Hi,

My old HP42s has died and I'm in the run for a new calculator.

As an automation engineer I do a lot conversion between binary and integer (unsigned and signed), and decimal numbers.

I've made a little windows forms app to demonstrate the feature I like to have.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CCL8kY-oQbU&feature=youtu.be

If I type in the binary field then the decimal field changes.
If I type in the decimal field the the binary field changes.

Is this possible to program on the HP Prime or the TI NSpire ?
Which calculator is best for programming custom apps?
Both the HP Prime and the TI-Nspire are capable of running custom programs and functions that you write or download, so it's really a difference between whether you prefer TI-BASIC or PASCAL. You can write Lua applications for the TI-Nspire, but if all you need to do is math, the built-in language and IDE will be more than plenty.

I've always been partial to the TI-Nspire CAS series, mostly because of my familiarity with TI-BASIC functions and TI products in general. I know that the TI-Nspire has built-in functions already for conversion between bases, and I assume the HP Prime does too. Regardless, base conversion is a fairly simple thing to write a function for. If you do end up buying an Nspire, I suggest you buy the CAS model of whatever you get so your capabilities are not locked.

Depending on what you'll be doing, I'd also look at a TI-89 Titanium or Voyage 200, both of which natively support math in other bases and base conversion.

Could you elaborate on what "custom apps" you intend to write beyond base conversion?
If you want a bit more info about his specifics, he posted on HP Forum as well: https://hpmuseum.org/forum/thread-14491.html

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours