won't work as well with your 84+CE as the version you could build yourself Wink
That said, "everything works" is a sign that it's TILP 1.18: the older version didn't work for most purposes against a 84+CE, TI changed multiple things in the DUSB/CARS protocol.

The install script, for which a shortlink is https://ti-pla.net/tilpinst , lists the build dependencies for 6 or 7 families of Linux distros. RPis are often using Debian (Raspbian), so you're covered. Also, when its execution ends, it points to the file containing the information for one-time setup of udev rules which will then enable running TILP as a non-root user.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours