I found some remnants of the TICI project on TIcalc and it lead me to this website. I've been looking for a fun project to do in my spare time and my brain is telling me this one is it. If anyone has any info on the project, has attempted to go anywhere with it, or is intrested in general, dont hesitate to post here because I need all the help I can get. I can handle hardware but I am a COMPLETE newbie to the software side of these things. So far im thinking of focusing on the TI-83/84 calculators as a main platform, although it would be interesting to make similar drivers/programs for older and newer models as well. Hopefully this ends up going somewhere as im ready to have some fun with it.
Thanks,
Gage
The main limitation of TICI (and for those unfamiliar with this, here's the published information on ticalc.org) is that it uses the legacy I/O link exclusively, so it's unusable on the new calculators that only have USB ports.

Otherwise it's just bit-banging the desired protocol over the serial port. The only notable thing a hub does is provide a 5V supply for a peripheral.

In short I'd say there's not much of note in "TICI" as a group; it's more of a loose collection of hardware peripherals that attach to the I/O port.
I understand that this project (if you can even call it that) is very limited and pretty basic. My main focus was the calculators that used the classic link. I plan to refine it and maybe expand upon what it can do. I realize that this is most likely very hard to do if not impossible with the limitations given, but its something I want to have fun with anyway. Ive never really done anything with calculators before so I fugured this would be a good way to start off.
Hmm, this actually sounds very similar to my CALCnet Box idea. I'll update later with more details, but maybe we could co-create something that mixes the two? The main thing I think is going for the CALCnet Box is the ability to link to newer calcs, and accessories too.

Update: So here's the rest of the post.

First off, I've been dealing with calculator software for a long time, and you said you can handle the hardware. That already covers both bases on that front, but let's take a look at these two projects: Kerm's TICI, and my CALCnet Box.

TICI Pros:
-Supplies its own power
-Has 3.5mm along with 2.5mm
-Allows you to use accessories
-That's it...

TICI Cons:
-No USB
-No newer calc support
-No development happening for it
-Only 1 accessory at a time
-I could go on...

CALCnet Box Pros:
-Links 4 old calcs and 1 new calc per box
-Allows daisychaining
-Implements USB for older calcs too
-Allows accessories
-Supplies its own power
-Runs it's own software and can be updated

CALCnet Box Cons:
-Will likely be expensive unless I cut out some features

So, I'm not trying to praise my own project here, it's just that I don't know much about TICI yet. But I would really enjoy co-operating with you to make something cool. Here's a link to the original post I made about my project, check it out to see what it is! The Fantasticabulous CALCnet Box!

If you're interested, we could use Discord to communicate. Just PM me and I'll give you an invite.
I sent an invite. It's in outbox, not sentbox. I think that means it didn't go through. Did you get it?
i just got it but the invite is invalid
Are you still there? I sent a friend request, tried DMing you (didn't work cuz we're not friends), inviting you manually, and you've not done anything.
I feel bad flooding this thread, but I've gotten tired of PM's because they take like 10 minutes to go through.
Try sending me an email, dicord isnt showing a friend request.
This is the first update to The TICI revival project. I am beginning work on a project based on TICI and CALCnet with anotehr user and will be creating a new topic for future updates on the project when it begins to get going. (I will post the link here in case anyone needs it) Thats all I have for now, look for the new topic soon.
-Gage
Not sure how much I can contribute, BUT, CALCnet and the TICI seem to have something in common: calculator linking. I've actually been messing with some serial programming lately and have made a few arduino projects, so I actually know exactly how to make CALCnet cheaper, just use an Arduino Mega or string a bunch of Micros. One could have any calculator (even USB calcs, with a stable realease of CommandBlockGuy's serial libraries) send serial data to an arduino and use it to control any peripheral, or build their own peripherals as well. An Arduino Mega has 6 pairs of TX/RX pins, used to send data over USB ports, in the form of serial. You could have multiple calcs plugged in to a "hub" of sorts, and use that to route data, such as:

og/12/3/"Hello calculator #3!"

og/ = Outgoing, to tell the hub where to send data.
/12/ = send data to hub 12 (if you chain hubs together, which is possible)
/3/ = a command to the hub to send the data across the TX pin to the third calculator
final string = data you wish to send

It is possible to string arduinos together, so one could have multiple mega's making a huge calculator network (or... A BEOWULF CALCULATOR) that could quickly send data from hub to hub until the desired hub sends the data through the desired port. This whole process could be all software on the calcs with the arduinos running code. You could even have the peripherals attached to these hubs, with a "graphics card" LED matrix controller on one hub, and a "soundcard" arduino on anther. This was a long-term project of mine, and I was hoping to somehow obtain more calcs or build a mock-up with some arduinos just to see if this is feasible. I hope this helps, I'd be glad to work on building some sort of hub system if you want.
CALCULATOR BEOWULF CLUSTER.

My lands, if we get this to work the world will never be the same...

Wikipedia Definition of a Beowulf Cluster

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours