Hey я'll,
A friend ["friend" from now on for anonymity they requested], is on a mission trip in Brasil right now, and cannot talk to me because of religious rules. Friend has sent me a program for the Ti-84PCE calculator that calculates pi. A masochist I am, of course want to put this on an almost-three-decades-old calculator, namely the Ti-82. If you saw my most recent post, this is specifically talking about the Ti-82 Parcus [with an optimised PCB and firmware to pair], the one that I have received in the mail today [hekin early!]. This specific model of the Ti-82 [in my sieve prime generator testing I do on my calcs], significantly outperforms the 1995 model I had first. That, is why i chose this model, so it's a little less painful to run.

Here's the program :

Code:
1->C
ClrHome
Input "Total Interations",I
Input "Max Value",M
Disp "Estimate of π"
Disp ""
Disp "I="
For(A,0,1)
  randInt(0,M)->F
  randInt(0,M)->G
  If gcd(F,G)=1 // this line isn't possible on the Ti-82
  C+1->C
  √(6A/C)->P
  Output(4,1,P)
  Output(5,3,A)
End

Here's where you's come in. I've seen what this rand(a) site on the interwebs can do. Cemetech, could you find a way to fix that line [see comment] for the Ti-82, I frankly couldn't find a way.

Thank.

Peace
--izder456
You could try implementing a gcd algorithm yourself. The Wikipedia page for GCD lists a few methods, though I don't know which would work best on a TI-82: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greatest_common_divisor#Calculation.

You might also be able to adapt this program: http://tibasicdev.wikidot.com/extended-euclidean-algorithm
commandblockguy wrote:
You could try implementing a gcd algorithm yourself. The Wikipedia page for GCD lists a few methods, though I don't know which would work best on a TI-82: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greatest_common_divisor#Calculation.
[/url]

seems like the binary one would work best, as to find an even fPart( must equal 0 when 2 is in the divisor.
I'll try that...

Thank.

Peace
--izder456

edit :
I just used the binary gcd algo and it's not working very well.
here's the code :

Code:
1->C
ClrHome
Input "Total Iterations:",I
Input "Max Value:",M
Disp "Estimate of greek_pi"
Disp ""
Disp "I="
For(A,0,1)
 randInt(0,M)->A
 randInt(0,M)->B
 // If gcd(A,B)=1
 0->D
 While ((fPart(A/2)=0) and (fPart(B/2)=0))
  A/2->A
  B/2->B
  D+1->D
 End
 // new gcd algo
 While F!=G
  If (fPart(F/2)=0)
  Then:F/2->A
  Else:If (fPart(G/2)=0)
  Then:G/2->G
  Else:If F>G
  Then:(F-G)/2->A
  Else:(G-F)/2->B
  End
  End
  End
  F->H
 End
 If H*2^D=1
 // end gcd algo
 C+1->C
 sqrt(6A/C)->P
 Output(4,1,P)
 Output(5,3,A)
End

commandblockguy, could you help me with this? <-- scratch that

edit 2 :
If got It working with the code for tibasicdev. Doing this, I realised that randint doesn't work on the ti-82 {see comment}

Code:
1->C
ClrHome
Input "Total Iterations:",I
Input "Max Value:",M
Disp "Estimate of greek_pi"
Disp ""
Disp "I="
For(A,0,I)
 int(rand(M))->F // new randInt(0,M) alt
 int(rand(M))->G // ^^^
 // euclidian algo
 {F,G}->L1
 {1,0}->L2
 {0,1}->L3
 1->T
 While L1(dim(L1))
  T+1->T
  int(L1(Ans-1)/L1(Ans))->Q
  L1(T-1)-Ans*L1(T->L1(T+1)
  L2(T-1)-Q*L2(T->L2(T+1)
  L3(T-1)-Q*L3(T->L3(T+1)
 End
 If L1(T)=1
 // if gcd(F,G)=1
 C+1->C
 sqrt(6A/C)->P
 Output(4,1,P)
 Output(5,3,A)
End

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours