Been making games on BASIC to show my friends for a while and thought, “Surely there’s a better way to do this, it’s so slow.” And then I found AXE. I’ve been playing Axe made games and haven’t even known it! So I wanted to learn this language. Love that it can be done on-calc but I kinda need to learn the language before I do much. I’ve heard there’s some bad RAM crashes that can happen. I’ve read the entire documentation in the axe folder. As well as the commands. I don’t fully understand. Can someone push me toward a tutorial not made by the axe creator? Or provide help in the comments of this very post! Anything is helpful.
FrostyCodes wrote:
“Surely there’s a better way to do this, it’s so slow.”

Programming is an exciting topic, with unlimited possibilities. However, don't rush yourself into something your not ready for. Axe is going to be a steep learning curve for you with your current 3(?) weeks of programming experience. I encourage you to pick up JavaScript on khanacademy to learn the fundamentals of programming in a fun, interactive (and definitely easy to understand and FREE!!) videos. Once you master these concepts, start tackling other languages. Once you learn your first language (not including TI-BASIC Razz) the subsequent ones will become simply a matter of learning syntax.

FrostyCodes wrote:
I’ve read the entire documentation in the axe folder. As well as the commands. I don’t fully understand.

Not to be rude, but saying "I don't understand [insert programming language]" is the equivalent of saying "I'm lost, can you pick me up, but I have no idea where I am." If you have a specific question, we (well, I myself actually don't know much, if anything, about Axe) will gladly point you in the right direction.

FrostyCodes wrote:
I’ve heard there’s some bad RAM crashes that can happen.

I am not entirely sure about the stability of Axe, but learning a language on websites such as khanacademy will eliminate these problems while giving you the same programming experience.

Also I found this complete guide on Axe here.

Happy Coding and best of luck!!
Thank you so much. I'm sure this'll help thanks!
Kaluwolf wrote:
Programming is an exciting topic, with unlimited possibilities. However, don't rush yourself into something your not ready for. Axe is going to be a steep learning curve for you with your current 3(?) weeks of programming experience. I encourage you to pick up JavaScript on khanacademy to learn the fundamentals of programming in a fun, interactive (and definitely easy to understand and FREE!!) videos. Once you master these concepts, start tackling other languages. Once you learn your first language (not including TI-BASIC Razz) the subsequent ones will become simply a matter of learning syntax.

1) JavaScript is more advanced then axe.
2) JavaScript isn't a calculator programming language.

Kaluwolf wrote:

FrostyCodes wrote:
I’ve read the entire documentation in the axe folder. As well as the commands. I don’t fully understand.

Not to be rude, but saying "I don't understand [insert programming language]" is the equivalent of saying "I'm lost, can you pick me up, but I have no idea where I am." If you have a specific question, we (well, I myself actually don't know much, if anything, about Axe) will gladly point you in the right direction.

^This

FrostyCodes wrote:

All crashes are caused by mistakes in your code, so write good code :V Make sure to backup all your code and keep it archived when testing your program. Crashes aren't really an issue as long as everything on your calc is archived.
c4ooo wrote:
Kaluwolf wrote:

Kaluwolf wrote:

FrostyCodes wrote:

^This

FrostyCodes wrote:

All crashes are caused by mistakes in your code, so write good code :V Make sure to backup all your code and keep it archived when testing your program. Crashes aren't really an issue as long as everything on your calc is archived.

Also good points thanks! Where do you think the best place to start axe is?
(probably the documentation id guess
c4ooo wrote:
FrostyCodes wrote:

Or just test everything on an emulator while it's in beta cycle. When you're about as adept at writing code as Thanos is at being inevitable... glares at self... you will not underestimate the safety of using an emulator.
ps: You will likely end up being a better code-writer than me. But still. Test on an emulator.
Kaluwolf wrote:
Axe is going to be a steep learning curve for you with your current 3(?) weeks of programming experience.

also I've had more experience than being on Cemetech, probably more than a year, but thanks for looking at my profile Very Happy
c4ooo wrote:

I am simply saying that JavaScript is an almost complete guide to JavaScript and will introduce the fundamental concepts of programming in easy small-bite portions at a time... which he can then take and go back and learn Axe (which looks bears resemblance to the ICE compiler, but for the ti83+)
An extremely comprehensive Axe tutorial (basically like a self-guided course) was made by a few French users back in the day. The main downside, of course, is that it's written in French. It's also relatively old and is only available in a couple of archived forms, in which some of the original formatting and links are broken. You can view an archived version of it online here, and if you're using Chrome, translate it from the right-click menu on the page or with the icon in the address bar. There's also a pdf version here.
Ok so now I have looked at the French Axe tutorial and I have now figured things out a bit. But I still have questions, what's the best way to make sprites? And is the only way to draw them?
If you want to create sprites on your calculator, tileIt! is probably the most advanced tool and was made especially with Axe in mind (and made with Axe!). There are probably all kinds of advanced sprite editors for computers, but Pixelscape is a decent online one made with Axe in mind and was made to complement tileIt!.

Regarding "And is the only way to draw them?", it looks like you accidentally a word.
Runer112 wrote:
If you want to create sprites on your calculator, tileIt! is probably the most advanced tool and was made especially with Axe in mind (and made with Axe!). There are probably all kinds of advanced sprite editors for computers, but Pixelscape is a decent online one made with Axe in mind and was made to complement tileIt!.

Regarding "And is the only way to draw them?", it looks like you accidentally a word.

Nice! Thanks and I look forward to using it!
Learning to code in Axe really is an exciting upgrade from Ti-BASIC. Even if you're writing fairly decent programs in basic, they'll likely still run slower than your very first program in Axe.

It's also really helpful that the grammar/syntax is largely the same. Lots of basic code will also just work in Axe with little modification.

I just finished a project in Axe and I found that writing in SourceCoder3 with the inbuilt jsTified emulator right here on Cemetech has been incredibly helpful. I really recommend it. There's generally no need to send it over to physical hardware until you're actually testing the UI/UX of your program.

That said, you probably know this by now seeing as this thread has been dead for nearly two months lol

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours