Is there a way to create Lua applications/programs on the Nspire Touchpad CAS (yes, I bought one Razz) on calc? I've tried both Ocula and LuaTerm, but I can't figure out how to make a Lua program run when you open a document. Ocula makes you paste code into a page to run it, and LuaTerm just seems to be a console that can't run whole programs. So is there any way to actually create Lua programs on clac?
Jens' Script editor is the recommended program to use, it has tons of nice features Smile
It's not maintained anymore (last version 2.2.1 from jan. 2017) but should in theory still work...

That looks really useful. I wonder why I couldn't find anything about it when I was doing research...

Anyways, thanks!

Edit: This is kinda embarrassing but after Kaluwolf mention in SAX people not doing research on things...
Kaluwolf wrote:
7:12:45 PM [Kaluwolf] no I mean, THEY researched little to none
7:12:22 PM [#] [disjax] [iPhoenix] at least to get you started
7:12:16 PM [#] [disjax] [iPhoenix] There's actually ample information, usually
7:11:41 PM [Kaluwolf] "research" seems to be current among Cemetech's aspiring to aspire programmers. Gives the notion that you looked at resources on the internet about a said topic, when in reality there was little to none. Razz

...I decided to google "ti nspire on calc lua editor," and JCE was the first result. I had been looking for things related to the other programs I mentioned; if they could create programs, how to use them, etc..., but I never thought to simply type my question into google.
I guess I have to work on my research strategies Razz
Lol, what I said above also applies to me. Razz

Additionally, you didn't include the entire conversation:

Quote:
7:11:41 PM [Kaluwolf] "research" seems to be current among Cemetech's aspiring to aspire programmers. Gives the notion that you looked at resources on the internet about a said topic, when in reality there was little to none. Razz
7:12:16 PM [#] [disjax] [iPhoenix] There's actually ample information, usually
7:12:22 PM [#] [disjax] [iPhoenix] at least to get you started
7:12:45 PM [Kaluwolf] no I mean, THEY researched little to none
7:13:09 PM [#] [disjax] [iPhoenix] yeah, well sometimes it's hard to look for stuff when you don't know what to look for Smile
7:14:22 PM [Kaluwolf] which brings us full circle back to "research". So in fact they should say "I'm researching [insert topic], eventhough I won't know what to look for."?
7:14:52 PM [#] [disjax] [iPhoenix] Well, sometimes you don't know that you don't know what you're looking for
7:15:02 PM [#] [disjax] [iPhoenix] see the Dunning-Kruger effect
Well I'm glad I'm not the only one Wink
So I downloaded JSE, and it's really nice to use, but I don't know how to actually create a program with it. I get how to execute a program from inside of it, but can I create a separate program that executes when you open its document?
I'm not convinced you can do that. TI's implementation of Lua on the Nspire is severely crippled: it doesn't have the io and os packages. Nspire documents use a highly complex and peculiar format, you can't create them easily. You can save a copy of your JSE-based document, but I don't think this can be used (alone) to get rid of JSE.
On a computer, using the Nspire computer software, I think you should be able to extract your program's Lua source code, hopefully in a not too mangled form, and then paste it into a new document.
Alright, I guess I'm just going to have to use my pc. What software would I use to extract the source code?

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours