As I've gotten more familiar with my TI-Nspire CX II CAS, I've noticed a few design choices that strike me as odd, the first of which being the format of expression that the Nspire considers "simplified." By default, it will filter the output such that radicals are expressed as fractional exponents, and polynomials are automatically factored. These couple oddities (with a couple other small things I've forgotten about) led me to wonder: what is the accepted standard for formatting of simplified math expressions? As far as ease of use goes, it is a lot more tedious for me to rewrite expressions in my head that the calculator formats oddly.

Is there an expression formatting standard that either I or TI is not adhering to? Either way, I think options should be available to customize the simplification of output, since its automatic factoring make it impossible to see a multiplied polynomial in plaintext.
You can use the expand() command to to keep it out of factored form. FWIW, "factored" is definitely part of polynomial simplification in my opinion. It makes it easy to spot the zeros, too.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours